• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Crash when displaying some "Wonders Built Movies"

metaloid

Chieftain
When building some kind of wonders, the game goes for the spot and then displays the wonder movie. In my computer, the game keeps crashing in some wonders, like "The Great LightHouse" or the "Mausolleum of Mussolos" (don't know the exact game of the last one:crazyeye: ).

As anyone got the same problem ???
This is really anoying cause I can't build any kind of wonder, beacause of the "crash fear" :blush:

I've a sony vaio laptop with 1 GB RAM, 1.66 Ghz Core Duo Processor and a GeForce Go 7400.

Possibly a problem with low amount of video memory..

You could lower the graphics settings, or turn off wonder movies in the graphics options

The game runs very smooth with top settings. But you may be correct about the memory problem. This graphic cards take over your RAM :p. However, that problem should be predicted by Firaxis.
Is there any way one can contact them, exposing this "bug"?

Is there any way one can contact them, exposing this "bug"?

That's the idea of this forum - I would imagine that firaxis will read it.

Posting a directx diagnostic would probably help.

1. Click on "start" then "run"
  2. Type in dxdiag.exe and hit enter.
  3. When it has finished loading, hit the Save all information button to save the info as a text file. You can then paste that here, or attach it as an attachment.

I suggest that you try updating your video card drivers to try and fix it.

Here it is, as you asked. Thanks for the help:goodjob:

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    45.9 KB · Views: 139
I'm also getting a crash to desktop when starting a wonder movie (Stonehenge in my case).

The error message refers to a texture memory problem, but I never got this before with vanilla.

Vidcard is Nvidia FX5600 with 128Mb.

Here it is, as you asked. Thanks for the help:goodjob:

OK - your drivers aren't that old, but it is probably worth trying an update for them (at least if it doesn't work, we can eliminate that as a possibility).

Unfortunately, because you have a laptop, I wouldn't recommend just going to nVidia's site and downloading new drivers. Instead, I suggest that you go to the sony website, and enter your laptop details to download drivers (from the "support" tab on the main page).

I had the same problem, but after turning my resolution down to 1280x1024 everything was fine and I have not seen any more crashes. (This seems weird, because the game runs fine on 1600x1200, until it crashes offcourse)

I did notice that every time an opponent has something to offer/demand, it takes almost two seconds to load the 'popup window'. Pretty annoying but I can live with that.

The driver I'm currently using is the latest for my card series (7xxx). I also have the anoyance described above, and more :eek: Last time, I was playing until the map got pretty large. When fast zooming to a different location in the map, the game hangs some seconds and then loads the objects, until, at a certain time... PUFF... BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH, indicating a failure in a nvidia DLL. This is unaceptable, don't you think :confused: ?

Could you try going into your ini file and setting:
HideMovieBackground = 1

Does that fix the wonder movie crash? You may also want to turn down some of the graphics settings.

LL Cool Jay

This might help you track it down.

Unfortunately I couldn't capture the detailed error info. Says it wrote it to some temp file, but the file wasn't there when I looked for it.

Ill try turning of the background and see if that stops it happening, tho of course it won't be conclusive.

I am haveing also problems with videos and I am also using a laptop. After setting the resolution to widescreen (away from default shape) i was not even able to enter the game without crashing. to bypass i had to disable startup movie from the ini file. now i keep crashing on wonder movies though.

Edit: Turning off the backgound fixed the problem and allows to see the wonder movies for me.

I´m having tha same problem over here, in a Nvidia 6600GT with up to date drivers. In some wonders the game crashes to desktop, but when I load the last autosave file the movie gets trough well, without the crashing.

I am also having the issue with a Nvidia 6600. I suspect it is video memory.
The movie would play if you would load from the auto save with just running
a single turn. I also latter ran into a problem loading the demographics page
with a failure to allocate video memory. I moved from high settings to medium
settings and didn't have a problem with the subpages, but I don't know about
the movies since I changed my preferences to not display the movies.

I did not have these problems previously in warlords.

im experiencing the same problem with some early wonder movies, for example like the colossus. When i finish the wonder, the music starts to skip then screen turns black an d a windows error message pop up appears. Then i get thrown to the desktop. I just turned off the movies from the ingame options :crazyeye:

I don't think this is a problem with memory or drivers or such - at least, I would assume that (if that were the case), it would show up in vanilla Civ 4 and Warlords, and not just Beyond the Sword.

I´m having the same problem over here, in a Nvidia 6600GT with up to date drivers. In some wonders the game crashes to desktop, but when I load the last autosave file the movie gets trough well, without the crashing.

I am also having the issue with a Nvidia 6600. I suspect it is video memory.
The movie would play if you would load from the auto save with just running
a single turn. [...]

I did not have these problems previously in warlords.

Exact same problem here. The first time a wonder movie plays (any of them) after starting the game it plays correctly, the second that attempts to play crashes the game with a generic Windows application error. I also have a GF6600 with updated drivers.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    50.7 KB · Views: 92
I'm also having this problem. I have a nvidia geforce 7300LE. I've just turned the wonder movies of. Didnt have any kind of problems before, with vanilla and warlords.

Top Bottom