Crusader Kings 2

I don't want vassals more dangerous. They're already dangerous. I want them to be interesting.

So the pope called for a crusade and I decided to join to see what happens and ended up getting a portion of the holy land. Now I'm not sure what to do so would appreciate any advice. Not sure if I should try to keep the land or give it away?

Currently I have two king titles (Ireland and Jerusalem) and both are elective. I could create Wales and England but I'm not sure if that is a good idea or not. If I did create a third king title then I have enough prestige to create an empire but maybe its better to wait to gain 80% of Britannia?

Spoiler :

I gave Jerusalem to my second son, but I'm not sure if that was a good idea. Either way, it establishes another kingdom in our dynasty and I don't have the headache, and he doesn't deal with any jealousy for territories in Britannia.

In my very first game of CK2, back when vassals gave you levies by holding, I was Ireland and won the first crusade. I proceeded to colonize the hell out of North Africa and Iberia just so I would have closer troops to support Jerusalem. It was really damn fun.

I don't really see enough small countries for that to be easy, though, and it wasn't easy when I did it. You should probably just give it away to a son you hate and let it be reconquered by that disgusting Islamiblob. Yep, you should definitely do the safe, boring option.

I think you are right as it would take an age to ferry my army there when a jihad triggers and they would most likely have twice as many troops. Some google results mentioned giving the land to the pope instead which might be interesting.

Also if I give the land to one of my relatives then I'm assuming that I should give it to someone with no territory in my curent Kingdom?

but no seriously

If you get jihaded, just put your troops on a boat so you can wait for the proper Irish troops. You could also give your strongest vassals a county each and teleport their troops to the holy land in war. It doesn't look like you have most of the duchy of Jerusalem proper, though, which is a damn shame because that's what makes it all worthwhile.

I ended up giving the land to a relative who has 3 provinces left although they haven't called me into any wars. We weren't actually fighting the nation that held Jerusalem is most likely why its still separate. I did make a copy of the save in case I want to go back and try and play a crusader state however having to ferry troops around is one of my least favourite aspects of these games.

Yeah if you do want to bother you should probably invade south Italy.

What I do is institute elective or be a better religion.

How do you manage elective? Its been working fine for me whilst I was just the Kingdom of Ireland however if I create an Empire it breaks down completely. The Kingdom and Empire titles no longer go to the same person whilst my heir is some random cousin with terrible stats. Is there something obvious I'm missing?

Hm. I haven't really gotten to empire-levels in awhile so maybe it's changed, but I never had a major problem with elective in the past. People just need to like you.

How do you manage elective? Its been working fine for me whilst I was just the Kingdom of Ireland however if I create an Empire it breaks down completely. The Kingdom and Empire titles no longer go to the same person whilst my heir is some random cousin with terrible stats. Is there something obvious I'm missing?

For feudal elective, give you preferred heir a kingdom title and assign dukes under him. The vassal dukes will naturally prefer your heir over others.

Adopting imperial administration allows you to pick and choose your dukes easily, enabling better control over the electors.

I think you are right as it would take an age to ferry my army there when a jihad triggers and they would most likely have twice as many troops. Some google results mentioned giving the land to the pope instead which might be interesting.

Also if I give the land to one of my relatives then I'm assuming that I should give it to someone with no territory in my curent Kingdom?

Give up Holy Land when being jihaded. Wait until next crusade on Jerusalem. Since you have a claim, the winner is automatically yours if crusade is won.

BTW, the game's subtitle should be "Mujahid Caliphs" as the counterpart of "Crusader Kings"

Is it impossible to create a Muslim merchant republic? I thought I had done everything correctly (make city county capital, grant county, grant emirate), but it doesn't seem to have worked.

Speaking from experience, you probably don't want to play as someone who needs unlanded adult male relatives to economically expand but gets massive penalties for having unlanded adult male relatives.

Is it impossible to create a Muslim merchant republic? I thought I had done everything correctly (make city county capital, grant county, grant emirate), but it doesn't seem to have worked.

islam as a religion is coded to not allow republics, so you can't make a muslim character head of a republic. (It's easy to change if you want to mod though)

oh yeah I was using HIP

which also gives Muslim republics a -40% trade income penalty on top of the awful decadence/TP cap interplay

Huh. The wiki suggests that a Muslim merchant republic is possible. Must be out of date.

Try settling as a nomadic horde as a Merchant Republic; that or the process via tribal leader might allow you to play as a Muslim Merchant Republic on Iron-man.

I don't have it yet, but yes, I think it should be very good.

Top Bottom