Crusader Kings 2

I've seen Norway blob out like that a few times, but they tend to fall apart soon afterwards - different-culture lords, long distances, lack of de jure vassal strength, and relatively poor counties to work with make them a lot less stable than most other potential lucky rulers. Plus they're almost guaranteed to get into squabbles with the HRE sooner or later, which quickly results in their losing all their troops even when they're a super-Norway.

I was seriously worried that they'd cobble together the money and piety to buy another kingdom title and then to empire.

I was seriously worried that they'd cobble together the money and piety to buy another kingdom title and then to empire.

I'm not going to say it can't happen, because if you play this game long enough you'll see just about everything sooner or later. But I haven't seen that happen yet, and I have seen a super-Norway briefly exist several times.

Unless it was patched with 1.092, the AIs don't actually create additional kingdom titles, even for purposes of then creating an Empire - so the only way they get to Empire status on their own is if they actually inherit or Invade enough other Kingdoms to get the necessary number of titles.

So he is. :)

I'm not going to say it can't happen, because if you play this game long enough you'll see just about everything sooner or later. But I haven't seen that happen yet, and I have seen a super-Norway briefly exist several times.

Unless it was patched with 1.092, the AIs don't actually create additional kingdom titles, even for purposes of then creating an Empire - so the only way they get to Empire status on their own is if they actually inherit or Invade enough other Kingdoms to get the necessary number of titles.

I have seen them form kingdoms (Lotharingia and Bohemia), but I don't think I've seen them create an additional kingdom title mostly because most don't meet the right conditions.

With Old Gods the things are going to be hard. Use Munster to conquer Ireland, then Spain and England with vikings storming my beachs killing and raiding my green kingdom is impossible. BUT, play with that vikings, storming the others beachs, killing and raiding foreign lands, will be very cool.

Current game, starting as the count of Sens.

Spoiler :

Started in Sens (Green) and managed to gain control of the duchy of Champagne (Orange). After that became the duke of Burgundy after marrying the duchess (red). Finally, I fabricated a claim on the Kingdom of France, and the king surrendered the title. At that point I fought off the inevitable civil war, and replaced most of the Occitan lords with Frankish ones. Many of the counts in Toulouse are still Occitan though. Until I took over, France had been in constant civil war, not going more than four or five years without a civil war, and typically having one after another. Blue outline is the border of France when I took over.

Conquered Anjou and Brittany, and started working on taking Normandy. I managed to get the Pope to sanction an invasion of the Holy Roman Empire who were incredibly weak, with crown authority at minimal and practically no levies to draw upon.

Maybe they've read CFC and are trying to cross the Po River? :lol:

What are 60000 mongols doing in Aquileia?

I honestly have no idea. I saw that when playing and looked around, but couldn't figure it out. They converted to Orthodoxy and are no longer doing Mongol invasions, and the only war they are fighting is some de jure war with Sweden.

Maybe they're just there because it's a chokepoint and they want to screw everyone else over with attrition.

Interesting challenging start for anyone who feels like it - El Cid, Valencia, 1094. Prosper without swearing fealty to HRE or France. Probably take several quick restarts just to avoid a game-ending Holy War for Valencia from the Almoravids right out the gate.

You have just one county, and it's a pitifully under-developed county compared to those of your Muslim neighbors. You will need mercenaries and/or allies; good luck getting them.

Interesting challenging start for anyone who feels like it - El Cid, Valencia, 1094. Prosper without swearing fealty to HRE or France. Probably take several quick restarts just to avoid a game-ending Holy War for Valencia from the Almoravids right out the gate.

You have just one county, and it's a pitifully under-developed county compared to those of your Muslim neighbors. You will need mercenaries and/or allies; good luck getting them.

Spoiler :

... ahaha! I started a half-dozen times and never saw the Pope call a Crusade for Andalusia. Nice job winning it.

I saw it happen once, and I won it as the Duke of Flanders. My son was the King of Aquitaine, son of the daughter of the very late megaduke.

My borders were atrocious.

... ahaha! I started a half-dozen times and never saw the Pope call a Crusade for Andalusia. Nice job winning it.

You were right, you're often DoWed very early and it gives you hardly any chance to survive (that is, if you don't swear fealty to anyone).

I deserve no credit, as you can see from the picture, I have a lot of gold, I cheated it in to buy mercs and survive the first war and when the pope called the Crusade I won it quite easily and decided to take a printscreen of it :p

I was just fooling around, though the challenge is there and it's possible to succeed despite the odds being stacked against you ;)

Banishment can earn you lot of money...
Expansions, in order, were... claim on duchy of normandy during french civil war; some little county in Ireland; invasion of Scotland; invasion of England; Invasion of Denmark (requested and stored since back before I even invaded Scotland). Also had an invasion of Norway CB, and three more county claims in Ireland, but ruler death made me lose all those.
Too much of a hassle dealing with the constant rebellion pop-ups and managing every troop individually, so I'm abandoning the game here. If I was going to keep playing, next two moves would be Invasion of HRE (just buy 20 Papal indulgences for 500 gold to get the piety and relations with Pope needed), then push a brother's claim on France to add that to the bag.

Ignoring the performance issue (slows down a lot) ... I enjoyed that game. As a Catalan, to conquer the Iberian peninsula to the crown of Aragon, instead of the Castilian crown was great.

Catalonia came back to dominate the Mediterranean! : P

Top Bottom