Crusader Kings 2

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by SouthernKing, Nov 10, 2011.

1. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Depends on what you want.

When it comes to CKII, there's what can be considered the three big overhaul mods, each offering something different for the game:

CKII+ adds many new features and improvements to the game, but some people don't like it because it adds too much
    Prince and Thane adds in many new ways to roleplay and immerse yourself in the medieval world, but for some it adds in way too much (not to mention it's a bit unbalanced at the moment)
    Project Balance tries to stick close to vanilla as possible and improve on the game without changing it, but for some it's too close to vanilla

Besides these big three, there's other major mods out there - each, again, offering something different for everyone.

Friends and Foes is sort of like the roleplay equivalent of CKII+ - it integrates a number of CKII+'s features, but focuses mainly on improving roleplay. From what I know it's more focused on roleplay compared to Prince and Thane, but Prince and Thane has a more historical immersion focus.
    Magnate Lords is focused mainly on improving the economy and making it more historically plausible - the premier economy mod.
    SWMH is mainly a map mod that tries to make a better map set-up for the game (though that's pretty much it - there's also a SWMH-compatible version of Project Balance, by te way)
    Project Synergy is CKII+ and SWMH, basically
    VIET - it's my mod :p. VIET focuses on flavor, immersion, and roleplay, similar to Friends and Foes and Prince and Thane, but it takes a more minimalist approach like Project Balance, meaning it tries to keep things as close to vanilla wherever possible. It's also modular, meaning you can pick and choose (to some extent) what you want and don't want to play with, and it's fully compatible with Project Balance, and has some CKII+ compatible modules.
    Lux Invicta - Crazy Alt History
    A Game of Thrones - self explanatory
    Elder Kings - Elder Scrolls, self explanatory

Tl;dr: Personally I prefer Project Balance, because I'm very much content with vanilla and I don't like adding new features I won't enjoy. Your pick ultimately, though. There are quite a number of options.

2. Double A

Double A ♫We got the guillotine♫

It also makes tech and building advancements take a ridiculous amount of time and blobbing is harder.

Elder Kings is my favorite mod. PB is pretty great too because it doesn't add any unnecessary crap.

3. KaiserElectric

KaiserElectric Total Freakin Besties

Is there any way to install mods besides downloading them from the forums?

4. Optical

Optical The Fall of the Eleventh

Nice summary.

I personally recommend Project Balance as well - a number of minor mods are compatible with it as well, so you can pick and choose between those too. I personally use PB, VIET Traits (I probably need to update this as it's a 4-month-old version), Dungeons and Sieges, NBRT+ for vanilla map, Mediterranean Portraits Enhanced, Armories ARKO, Missing COAs and Culturally Different Cities. Only the first three are gameplay mods, but the others are worth looking at as well if you want to make your game look nice.

5. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

I definitely second Dungeons and Sieges, Mediterranean Portraits Enhanced (if you have the Med Portraits DLC), Armories ARKO. ARKO is especially nice because some of the new CoA patterns in there are excellent, especially the Muslim ones.

I also recommend Duel Engine, but I think that has been integrated into VIET.

6. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

I haven't integrated Duel Engine into VIET yet. Though I'm supposed to eventually. Currently though the Duel Engine is a bit buggy because it's creator hasn't been able to work on it for a while.

7. NBAfan

NBAfan boss

No, getting a forum account is easy though.

8. KaiserElectric

KaiserElectric Total Freakin Besties

Last I checked though, it wouldn't let me access the forums, despite having registered my CK2 game there.

9. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

You should bring it up with the forum mods/admins or something, that shouldn't be happening.

10. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

Have you confirmed your email address?

11. Double A

Paradox Plaza is a stupid forum, and we've all had to go through this crap.

12. Optical

Optical The Fall of the Eleventh

I've actually never had any problems. As long as you confirm your email you should be fine, in general.

13. NBAfan

NBAfan boss

Yeah, it can be pretty slow at times. It's nice though, the devs are very active on it.

14. Double A

Oh yeah, that's certainly nice. I was just talking from a technical standpoint.

15. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Yeah, technically it's wonky at times... every now and then I can't access it for whatever reason. Is the internet that bad in Sweden?

16. Wir0s

Wir0s Chieftain

I started with the county of Barcelona, I reunited Catalonia (north territories included), and later conquered the rest of the peninsula.

Castilla was submitted and dismembered, to be assimilated later. I continued the expansion by the Mediterranean, conquering most of the northern coast of Africa and parts of Italy and France.

I managed to avoid the title of "Kingdom of Spain" and move from Corona de Aragon to "Hispanic empire" so ... In my timeline, Castilla disappeared and Spain never came into existence. Somehow, i "Fix" the real succession war between Castilla and us.

As I said, removing performance issues, enjoy much "creating my own story"

17. madviking

madviking north american scum

someone made the bluth family in ck2

Spoiler show spoilers :

18. SouthernKing

SouthernKing crickety cricket

Old Gods out on Tuesday. What's everyone going to do first?
    My first game will be as whoever leads the Great Heathen Army.
    My second game will be as a Zoroastrian, with the goal of wiping Islam off the face of the Earth by 1453.
    My third...Mongols probably.

19. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

Buy Republic and LoR when it goes on sale. :p

20. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

I'l'l be waiting until it goes on sale somewhere, because I'm cheap and poor. :p