1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Current (SVN) development discussion thread

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Sep 20, 2011.

1. youtien

youtien Lyricist

Agreed. Or you can simply add a lesser flood plain feature that gives only +2 food and less unhealthiness. Settled?

2. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

That could be useful for India.

3. strijder20

strijder20 Wallowing in irony

And California?

4. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Yeah.

Revisited the Polish and you're right. I don't think it's a problem that UU and UB are not essential to the UHV, but the goals themselves were too hard (or broken).

First goal: I made Poland start with two Crossbowmen and one Heavy Swordsman now, this should suffice to capture Kiev in time. I've also given them a third worker so they can actually build enough farms in time. Also delayed the deadline to 1400 (with these changes I made it in 1380).

Second goal: it's been basically impossible. You can't on one hand buff the colonizers so they discover it early and on the other hand require Poland to beat them to it and Liberalism. It's not as if you had time getting your commerce up while working towards the first goal anyway, and there's always the threat of war to distract you (it's advisable to be nice to Russia). So it's again only Liberalism which should be hard enough in my opinion.

Third goal: was bugged, should be fixed with the upcoming commit.

5. youtien

youtien Lyricist

Gee, thanks. I succeed once in svn 398 or 399, which I captured Wien at first 2 turns, that's too special.

About Sejmik, maybe change it to +1 or 2 happiness?

Another suggestion : great generals should be able to bulb military techs like military science & military tradition (partially). This can help warring states to keep up in techs a bit.

Cathedral UHV is a bit boring, we already had many like this. How about: control 10 winged hussar with level 4 or higher by 1700?

6. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Happiness for Sejmik is a good idea, +1 certainly won't hurt.

Can't comment on the cathedral goal, because since the changes I haven't played that far. I like that it makes you conquer a fourth city from someone and become embroiled in the Reformation somewhat. Let's see how it plays out.

Playing another game now to polish the Polish :D

7. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Okay, won Poland in 1625 with the new UHV. It was still quite hard, mainly because I'm not good at wars the AI forces on me, so I muddled through until I finally could capture a fourth city from Russia to get the cathedrals. The third goal itself is certainly not that hard but it ties up your resources somewhat and the other two are already not that easy so it's okay I guess.

8. Tomorrow's Dawn

Tomorrow's Dawn Heroes Never Die

If I have some free time, I'll try and help out testing the Polish.

9. AdrienIer

AdrienIer Deity

Nikolaus Kopernicus just apperead in HRE Vienna in my Polish test game, it just... Doesn't feel right.

10. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Had that too during my game. I haven't added great people names for the new civs yet except great prophets for Tibet.

11. iOnlySignIn

iOnlySignIn Prince$s

Maybe you could simply allow Farms on Floodplains without Biology? It would be

(1) Simple

(2) Realistic

(3) Not very unbalancing afaik, since Floodplains cities are limited by Health anyway. The only potentially unbalancing factor is India with its UP. For that, just delete a few Floodplains.

12. Hippo8085

Hippo8085 Shaken, not stirred

And better realistically for production too. Right now the Mughals and India can easily get the highest production in the world after guilds because of workshops.

13. youtien

youtien Lyricist

Why capture 4th city later? Should do that from start. I can usually capture 1 city from Russia, Novgorod or Sankt-Peterburg. Then target Byz next, no matter they live, collapse or replaced by Turkey.

14. strijder20

Unbalancing? The extra seven food India will get isn't really going to win them the game, considering floodplains cities have another limit: happiness. There is no way they'll get their city to size 20 in the Medieval era.

15. youtien

youtien Lyricist

By the time you can grow to 17, you already have all calender resources, and drama. Happiness is not issue. In fact, my Delhi can grow up to 18, while Varanasi being 12. The biggest city is on southeast coast.

16. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

How do you do that with the starting units? I couldn't get any mercenaries.

17. strijder20

Well, considering Russia has the nice habit of garrisoning it's cities with one archer/horse archer... ;)

18. Dalgaard

Dalgaard Chieftain

newest SVN
    Aztec: the catapult on the ice is not auto deleted.
    Slave Plantation do not remove forrest or jungle like normal plantation does.
    Just a few bugs, Great mod though, all the new features are awesome!

19. Hamir

Hamir Chieftain

Has anyone been able to succeed with the English ships UHV? 25 frigates is one thing, but sinking 50 is difficult, there just aren't many around to sink, even if you start declaring war on other countries. You just end up having to spam privateers and send them around the world searching for some boats to sink/attack you. Yet in the couple of games I've played I haven't even got close to 50.

I also have a lot of trouble with stability. I can make the every continent UHV, by waiting until the last minute to settle the final cities, but within years my stability will shoot down and India will constantly revolt/respawn which makes the empire unmanageable. You just have to give away a bunch of cities in mid-1700s, which isn't that realistic. Would a better 'power of indirect rule' UP involve a stability bonus rather than maintenance?

20. iOnlySignIn

iOnlySignIn Prince$s

IIRC Work Boats count towards this goal. So be sure to pillage every Fishing Boat in sight, as AI will continuously build Work Boats to replenish them.

I'm of the opinion that England should

(1) Liberalism slingshot Astronomy. Settle America & South Africa with Resettlement.

(2) With Resettlement, artificially raise your Stability by settling cities in Australia/New Zealand (Historical) and then granting Independence to them.

(3) Delay conquest of India until
    - It's been softened by French conquerors (trade Economics to France when they don't have Rifling)
    - You have Rifling (so your TC conquerors are your UU, which can double as Siege)
    - You have Military Tradition (essential, as you should switch to Occupation)

(4) Be careful about expanding the Culture of your colonial cities. Especially with Sistine Chapel. If their Culture cover Foreign/Foreign Core tiles, you loose Stability. I think this mechanism is BS (how in reality is Culture a bad thing), but it's there for balance. For the same reason, try not to Culture flip Amsterdam/Chernbourg if possible.