Current v1.13 Development Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It might just be that I messed up some copy pasting of another civ's city name map. Indonesia shouldn't be directly affected otherwise. I'll give it a look today.

I suppose this new rainforest feature ought to be included in the Woodsman promotions as well?

And while we're talking about terrain stuff, I once proposed using this resource to upgrade the look of the marsh terrain, which currently looks like some hack over ocean terrain. Would that be a good idea?

And finally, how about putting UNITAI_EXPLORE_SEA in the list of NotUnitAIs for workboats, so that the AI doesn't waste critical initial workboat production into exploring and ensures putting them in resource gathering as any player would do?

Yeah, I've thought of the Woodsman promotion, but didn't get around to implement it yet. And the AI change makes sense.

The marsh graphics in the link look more like a terrain type than a feature type though.

The marsh feature is fine, it's indeed the marsh terrain the one which could benefit from the resource in that link. So that it looks like swamp weeds over proper mud terrain, instead of over some sort of weird water.
It would simply require adding the marsh texture and changing the marsh entry at CIV4ArtDefines_Terrain.xml to match that of the resource:
Spoiler :
Code:
		<TerrainArtInfo>
			<Type>ART_DEF_TERRAIN_MARSH</Type>
			<Path>Art/Terrain/Textures/SwampBLEND.dds</Path>
			<Grid>Art/Terrain/Textures/SwampGRIDS.dds</Grid>
			<Detail>Art/Terrain/Textures/SwampDETAIL.dds</Detail>
			<Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/BaseTerrain/marsh.dds,Art/Interface/Buttons/BaseTerrain_TerrainFeatures_Atlas.dds,2,2</Button>
			<LayerOrder>2</LayerOrder>
			<AlphaShader>0</AlphaShader>
			<TextureBlend01>8,0</TextureBlend01>
			<TextureBlend02>1,0</TextureBlend02>
			<TextureBlend04>6,0</TextureBlend04>
			<TextureBlend08>5,0</TextureBlend08>
			<TextureBlend03>2,0</TextureBlend03>
			<TextureBlend06>10,0</TextureBlend06>
			<TextureBlend12>12,0</TextureBlend12>
			<TextureBlend09>9,0</TextureBlend09>
			<TextureBlend07>3,0</TextureBlend07>
			<TextureBlend14>14,0</TextureBlend14>
			<TextureBlend13>11,0</TextureBlend13>
			<TextureBlend11>4,0</TextureBlend11>
			<TextureBlend10>7,0</TextureBlend10>
			<TextureBlend05>13,0</TextureBlend05>
			<TextureBlend15>15,0 16,0 18,0 19,0 20,0 21,0 22,0 23,0 24,0 25,0 26,0 27,0 28,0 29,0 30,0 31,0 32,0</TextureBlend15>
		</TerrainArtInfo>
Here's central Africa marshes using that marsh terrain:
Spoiler :

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    316.9 KB · Views: 486
New commit: Changed Indian Bamboo Bowman from Archer to Longbowman:
- requires Monarchy and Calendar
- strength 5
- can enter jungle and rainforest
- starts with Formation and Woodsman I

- strength 5

When would Indian get these 2 techs?

In best case scenario, I can oracle metal casting and get alphabet from Carts or Greeks, monarchy either from Babylonian or Persian, math from Carts, calender on my own. All those before 200 BC on epic speed.

And what's this UU supposed to do? It's a defensive unit, against whom? Barbs war elephant? Tibetan Khampas? Tamils?

If it is for human Persian or Chinese, we have a lot of ways to beat AI Indians before they get these tech.

About rainforest:

1. Is it OK to be able to found cities on it? I like it personally.
2. How about: dmg every turn for foreign units who cross it? And woodsmen I promotion can make it suffer 10% less.

Why should rainforests be damaging? And, for that matter, why should rainforests subtract food from the title? That seems more like a jungle than a rainforest (which were often nutritious and not full of diseases)...?

Rainforest does have significant bio-hazards as well, but the natives that's been living there must have developed some kind of adaptation mechanism that allow them to survive living in/near the rainforests.

Foreigners that want to invade, might come from another region (e.g. non-tropical) that makes them prone to bio-hazards in the rainforest that has been tolerated by the locals. This could be represented by atrition.

Spoiler OOT :
Human body adapts everywhere. Why Asian people's eyes are more distinct? Why European peoples generally have lighter skin? How can people survive living in location that high without breathing difficulties? Why incidences of blood cells deformity increases in region where Malaria is endemic? Why traveller's diarrhea happens? It's interesting isn't it? Haha

- strength 5

Not Archery too? :confused:

No, bowmen of the Gupta period were known for hauling their bows at the enemy instead, so for accuracy's sake I decided to reflect that.

Spoiler :
Yes.

Not Archery too? :confused:

Ofcourse it does require Archery too.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Leoreth

@ Leoreth
I noticed some UU play regular train sound, instead of the unique unit train sound. Or the other way around, regular units playing unique unit training sound. (It's not a really big issue, but still)

Here is an updated UnitArtDefines.xml with all units corrected.

No, bowmen of the Gupta period were known for hauling their bows at the enemy instead, so for accuracy's sake I decided to reflect that.

Spoiler :
Yes.

I'm sorry I annoyed you with my desire to help in case you overlooked something.

Btw it's April 1st, I'm surprised I don't see an update about how the current commit contains stuff like the Republic of Venice, Equestria and Liechtenstein as fully playable civs.

I noticed some UU play regular train sound, instead of the unique unit train sound. Or the other way around, regular units playing unique unit training sound. (It's not a really big issue, but still)

Here is an updated UnitArtDefines.xml with all units corrected.
Thanks. Is there actually a difference in the sound? I've never paid attention to it.

I'm sorry I annoyed you with my desire to help in case you overlooked something.
Sorry, you didn't annoy me, seems I have overdosed on the snark.

Thanks. Is there actually a difference in the sound? I've never paid attention to it.

To be honest, I don't know. I always play muted.

EDIT: There is a difference. The unique unit sound has an added ping.
I noticed that all UU have their own building sound file in vanilla Civ.

Talking about sounds, for my own mod, I made custom sounds for buildings that miss them (Stable, Bunker, Customs House, Industrial Park, and so on... Quite a few), and gave all wonders one sound (the Pyramids, the Colossus, the Hanging Gardens, and a very few others have their own unique sounds in Beyond the Sword, while the rest has no sound - I gave all world wonders one sound, as well as all national wonders, great people's buildings, and so on).

Here, if you wish.

Tried a Indian game yesterday, I flipped a chariot from start, and it pillaged Babylonia, made me able to beat them on Oracle; then it conquered Egypt (it's rare they still got only warriors after Phoenecia spawn). Well, I like it.

SVN 944, Chinese 3000 BC:

1. Found Chittagong (rainforest hill coast 3E2S from Patna) as 4th city so our army can enter India without embarking.
2. Build 3 warriors, 3 catapults and 1 axemen (GS bulb alphabet, trade teches)
3. Conquer India.
4. Become unstable and lost foreign cities some teches later. >_<

Urgent request: This tile (pointed by my cursor) is very unstable. It changes ownership between Maratha and Hyderabad literally every turn. Since Maratha refuse to open borders with me (why, btw? -_-) I got kicked every other turn to the tile my units currently are and in the next turn it becomes Hyderabad's again. This is really annoying... how about creating another pass/shortcut?

Spoiler :

EDIT: Turns out my cursor doesn't get screenshot-ed as well. The tile I meant is 1NE of where my units are (or 1 SW of Hyderabad), currently Maratha's.

Updates: I just discovered that I am unable to conquer Madras as well. Few turns after this, Britain conquer Hyderabad and left Madras very poorly defended (some Galleon + Great Prophet). Turns out I need to war at India first before I can attack Madras. I also have to conquer Hyderabad first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom