Custom Advanced Setup Screen (and HotSeat with Mods)

Gedemon

Modder
Super Moderator
Here's a custom advanced setup screen from which you can launch hotseat games with mods activated.

It will also keep your selected values for almost all options.

Installation

- download the .civ5mod file in your MODS folder (..\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS).
- launch game, go to the mod browser, click the "Install Mods" button.
- click on the "Installed" tab, find the Custom Setup lines and activate it.
- from the mod section, go to single player and then to custom game
- click "Advanced Setup" then "Load Mod"

Save/Load

In hotseat mode, you can save your game nomally, but because of current civ5 engine limitations for multiplayer & mods, you can't reload a hotseat game from the mod/single player load menu.

So I've added a hotseat load menu in the custom game screen, you can reload your modded hotseat game from here.

Compatibility

Please note that multiplayer game with mods is not officially supported by Firaxis, some bugs may occur because of that.

For example, mods that rely on the ActivePlayerTurnStart or ActivePlayerTurnEnd events to call functions once in a turn may find that those functions are called for each human player, leading to unexpected results...

Also, as whoward69 pointed out in another thread, modifying your installed mods may lead to unexpected behavior for the saved variables, if you get strange values after deactivating a mod, use the Reset button to set all back to default.

Screenshot

Spoiler :

To do

Add options :
- Remove login screen between turns in hotseat

Here's a custom advanced setup screen from which you can launch hotseat games with mods activated.

Installation

- download the .civ5mod file in your MODS folder (..\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS).
- launch game, go to the mod browser, click the "Install Mods" button.
- click on the "Installed" tab, find the Custom Setup lines and activate it.
- from the mod section, go to single player and then to custom game
- click "Advanced Setup" then "Load Mod"

Save/Load

In hotseat mode, you can save your game nomally, but because of current civ5 engine limitations, you can't reload a hotseat game from the main menu.

To reload a hotseat save, first launch a new game from the custom advanced setup screen, with at least 2 human players (choose a small map with few civs/CS to start faster)

Then open the in game menu and click load game, your hotseat games should be listed here.

Screenshot

Spoiler :

Amazing work Gedemon! Works beautifully with Nights. I haven't actually played vanilla hotseat, but is it possible to get rid of the continue/save/password pop-up that occurs between human turns? Also, is there any work-around for naming the human Civ's so they both don't say "player 1" in the score list?

I'm working on the name problem. Not sure about the popup between player turn, but it's a good idea, I'll have a look.

Small update, to make it compatible with CIVUP & VEM, you can now reload a saved hotseat game from a custom load menu.

The first player will always be named "Player 1", but the other humans will get the leader name or "Player x" where x is the player number if they choose a random civ.

Now it save the main values (map size, map type, starting era, difficulty level and game speed) so you don't have to re select those before each start.

Thank you very much , merci l'ami Gedemon

It s work perfectly . I am amazed

Do you think you can do the same for Lan or internet game?

Do you think you can do the same for Lan or internet game?
Every attempt I've made at this have failed... Looks like the multiplayer engine is deactivating every mods at game launch. We'll have to wait for official support. (or a patch that will allow unofficial support)

After clearing the cache again, I loaded the mod with Info Addict. I still could not get a second civ to play. It seems as if I am not playing Hotseat.

To be clear, I go from the Custom Menu to Advanced Setup, choose leaders for the first two slots, then click "Start Game." What I realize has seemingly not been addressed is choosing "Hotseat" at any point. Am I missing a step?

EDIT: I just tried to play a Hotseat game without any mods. Despite choosing "Hotseat," I was led directly to the Multiplayer screen, and the game I commenced had no Hotseat. I then loaded an old Hotseat save, and it played without a problem. So the problem I'm having playing with your mod could be linked to my odd inability to access the game's Hotseat start-up component.

To be clear, I go from the Custom Menu to Advanced Setup, choose leaders for the first two slots, then click "Start Game." What I realize has seemingly not been addressed is choosing "Hotseat" at any point. Am I missing a step?

Yes, there one more step before launching a game in hotseat.

If you choose 2 leaders and click start, the game will launch normally, to launch in hotseat, you must set one of the A.I. slot to human.

Under each leader name (or the "Random Civilization" text) there are two dropdown menu. One is to select the teams (not needed here), the other is added by this mod and allow you to replace the computer (A.I.) slot by a human slot.

If there are no human slot set, you'll play a normal single player game, you need to have one A.I. slot changed to human to launch a hotseat game.

See the screenshot in the spoiler below for the position of the A.I. / Human pulldown menu.
Spoiler :

Yes, there one more step before launching a game in hotseat.

If you choose 2 leaders and click start, the game will launch normally, to launch in hotseat, you must set one of the A.I. slot to human.

Under each leader name (or the "Random Civilization" text) there are two dropdown menu. One is to select the teams (not needed here), the other is added by this mod and allow you to replace the computer (A.I.) slot by a human slot.

If there are no human slot set, you'll play a normal single player game, you need to have one A.I. slot changed to human to launch a hotseat game.

See the screenshot in the spoiler below for the position of the A.I. / Human pulldown menu.
Spoiler :

Thanks, Gedemon!

I've started a game with VEM and InfoAddict, and the first couple of turns worked fine. I then saved the game and reloaded from the desktop (correct?) and it also worked smoothly. I will report back if I find any problems. Otherwise, assume the mod is working well.

Let me know if there is any further testing I can do for you.

And is there any way to get rid of the other civs being listed on the screen from the start?

New version uploaded to fix a bug where the level of the other human players was set to default instead of the global selected level (per player level is not implemented)

Should also fix a bug when quitting the setup screen and going back in was not resetting the human slots.

The mod works smoothly with VEM, but it's oddly buggy.

I have tested multiple starts. In the two that went 10 turns, Civ #2 got a free settler from a ruin. My read was that the mod viewed Civ#2 as an AI civ. Is this an example of what you just fixed?

One time all of the civs were activated as human (when only 2 were). I assume this was a one-time thing.

Otherwise, all I've noticed is that Civ #2 doesn't get the brief news flashes at the top of the screen.

It's been a lot of fun playing with it, obviously.

Watching the human-but-really-AI Siam play in v2, I've discovered that it has less unhappiness per city than the other human civ, despite having more cities.

Thal says that '"Standard handicap" is set to "AI_HAPPINESS", which has these values:

100% NumCitiesUnhappinessMod
100% PopulationUnhappinessMod
8 HappinessDefault (human is 12)

'I'm certain the AI has that in a normal game, since the world builder visibly sets AIs to that handicap. If these are not the values the AI has in hotseat, then hotseat is not setting AIs to the standard handicap.'

What do you make of it?

Is it possible to edit the civilizations Like instead of player 1 a nickname

and instead of the leader's name

Any way to make this work with your YnAEMP maps?

- PR-0927

Yes, I plan to update YnAEMP setup screen with the change of that mod, but you can't use the current version with it yet, sorry.

Yes, I plan to update YnAEMP setup screen with the change of that mod, but you can't use the current version with it yet, sorry.

Haha, is this confirmation of an impending YnAEMP update? I hope so!

Just so you know, you can actually rename your leaders if you use the standart Hotseat set up via Multiplayer. So this is only limited by this method.

New update, v.4 is available here

Change :

- A new, much requested, feature is the saving of all the selected options (except civs and player type) between game sessions.
- All players get the civilization leader name in hotseat.
- Option added to hide the score list in hotseat.

I can't remove the login screen between turns in hotseat without overriding PlayerChange.lua, maybe I'll do it in another update.

Top Bottom