• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Dark classical (or other midi) music

Kyriakos

Creator
Midi files, in the case that they are not game files, are considered public property unless otherwise specified.
I am a sort of a midi enthousiast, collecting files from games and classical pieces notated by various groups.

Here are two of my favourite dark musical pieces:

1. Prokofiev's "Dance of the Knights"

http://www.polleng.freeserve.co.uk/gp_d-kt.mid

2. Mussorgsky's "night on bald mountain"

http://www.classicalmidi.co.uk/895modest.zip

Do you have any links to dark classical (shareware) pieces? :)

Those were great! Thanks varwnos. I just caught this thread before it fell off into the page two abyss. :D

I like dark classical too (when I hear it) but rarely keep track of names. :)

I'll bet there's a lot of good dark classical in video/computer games. In fact I know there is at least some. :)

1. Prokofiev's "Dance of the Knights"
Wow, I've been looking for the name of this song for a long long time! Thanks!

And the second one was used in some nintendo game, I'm pretty sure

One dark piece is Stravinsky's "Le Sacre du Printemps" (The Rites of Spring) Soory but I do not have a link to the full music but you can here excerpts from it Here.. With this link there are 14 examples of the music.

Another dark pice is Belioz' Symphonie Fantastique, especially they 5th movement (Dream of a Witches' Sabbath). In this part of the Symphony you will here the plainchant Dies Irae (Day of Wrath) This tunes has been used in many pieces, if you look on the link. If you want some dark music, then listen to this part in many Requiem Masses that have been made.
You can have a listen to it from Here, but you will have to download it yourself.

The first examples from varnos is from Prokofiev's music to his ballet of Romeo and Juliet.

Bump,

I've discovered some really great songs here. :goodjob:
I couldn't download Belioz' Symphonie Fantastique it said i had to register. :( I'll have to look elsewhere.

More, more, more. :D

Midi is a great format from tinkering around with other people's music.

I've been a musician pretty much all my life, I had avoided computer based music because it was always so lacking, but the technology has finally reached the point where real creative stuff can be done for not too much money.

Thanks varwnos for this, I'll have to start playing with them right away!

I sometimes (in the past a lot more often) compose some piano pieces myself ;)

I have notated the theme of an old game, called 'Infinite Domain', which i could not find anywhere. Here it is (the theme is repeated again and again after the first metres).

If you want to you can upload some of your stuff too ;)

Attachments

• ultimate domain.zip
    479 bytes · Views: 123
varwnos said:

I have notated the theme of an old game, called 'Infinite Domain', which i could not find anywhere. Here it is (the theme is repeated again and again after the first metres).

First I would need to put them on my computer first before anyone can download them. And considering the length of them, they would be quite large.

@Heretic, I was afraid something like that migh happen.

varwnos said:

Nice work :goodjob:

I don't really have anything to upload myself, anything I've done with midi is original stuff which requires specific samples be used with it.

I did do a couple of cover midis some years back Tremolo Song by the Charlatans and Big Mouth Strikes Again by the Smiths. I don't have copies of them anymore, but there are versions floating around the web which I swear are ripped of versions of my work.

Vaughan Williams' Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis is quite moving, as is Barber's Adagio for Strings. I can't, for the life of me, remember where to get them de jure.

There are also some fine original midi 'film score' compositions on the DL Movie site, and they are for public listening.

Simon Darkshade said:
Barber's Adagio for Strings.

Grand choice, good sir, choice

The original version is moving, but I prefer a choir piece, which I first heard in the game Homeworld. It's a beautiful piece of art.

If we are going for spine shivering choir work, examine the soundtrack of The Mission - Ave Maria Guarini, in particular.

Mahler's 5th Symphony, as showcased in Visconti's Death in Venice, is great instrumental work.

Allegri's Miserere.

Simon Darkshade said:
If we are going for spine shivering choir work, examine the soundtrack of The Mission - Ave Maria Guarini, in particular.

I'm taking your word on that and seeking it out tommorow.

And it better be spine-shivering choir work, cos I have high standards when it come to it.

'Tis. Child choir of Amazonian Indians. Never fails to get a reaction. Good flick as well.

That Allegri one should have a Mei on the end.

Dimitri Shostakovich, Symphony Number 5. Very long, but absolutely beautiful. It also contains very dark themes, especially in the third movement. The fourth is my favorite, and is where the "sucking up to Stalin so he doesn't wind up counting trees" comes through in briliant Russian nationalism.
Also, look up Gustav Holst's Hammersmith, and Saturn and Neptune from The Planets.

EDIT: Songs and Dances of Death by Mussorgsky is just plain evil.

Top Bottom