David Suzuki kicks Sun Media personnel out of debate

That is absolutely laughable.

Go ahead. Lets here why GW is all a crock, because philosophically it's impossible to know whether we are really correct.

Nope. This one is done, crossed off, we know pretty much exactly what is happening.

People are welcome to try and disprove it, and I wish them all the luck in the world, but only if they come at it from an actual science background. You can't of course, because literally all the data agrees on this one, but that's beside the point.

Pundits, and people cherry picking dates to say "oh ho ho, the Earth isn't warming after all" are just regular old idiots who aren't contributing anything to the discussion, and we shouldn't put up with them.
Just because we had a snowstorm here today and I'm cold, should I decide that global warming is nonsense?

Of course not. Just ask any dead polar bear who drowned from lack of available pack ice.

That is absolutely laughable.
Then suppose you explain it to us, using proper scientific terminology, 'k? :huh:

Go ahead. Lets here why GW is all a crock, because philosophically it's impossible to know whether we are really correct.
What does philosophy have to do with this? Whether you call it global warming or climate change, it's all observable and measurable. Philosophy need not apply here.

What does philosophy have to do with this? Whether you call it global warming or climate change, it's all observable and measurable. Philosophy need not apply here.

Well, I think there's a a decent philosophical point that tomorrow we could discover some new scientific principle, and it would completely change our understanding of climatology. We can't prove it won't happen.

But I agree with you of course. Even that point is completely beside the point. Using all of the best science we have, we've created an absolutely massive bank of evidence and theory that clearly shows the Earth is getting hotter, and it's our fault. While we might turn out to be wrong in the future, it would be utterly insane to simply ignore everything we do have, in order to satisfy what is essentially political or religious objections.

Also, damn this storm. Why aren't you making my whole year 20 degrees global warming!? :gripe: Also, this plot of Calgary's daily highs and lows is kind of scaring me. Really, really pleasant, but unsettling nonetheless.

Anyone who believes the "science is settled" rubbish, doesn't know science at all.

It's a statement that's shorthand for, "the best fit to all the data is X. If you wish to disprove X, you will need to not only have evidence which challenges X, but explains what X explains equally as well or better." That's basically science.

Maybe he wanted to have a reasonably interesting debate, and not the real life equivalent of an average OT thread.

Honestly, I think that's an insult to the average OT thread. Once you start ignoring the obvious repeat offenders on both side, there are a few users who, while you may not agree with what they say, can at least manage a coherent and intelligent discourse on both side of most issues.

Sun News doesn't have that.

I can't say I blame him. When Sun Media comes by, they're not interested in any sort of real journalism.

Yeah, probably not. From what I've seen from them they exist mostly to promote a certain viewpoint rather than conduct honest journalism. Their programming, or what I've seen of it, is very sensationalist. It's more "news entertainment" rather than actual news.

Screw 'em

Top Bottom