Dawn of Civilization v1.12 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of 41 Civ 4 Great Wonders 3 are famous French buildings and 0 are famous German buildings. Americans are biased against Germans and favor French :mischief:

Then let's add the Berlin Wall, the best thing Germany ever built.

Thanks for that explanation Leoreth! I'll try to change things there and see if everything works on the game itself.

Digging deeper in the code I stumbled upon another thing that I couldn't understand, if you have time to see this I thank you again:

Code:
	if iPlayer in self.democraticNames:
		if iPlayer in self.modernIslamNames and iReligion == con.iIslam:
			self.setCivDesc(iPlayer, self.[COLOR="DarkRed"]democraticNames[/COLOR][iPlayer])
		else:
			self.setCivDesc(iPlayer, self.democraticNames[iPlayer])
		return

Again, python is still a mystery to me, but this didn't seem right to me. The above code part is only read if the nation is democratic:
Code:
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]# Democracy (includes Islamic Republics)[/COLOR]
if self.isDemocratic(iPlayer): [I][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]This line comes before the code posted above (the one with the [COLOR="DarkRed"]red[/COLOR] text)[/I][/COLOR]

So it's checking if the nation is democratic, which in this revision means that the civ is either running Republic, or if it's running Autocracy, it'll be considered democratic if it's running either representation or egalitarianism together with autocracy. Any other combination triggers false.

Now that we are talking about a democratic civ, after all special cases, it checks if the civ has a name in the democraticNames list. With that returning ok, then it checks if the civ has a name in the modernIslamNames and if its state religion is Islam.

With all that being true, it then applies the civ's name in the democraticNames list if the nation passes the modernIslam and State Religion Islam trigger or not. That's what confuses me here.

Shouldn't the line applied for the last if-condition == TRUE be:
Code:
self.setCivDesc(iPlayer, self.modernIslamNames[iPlayer])

instead of self.democraticNames[iPlayer]? Or am I missing something here?

I checked this on DynamicCivs.py in my DoC 1.12 folder too and the code remains the same (I thought it could be an old solved issue, as I'm working on rev 707).

You're completely right, this is probably an oversight after copying the line. I'll upload a fix to the SVN.

You're completely right, this is probably an oversight after copying the line. I'll upload a fix to the SVN.

Does that mean that since at least rev 707, the 5 nations which have modernIslamNames (India, Persia, Mali, Turkey and Mughal) couldn't be named like that because of this oversight? And no DoCaddict (especially those that love changing Dynamic Names) ever realized that? :wow:

If that is so, it's unbelievable :D. I understand that you could let this pass unnoticed (the mod is huge, and I believe you're the only main modder to this, so it's completely understandable), but those that love to change the names or give suggestions on this matter should have realized this earlier I guess.

I mean, for a long time already (at least since rev 707, which is still DoC 1.11), India was never called Islamic Republic of India in any game of any DoC player, and nobody at all ever wondered why it has a name in the XML it never uses? :lol:

That's right, it's probably been like this ever since this dynamic name system has been included into the mod, which might be further ago than the first SVN revision.

It's hard to notice that a game element you aren't aware is suppose to exist is absent. And people occupied with modding dynamic names are more focused on adding new names. I mean, even I didn't notice they were missing.

I see. I thought ModernIslamNames was something debated in the past here in the forum for inclusion in the game, that's why I thought it was unbelievable. But it probably wasn't like that then.

Glad that I could help the mod in any way. I'll bring new discoveries if I happen to find one or more again.

Yeah, thanks for digging into this!

Out of curiosity, is there a way to make it so you can change civs in game multiple times? (e.g. jump from Egyptians to Greeks to Romans to Byzantines to so on and so on)? I have not tried it in a while, but I remember on a previous version it would only let me change my playable civ once, and then it would never give me the option.

If not automatic, is there a way to change control in World Builder?

To disable the limit on the number of switches, find "def getAlreadySwitched" in Assets/Python/RiseAndFall.py and edit it to:
Code:
        def getAlreadySwitched( self ):
                return False

You can always enable cheat mode (chipotle) and switch with Alt+Z.

Switching with Alt z is really bad if you love to manage your espionage. AI automatically assigns 99 weight against most known civs, meaning if one wants to concentrate on one civ only -- he would need to click "-" button (n-1)*99 times, when n is the number of civs. Is it possible to create "All 0" button in Ctrl E screen which would reset all the espionage weight to zero?

Switching with Alt z is really bad if you love to manage your espionage. AI automatically assigns 99 weight against most known civs, meaning if one wants to concentrate on one civ only -- he would need to click "-" button (n-1)*99 times, when n is the number of civs. Is it possible to create "All 0" button in Ctrl E screen which would reset all the espionage weight to zero?

That's funny. In Multiplayers on other mods, when taking over an AI, usually the espionage spending weights are pretty normal.

That's funny. In Multiplayers on other mods, when taking over an AI, usually the espionage spending weights are pretty normal.

That's not true. Whenever I'm taking over an AI in Multiplayer even if it's only had control for a single turn or switching to another civ in RFC all Esionage spending weights are always messed up.

I'm sure someone has created a better espionage interface somewhere, if you can find me one I'll be happy to include it.

Almost everything that can be done with vanila BTS is already done by platyping :lol: at some point of his prolific career. I am not sure how many of his things this mod already uses but he has tons of stuff:

For a long time I had also one special pet request: is it possible to see UP when mousing over the civ's flag in the buttom? In vanila you can see traits, Rhye gone away with traits and Civ 5 followed his example :) Can we please celebrate UPs in the main interface as a mouse over info?

That's not true. Whenever I'm taking over an AI in Multiplayer even if it's only had control for a single turn or switching to another civ in RFC all Esionage spending weights are always messed up.

That's funny, it never happened in my LoR or RAND games TBH

No they don't.

If only they could start with 2 Settlers on 2 different islands...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom