Define "evil"

It was a video, actually. I've never seen death as such, and I hope I never do (except for my own, of course).

I have, I've seen someone drop dead in front of me from a heart attack outside of work, and in my line of work it's an occupational hazard although they're careful not to expose people to the corpses :/

I've seen a mans head being cut off by terrorists, not that I wanted to but it's out their on the net, what amazed me is the brutality and the lack of emotion in it all, these really were psychopaths. They didn't hack it off either they sawed it off slowly as if they were preparing a joint, it was obvious they'd done it before.

Same site where I saw the Saddam hanging,that was horriblly brutal. Saddam was the only dignified person in the room.

A friend of mine showed it to me. :vomit: to both.

I've seen a mans head being cut off by terrorists, not that I wanted to but it's out their on the net, what amazed me is the brutality and the lack of emotion in it all, these really were psychopaths. They didn't hack it off either they sawed it off slowly as if they were preparing a joint, it was obvious they'd done it before.

Same here. The cutting was done with a knife, and it was done as it they were just casually cutting open a fruit or something. Their lack of emotion was quite disturbing.

A friend of mine showed it to me. :vomit:

I found it myself, actually, on the internet, because of a discussion on the Faith Freedom forums.

Evil is the antonym/polar opposite/rejection/total lack of love. Thus, in order to understand evil, you must know love. If you don't know love, then you have bigger problems than concerning yourself with definitions.

Friends tell me killing is one of those things that gets easier the more you do it. Personally I am very unemotional about violence and murder. Then again I am not exactly what you would call mentally sane.

Execution is always something worthy of :vomit:.

But even them, sometimes it is just necessary, in spite of its terrible brutality, to prevent further brutality. :(

If execution has to be carried out and I don't believe it does, then it should be carried out properly. They should of vetted those in the room before they hanged him. As for the terrorists, if God is up there watching they'll burn in hell. :mwaha: Islam does not support terrorism, neither does a good Muslim IMHO.

If execution has to be carried out and I don't believe it does, then it should be carried out properly. They should of vetted thoise in the room before they hanged him. As for the terrorists, if God is up there watching they'll burn in hell. :mwhaha:

I'd go farther than that, and say that all execution is inhuman, no matter the method, but it is still necessary to prevent further inhumanity.

As for the terrorists - we can't rely on God, we have to kill them ourselves.

Adam and Eve ate from the tree of the knowledge of Good and Evil. This is a metaphor for man evolving a consciousness capable of the abstraction of morality, and capable of labeling his own actions as "good" and "evil". As pointed out in previous posts, animal instinct is not good or evil. The lion is not evil in pursuing his food.

This brings us back to the OP question of defining "evil". We have a responsibility as part of society to help define evil and help to suppress evil, so obviously it behooves us to understand what we mean by "evil". I humbly submit this definition for peer review:

Assumption #1: I posit that there are "Verities" of goodness, that in a perfect world, all people would have in abundance. These are somewhat debatable, but typically summarized as including: life, light, love, peace, power, truth, and beauty. Sometimes this list is expanded to include intelligence, harmony, grace, etc., but the salient point is that the more of these things you have in your life, the "better" experience of life you have. (No, I'm not using circular logic here.)

Assumption #2: I posit further that in the normal human experience, we do not have unlimited amounts of these Verities. We must regularly make trade-offs between maximizing one Verity versus another. Further, when we introduce having human relationships, we make further trade-offs between maximizing the Verities in our lives versus those in lives of people around us.

Definition: I define "evil" as the purposeful elimination or reduction of the amount of these Verities in the combined human experience.

Clarification #1: Classic crime against others is evil: murder deprives others of life, robbery deprives others of peace and beauty, etc.

Clarification #2: You can be evil to yourself, by purposely depriving yourself of these things, or refusing to see and use the gifts you have.

Clarification #3: Evil is on purpose. Making a normal trade-off is not evil, nor is accidentally injuring another person.

Clarification #4: The same action, such as killing another, may be evil in one circumstance (e.g. for the insurance money) and not evil in another (e.g. to protect your family).

Clarification #5: Not everything that we declare as "wrong" is evil. We have declared speeding to be "wrong", because of its cost versus benefits, but in most circumstances, it is not evil.

======

Let the flaming discussion begin!

Soft evil means not caring about others or feeling empathy at all.
Hard evil means wanting all others to feel pain, suffering, and die.

So by my definition psycopaths are soft evil, and nothing on this earth has yet been hard evil.

Anything not in agreement with God.

When i read that i thought it was a satirical remark from a non-christian, but then i saw it was you, and i loled. :lol:

You see, this is why I started this thread in the first place. If, for instance, immigrants to another country does not share all of the values of that society, then are they evil? Does this make their culture and way of life evil?

Yep, if they don't change how they act.

Top Bottom