1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Deity Challenge 7 - Montezuma-Pangea

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Hammer Rabbi, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Old Peter

Old Peter Prince

Only twice? :)

In the most fun legendary maps I am always wiped out several times, and eager to get revenge. :)

This is actually a very very fun map. Very good start, tons of luxuries around. Perfect locations for several cities, and a nice big jungle in the middle for allmthe fighting for aztec. But the neighbours are strong and a big big problem. I will take up playing soon, I had to socialize with my gf ;)

2. BBMorti

BBMorti Warlord

I am not a big jungle start, fan. This one sounds tough from the posts ..:shifty:

3. Maxym

Maxym King

I decided to finally try one of those Deity challenges, as I finished Gotm b4 new one got posted.

I saw all the jungle and decided to build jags instead of scouts. And then went aggro, built 5 more for total of 6 and declared on Darius as soon as I sold him all my GPT for 1st worker. I have not killed a lot of his units but kept him busy. I wish jags were archers as I have to rotate them out.

Settled 2 cities more, one where Peter has his in screenshot and then one south of Rome on hill where I think he has a city too. I am expecting Roman Dow anytime as he is friendly despite only red modifiers. I am hoping to fix my marble and sell it to him again before he Dows. If I have enough for a wall and archer I might survive. I need archers and CB to take on Darius, neglecting infrastructure trying to take him out 1st.

4. Wargizmo

Wargizmo Warlord

I'm thinking the only way to not get killed early on this map is to bribe Rome to attack Persia to burn off some units, otherwise Rome just has too many units early, lack of production in the capital really hurts on this map, you just can't get enough units

5. Hammer Rabbi

Hammer Rabbi Deity GOTM Staff

at least i wasnt dreaming that this save is indeed very hard.

Spoiler :
    most deity maps are hard but i can last to t150-200 in them. i havent gotten past t100 on this one yet. try number 3 got me to t94. i had an amazing 4 DoF's, one with ROME of all civs on t44 or so. the others were with Dido, Otto, and Napo. Persia was at war with Austria but he still Dow'd me on t70. thought he might be tied up enough but they werent really battling. none of their cities were taking damage. lost my one city on t85 and saw that massive immortal army on my cap at t94 and rage quit. that 2nd city was on a spices a little north of the CS to my NW. tried a dfferent direction than towards Rome. still wasnt a good idea. i really dont want to settle on the gold on the coast. other than 2 fish there is nothing there and the only other options are closer to either Darius or Caesar.

6. Old Peter

Old Peter Prince

Long uppdate later ;)

7. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

Its hard to defend the capitol but if you settled the hill you could take honor and put a citadel on the marsh. The romans might not ever be able to get to that tile to pillage it. All the culture from killing romans would power you through tradition after you have a few points in honor.

8. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

Haha wow this is my first attempt but it's so fun. I'm not exactly in a great position but I'm trolling the hell out of Rome. To give you an idea of how much he's feeding me, I'm 8 turns from my 7th policy turn 93 :lol:

Epic troll right here:
    Spoiler :

He DoWed me, I pushed him back and was stalemating and decided"hey why not just plop a city right in his face" and wow did I underestimate how dumb the AI is with citadels.

Yes I know the BPT is awful but NC is late a giant wall of Roman deathmurder will kind of make your priorities change a little.

I'm actually having more fun with this map because I know it's like insane ultra hyper turbo championship edition hard even by the standards of someone as good as Peter so I have no expectation on myself to win. :)

edit: hahahahahaha what

rome has turn 98 muskets ;_;

9. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

The culture dynamics from Honor are really intriguing. Of course they are amp'd way up in this one because we spawned next to Rome.

God of War and Holy warriors would be a good addition here. I took fertility rights every time because there is no way to get God of Protection. The Celts always take it.

10. Maxym

Maxym King

i am being optimistic there, as i am sure i will get owned by Maria at some point, i already know she is plotting against me and i just took out our common enemy and cant get her to DoW anyone else, so...

But at least Darius is no more, i had to take a diplo hit as i could not herd his settler to a spot we could both agree on settling. He wanted the jungles int he middle of my fledgling empire and i wanted a west coast out of my way. In the end Augustus settle the middle jungle anyway and i got the diplo hit. Hope its a lesser one as he Dowed me a turn before i was going to trade him my last copy of spices and Dow him.

here is what things looked when he Dowed, after my first Roman war finished in a draw, i lost my city but took one of his and got a peace for half my gold (9):
    Spoiler :

It took a while to finish him off, he was way ahead of me in tech and units but i piggybacked on Maria's efforts and sniped both Persagarde and Persepolis before she could get them. Now i am thinking of going after Rome, he wanted a DoF but i declined hoping i can either keep austria busy or get them to join me.

this is what it looks like now:

Spoiler :

I am thinking of moving everyone south and take his jungle city and then maybe Antium and Rome, maybe burn Arpinum and liberate Teo.... if things go well. If i can bleed him in jungles i dont have to worry about his legions as he has muskets now and so will I in 5 turns. I am hopelessly behind in tech even with GS taken as lib finsher. only one uni in Cap. And i am not quite sure what to do now: tech for Artillery? or try to keep up in tech and time a flight steal with a spy? I have never won a domination deity game and i am not sure what would be the best course of action here.... some help please.. Peter?

Attached Files:

11. Johan^^

Johan^^ Warlord

Why not accept and have him go to war with austria in a mutual front with yourself ?

12. Maxym

Maxym King

No one except Bismarck likes him. He is surrounded by my friends, Dido and Bo, and he is the only target left. I can't take on Austria even with him helping and I am not sure how to even get him involved. Besides even if it happened, after one city loss he will get a peace deal and I will be stuck fighting Maria for the rest of my existence which won't be much longer then it takes her to get flight. Fairly soon as she is already running away with it.

13. jtravers88

jtravers88 Chieftain

Please elaborate on how you could have more than 40 science on this map at turn 114. How about a video or at least a build order, tech order.

I've fought off Persia, then Rome, now Persia and Rome. No amount of diplomacy is gonna prevent them from DOWing you.

Attached Files:

14. The Pilgrim

The Pilgrim Deity

[rage mode]I absolutely hate you all people! :mad: Don't you have jobs?! Don't you have families?! :mad: [/rage mode]

J/k, however the envy is killing me. :cry: :D I'm still a bit overwhelmed with work and other RL stuff, but hopefully getting out of this mess. There is absolutely no chance I'll be able to catch up with 6 challenges I missed, so I'll have to cherry pick a couple. I hate my life... :wallbash:

15. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

Tell me about it, I never did 3/4/6 and still have #1 and #2 sitting around unfinished LOL

16. EEE_BOY

EEE_BOY Deity

Me either. I just play for about 100 turns or 150 and by then it will be clear if the game is win or loss. then I lost interest and went on to the next challenge. lol

17. Maxym

Maxym King

I have not had a chance to try any of the other ones on account of RL and such, but with a warlord level gotm I figured I can squeeze this one in. Might have not been a wise choice ;)

18. Maxym

Maxym King

It's not really diplomacy, it's thinning the herd. I found that by beating up on Darius early I made him the target. After me Augustus beat him, then Austria went after Rome when I had them weakened and finally after Darius again when I was fighting him. Maria has been very opportunistic in her victims and it has propelled her to first place.

And when I was afraid I will be next,, she asked me to DoW Augustus even though I could not bribe her to do it. I agreed in 10 turns and I am moving my army now. I am not sure if she can still backstab me now, she has lots of units around my persian cities and if she does I might not survive.

19. Maxym

Maxym King

yeah right, i am amazed i am still in it. I barely managed to grab Rome and Arpinium, but Antium went down in one turn, i had no chance. Wasted a GG getting ready to take it, hope it will help when time comes when Maria will turn on me. She offered a DoF and i took it of course, but other spies tell me she is still plotting against me.

I will try to grab artillery and rifles and hope to take either her or someone else out quickly. I would love to take Vienna only 2 cities away from my NE borders, but i doubt it will happen. She is a monster already, got her hussars and before i get ary i am afraid she will have flight.

Or i might try turtling now and going for science , i have enough of a base now. ANy suggestions.

Spoiler :

Attached Files:

20. jeespoks

jeespoks Warlord

Played 114 turns so far. This has been really interesting map. Decided to start settling south to all juicy spots with many luxes. That way I'd probably upset only Rome and keep Persia from DoW'ing me early. Rome was already expanding towards Persia.

I started by building 5 Jaguars and Monument (was thinking about going Liberty at the time, but went Tradition after Honor opener). Techwise I went Mining - Masonry - Pottery - Calendar - Writing - Archery and teched Construction until it was 1 turn from finishing and started Philosophy. Settled 2nd city quite early south of Rome and hardbuilt library there. After Archery, focused on building archers and tried to sell all the luxes to get gold to upgrade them.

I had a settler ready to settle the 3rd city on east of my 2nd city right after NC would be finished. Rome put Mediolanum a turn earlier close to my settler and had to move it a bit to south. Rome DoW'd me around T80 (I don't know what took him so long). He had a decent army with some Legions and Ballistas but fortunately I had CBs ready and managed to kill a lot of his troops. I captured Mediolanum a bit later and razed it, I had now room to attack Rome from east and captured Rome on T93 without much problems. Persia DoW'd Rome and soon after Austria too.

Started to beeline to Machinery and build CBs. I got a nice peace offer from Rome and decided to go after Persia, or at least move some of my troops closer to my capital. A quick look at the Demographics some turns later told me Persia suddenly has smallest military rating (I guess his war vs Rome wasn't going too well) and my next target was set.

Around T100 something funny happened, the tech and point leader Darius was "afraid". I took Susa on T112 (had to go carefully and slow there because of the terrain and Darius' musketeers). He offered me almost everything for peace but I refused and am going for his capital next. He has a lot of wonders, 7 or 8 I think.

Meanwhile Celts are wandering around Texcoco. I'm not too worried about Celts since they have cats and spears but I'm keeping some cash unspent just in case I need to buy a wall and a Crossbow or two (I'm hoping I can save the gold on Universities since I'm 8th on literacy, even behind Germany who has been beaten badly). I've only one DoF and no RAs.

Attached Files: