1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Deity Challenge 7 - Montezuma-Pangea

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Hammer Rabbi, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Moriarte

Moriarte Immortal

Humanism, obviously :D. Happiness is the most precious commodity. I guess, the lesson is: one should be warring from day 1 and without breaks for lunch, and if that's the case, rationalism could be postponed, since on Deity you'll be capturing cities with uni's and such. Am i right?

2. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

I would go Secularism and plan to take Free Thought next (extra 17% from unis and puppet TP spam really starts to contribute). You can get happiness elsewhere (throw up a few walls or rush-buy a theater).

EDIT: And puppets working Markets and Banks will contribute more science with Secularism

3. Old Peter

Old Peter Prince

Yes, hapiness is indeed central in late game.

But consider - Oligarchy (from tradition) in combo with Military caste and Professional army (both from honor).

Add to this neuschwanstein (very doable wonder in diety) and you will have a empire with great defence, culture and hapiness for no cost :)

4. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

You mentioning Neuschwanstein reminds me how badly this map has trolled me with that. I have several great cities that can crank it out but don't meet the req. Vienna has nearly 100 hammers per turn, but it's JUST out of range of a mountain, Persipolis is great but nowhere near a mountain, and my capital isn't close to a mountain. I have a very strong production city on the coast near a mountain...but Darius owns the Mountain :crazyeye:

5. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

Each tree has happiness for the cost of 3 policies. Tradition has 2 picks but Aristocracy is better after you have 8 or 10 cities that are up to size. Also Monarchy makes a bigger impact if you take is when the cap is bigger. Its almost as if tradition can wait.

6. Old Peter

Old Peter Prince

I save my one GE for it :)

7. Light Cleric

Yeah, I actually ended up planting my first faith GE on a Hill near my capital because I had 3 options:

1)Save for a much later wonder
    2)Plant it for a 7 hammer tile
    3)Use it on the Lovure, kill my GS generation but smack France for Chichen Itza later and get 24 turns of Golden Age in the end game to try and put it away.

The best part? Louvre got built the next turn so if I had burned the GE it would completely wasted LOL

So far I've got Tradition, Patronage opener(as filler), Rationalism(Secularism+Humanism so far), and Order->Planned Economy. I actually decided to try out Planned Economy earlier and I'm so glad I did, I love those quick Factories.

Anyway minor update, Bismarck finished Apollo on t209 so I'm officially on the clock :). Bribed him to attack Dido(Dido wouldn't attack him again) to distract them both. I've moved down and smacked the Celts and took Edinburgh, will try to liberate Monaco from them. Then after that I will probably push hard to either Rocket Artillery or Nukes for Bismarck. I wish I had more Oil but I own like half the map + 4 CS and the only Oil was a 7-Oil well outside of Vienna. :crazyeye: He took Paris, meaning that just leaves Carthage and Berlin as the mandatory cities to take. Fortunately my BPT is skyrocketing so I'm going at a good clip.

8. Barturion

Barturion Chieftain

When is the next Diety challenge?
    I'm lurking and learning a lot from these challenges although I'm not a diety player.
    I play the CIV franchise since CIV1 but only recently geared up to Emperor level.
    i geared up mainly because of these challenges.

9. Old Peter

Old Peter Prince

I have a fantastic map atm, with the best start and civilization. But it has a twist and is pretty tough I think. Should I? :)

10. Wargizmo

Wargizmo Warlord

Go for it, I wouldn't mind a new map, although I haven't really given this one a serious go yet.

11. Old Peter

Old Peter Prince

Oki, coming up :)

12. Barturion

Barturion Chieftain

Please do.. Cant wait to check it out.
    Although I'm a different type of player than most of you I just learn a lot from these challanges.

13. Maxym

Maxym King

Do you try to play them out and get stomped? Might be better then hanging in till the end in a losing game. I have hard time giving up.:rolleyes:

14. Maxym

Maxym King

Finally got stomped by Maria, she launched and took my cap the same turn. I declared on her 4 turns earlier to peel off one of four remaining CS a turn before a UN vote, but she only would have had 5 out of required 7. Was not taking chances, if she wants to win she will have to work for it. ;)

She was one of the biggest runaways i have seen so far despite wrecking my plans for sneak world domination by not warring much in this playthrough. I wonder if taking Rome out and taking a diplo hit for that stopped her. Also she left those four CS in the game, is she programmed to do that? Why not more, with few more she could have had a diplo win earlier?

Spoiler :

ooops my bad, can you guys move this to the Deity challenge 7 thread in the strategy section, sorry
    Moderator Action: Moved as requested.

Thank you :)

Attached Files:

15. jeespoks

jeespoks Warlord

You guys weren't kidding about this map being hard.

Spoiler :
    I've been on a stalemate with Maria for over 10 turns after taking two Roman cities from her quite easily. Her Hussars are a pain to kill. I've been killing about one unit in a turn now and every turn she brings two more back. She's got Rifles now too. Had to beeline for Dynamite and opened it with Oxford. I can't take down those 50+ strenght cities with Gatlings alone. Maybe I was stupid to DoW Maria so early but I didn't want her go her usual CS marriage spree. Spent most of my gold to ally a few more CS before DoWing her.

Persia wasn't hard to beat after all despite his GA. I managed to sneak half of a dozen XBows and a few Longswords to his cap, took it in a few turns, while he was fighting my other units near Susa. He had 9 wonders in his cap and one in Pasargadae so I feel getting Xbows before Education might've been worth it. Persepolis also gave me a GE soon after :) Had to take Persia off the game because his religion was all over (Maria took Rome's last cities so Rome's religion wasn't a problem anymore), he had missionaries running around everywhere and I had only my cap following my religion (those happiness beliefs weren't exactly paying off then).

I've been in war with Celts for a long time but she just stayed at her lands after I took out a dozen or so her units. Since then I've been more than busy with Maria and Celts were DoW'd by France and Dido. I'm hoping France will take Celts' cap and then I'll bribe Dido to attack France. Dido made peace with Maria a few turns back so no help from there.

Attached Files:

16. Light Cleric

Holy balls I actually did it. Turn 257 Domination.

Not as fast as some of the others but a win is a win! I need a break. :lol:

I can give more details if needed but I just wanted to celebrate my victory :p

Attached Files:

17. The Pilgrim

The Pilgrim Deity

Yes please! :D

I stopped reading the thread in the middle of the first page, don't want to get spoiled. It would be great for latecomers like me if people use spoiler tags a little bit more. :mischief:
    I decided to go backwards from last to second (well, not the last but I prefer standard settings games). Will see how many I can complete without getting knocked out by severe sleep deprivation. :D Although I'm flattering myself. It's pretty possible all the challenges will be over in no time. :lol: Haven't played for weeks, so I need to shrug off the rust. If deity itself is not enough. :crazyeye:

LC, congrats! :) Will we be lucky to see the recordings? ;)

18. Light Cleric

Sadly, no, I'm waiting on Logitech to send my replacement headset back. It's a wireless one and the mini-USB port shorted out so I couldn't charge it :( but at least it had a warranty :)

19. Maxym

Maxym King

Congrats LC!

A well deserved win, let's us know how it went. I started another one here, doing knida what you did going for Rome first, but it's not stellar, and I got sucked in into DC 8. And doing ether there 2nd time around.

20. Hammer Rabbi

Hammer Rabbi Deity GOTM Staff

Light Cleric, that map shot looks crazy. (i like the razed city gap between berlin.) i guess thats how you keep Austria from rolling into a Sci Vic pre-t250. well done.