1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Denmark

Discussion in 'Leader Balance' started by Gokudo01, Jan 29, 2016.

1. CrazyG

CrazyG Warlord

Certain uniques scale better on higher difficulties, there's no way around it.

My concern for rewarding pillaging tiles is that it will end up being rather gimmicky. Things like leaving a scout in the back and declaring war every 10 turns just to get a round of pillages off. But this kind of thing needs play testing

2. tu_79

tu_79 Warlord

We're not used to crippling wars.

3. wobuffet

wobuffet Barbarian

I imagine it'd be made un-sellable, like the Circus.

4. saamohod

saamohod Chieftain

Is the Vikings' special ability to get gold from attacking cities OP? I mean, I started an early war against Montezuma neighbour. I surrounded one of his cities with 3-4 spearmen and made several less-than-impressive hits on the city. Each hit yielded 30-50 gold, which is A LOT! It's just ancient era, my GPT is around zero and I have 3 cities, but I'm now floating in cash.
    Does anyone else find this kind of imbalanced? I mean the feature itself is cool, but the amount of money I get of a single hit to a city...

5. ElliotS

ElliotS Warmonger

No. Literally every civ has powerful abilities, and Denmark's take more effort than most.

There's a reason when we were brainstorming the most OP combos of UA UB UU Denmark wasn't mentioned this time.

They're strong, but balanced.

hr_oskar and bigcat88 like this.
  6. LukaSlovenia29

LukaSlovenia29 Chieftain

Just a small reminder for all those not yet experienced with Denmark: You can build Runestone (UB) in all cities, even non-coastal ones, so you can settle non-coastal cities one or two tiles away from the coast and still benefit from the coastal/ocean tiles, without facing the risk of a naval invasion.

tu_79 and Tantro like this.
  7. CrazyG

CrazyG Warlord

I find the amount of gold you get for hitting a city a little bit too high myself...........

saamohod likes this.
  8. Enginseer

Enginseer Salientia of the Community Patch Supporter

There's already a cap(per attack) with the city's health and population threshold (meaning high pop cities yield a lot of gold, low pop cities yield literally nothing)

9. ElliotS

ElliotS Warmonger

Denmark's nice bonuses are countered by the fact that they're a civ that needs to be in the driver's seat of a war. Feast or famine.

With the old Runestones defensive wars were fine, as killing waves of invaders like a tower defense got you mad culture and production. (Does that qualify as Wintermaul Wars?)

Now if you're not in enemy territory you're getting almost nothing from your civ. Gold is only on melee city attacks. Culture and Production on pillaging. It requires more effort and a good position, so it should be more rewarding.

That said if Denmark is outperforming other warmongers then a nerf is possible, but my experience in single and multiplayer makes me feel they're not too strong.

I'd take Greece over them in Deity. Greece gets more culture, has a better UU (Not so much because of combat as because of Tribute) and feels more well rounded. They also get a stronger combat bonus imo. (I'll take flat 25% CS over Denmark's Janky but still good bonuses.)

Gokudo01 likes this.
  10. Stalker0

Stalker0 Chieftain

I don’t see Denmark outperforming anyone myself. He definitely gets to the top in certain games I’ve played, but seen him get knocked down in a fair number as well.

He’s not on my F list

Gokudo01 likes this.
  11. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch

He’s on mine. ;)

G

12. LukaSlovenia29

LukaSlovenia29 Chieftain

What changes to Denmark are you planning, Gazebo? If you'll be nerfing Berserkers/special promotions, would you consider moving Runestone to the lower part of the tech tree?

13. Gazebo

Haha. My statement does not mean what you think it means.

>He’s not on my F list

He's on mine.

wink nudge wink

:)

It's a terrible, Tuesday-grade joke. Tax day or whatever.

G

Tantro, ElliotS and Owlbebach like this.
  14. LukaSlovenia29

LukaSlovenia29 Chieftain

15. Enrico Swagolo

Enrico Swagolo Chieftain

As in, you want Harald to Pillage your tiles? You want him to go berserk at you with his manly, huge Runestone? Is that what you mean?

ElliotS and Gazebo like this.
  16. pineappledan

pineappledan Chieftain

17. Gazebo

Bluetooth my Gormsson, you mean.

18. pandasnail

pandasnail Chieftain

Eh, Harald's pretty plain looking imo. Now his neighbor Gustavus on the other hand...:love::love::love:

19. Owlbebach

Owlbebach Chieftain

I think Harald should get the ability to attack his own units with +100% damage to gain expirience

20. ElliotS

ElliotS Warmonger

I think whenever Denmark Pillages a tile the game should blast "ME HOY MINOY" for everyone to hear. (Especially in multiplayer.)

Deadstarre likes this.