Department of Stranger Affairs

What exactly am I supposed to send.

How's this?

Dear Mr. The,

We are prepared to accept the following from your proposal:
  1. The Leader will work his noggin over to figure out some way to covey thoughts with copious congregations of symbolic characters.
  2. The Pilfinatress will build up massive fires to attempt to liquify some rock to gain useable shiny scolding liquid in order to fashion tools and weapons much stronger than the big stick that our oafs are currently carrying
  3. The monetary advantage (30g or 30 beakers) that Mr. The will gain by persuing said technologies can be re-imbursed once we discover a common monetary system as our monetary system involves moments of silence which are very rare and much sought after. This should be done before Beaurocracy is discovered as the paper work could be counter-productive and cost-prohibitive.
  4. No fighting is agreeable with us as we only like to scuffle in bed. But we are opposed to any 10 turn notice as this creates a lot of undue tension between teams if someone breaks off a peace agreemen. We would prefer to have the non-fighting, friendly state of our nations to continue until the years stop counting down and start to count up again.

Picking a peck of pickles,
Pilfinatress of the Piffle People

Perfect Pifflerower. Send it on with 30g or 30 beakers being specified. The rest I think they'd understand.

edited my post and will send off to Mr. The

Here is what I sent
Tubby Rower in Mr. The's treaty with the Pilfinatress said:
Sorry for the delay in this reply. We saw a frog hopping around the office and everyone coincidentally licked it at different times and the hallucinations weren't coinciding.

Dear Mr. The,

1. The Leader will work his noggin over to figure out some way to covey thoughts with copious congregations of symbolic characters.
  2. The Pilfinatress will build up massive fires to attempt to liquify some rock to gain useable shiny scolding liquid in order to fashion tools and weapons much stronger than the big stick that our oafs are currently carrying
  3. The monetary advantage (30g or 30 beakers) that Mr. The will gain by persuing said technologies can be re-imbursed once we discover a common monetary system as our monetary system involves moments of silence which are very rare and much sought after. This should be done before Beaurocracy is discovered as the paper work could be counter-productive and cost-prohibitive.
  4. No fighting is agreeable with us as we only like to scuffle in bed. But we are opposed to any 10 turn notice as this creates a lot of undue tension between teams if someone breaks off a peace agreemen. We would prefer to have the non-fighting, friendly state of our nations to continue until the years stop counting down and start to count up again.

reply from Gen W

Dear Tubby Rower and All Piffledom,

We believe we are very near a deal here.
Points 1 and 2 look great, and we agree.

We propose that point 3 be reworded to:
"The monetary advantage (30g or 30b) that The Leader owes to The Pilfinatress will be rectified as soon as possible either by a) a lopsided tech deal 30b in favor of Piffle, or by b) 30g in payment made as soon as Currency is learned by either nation.
The Leader will not research Bureaucracy (or equal-or-higher level technology) unless the debt has already been discharged."

We'd also like to see point 4 reworded to:
"Peace will reign between our two peoples until 1 AD.
During this peace, no towns may be settled closer than the halfway point between the other's capital."

We believe these rewordings protect both of our teams from any possible unfair advantage.

Let us know!

All the Best,

FM General_W
Servant of the Leader
Epsilon Team!

The only thing that I see as an issue is the settling thing. How will we determine the halfway point?

They appear to have re-worded point 3 such that it says the same thing as our proposal. :crazyeye: Or am I missing something?

The additional provision in point 4 of "no towns closer than half-way" makes sense. However, it may be difficult to abide by the provision considering we don't know where their capital is located.

Tubby Rower said:
The only thing that I see as an issue is the settling thing. How will we determine the halfway point?
Considering the amount of land this side of the isthmus, does it really matter that much? I would think we would be safe settling anthing south. We may want to consider getting a boat out to explore along the shorelines. We might get a better idea of where their capital is located from there.

My concern is there's ivory on the middle of that isthmus. War elephants are undoubtedly very strong early units.

Whomp's got a good point; plus I've already spotted a nice spot for a city on the landmass north of the Isthmus.

I would state that we appreciate the sentiment of point 4, but it is unworkable at this time becuase we don't know where there caitol is, nor what land they have discovered.

I wouldn't mention the Isthmus, becuase if they haven't explored it yet, I don't want to tell them. Let them think we have galley's for all I care.

I'll send the reply

EDIT:: sent
Gen and Mr. The,

Your re-wording of #3 seems to be saying the same things as what we originally had, but we'll go with your words. We appreciate the sentiment of point 4, but it is unworkable at this time becuase we don't know where your capitol is. How about just this for #4:

Waiting by the phone like a teenage girl for her new boyfriend to call,
Piffle
General_W said:
Dear Tubby Rower and All Piffledom,

We believe we are very near a deal here.
Points 1 and 2 look great, and we agree.

We propose that point 3 be reworded to:
"The monetary advantage (30g or 30b) that The Leader owes to The Pilfinatress will be rectified as soon as possible either by a) a lopsided tech deal 30b in favor of Piffle, or by b) 30g in payment made as soon as Currency is learned by either nation.
The Leader will not research Bureaucracy (or equal-or-higher level technology) unless the debt has already been discharged."

We'd also like to see point 4 reworded to:
During this peace, no towns may be settled closer than the halfway point between the other's capital."

We believe these rewordings protect both of our teams from any possible unfair advantage.

Let us know!

All the Best,

FM General_W
Servant of the Leader
Epsilon Team![/

Tubby Rower said:
Sorry for the delay in this reply. We saw a frog hopping around the office and everyone coincidentally licked it at different times and the hallucinations weren't coinciding.

Dear Mr. The,

and the reply
General_W said:
Dear Tubby and all the teenage girls at Piffle, :confused:

You're quite correct about point #4 being technically unworkable… but what we were after was the sentiment of the deal anyway – which we're pleased to hear you agree with. So how about that point says something more like "Peace will reign between our two peoples until 1 AD – during which time, neither nation will settle beyond the halfway point on the spit of land connecting our islands."

That's obviously still a little vague – but we'd like to see our agreed sentiment at least somewhat codified in our treaty.
We trust that both our peoples will be reasonable in upholding the good faith of that agreement.

What do you say?
Do we have a deal?
Should there be formal documents?

Until then,

Foreign Minister General W
Servant of the Leader
Epsilon Team!

What I understand by 'hub style' map is a central hub which is initially empty and all teams are connected to it via land bridges.

What I understand their message to be saying is either:
  1. the land at the other end of the isthmus is their island, or
  2. they want to keep up off the hub so they can settle it.

1) would be surprising to me, but I'm sure Sirian is capable of surprising me. If we are on a map where we all have our own islands with links between them, diplomacy is going to be crucial.

If 2) is correct, then they are clearly trying to gain an advantage.

I don't think we can accept this demand, but we need to be very careful how we turn it down.

That's why I didn't immediately respond. Hopefully some of our more tactful diplomats could give me some words that I can confound them with.

I agree with you Oldbus. I think the way around this is to explain until paper is researched and maps are able to be traded that any land division doesn't seem possible. There's too much exploration both (with emphasis) teams must acheive. If we have a border conflict then we'll cross that bridge when it's time.

Ulimately, we can't underestimate who we're dealing with on the diplo and ingame front.
They are undoubtedly the largest threat in this game. With Davemcw they have a great ingame player that has not lost 1 city against 8 people in our pitboss game. Granted, he's isolated, we've eliminated his trading partner, he's getting buried techwise but with some players looking to make peace with him due to logistics the alliance against him has started to unravel a bit.

We will need to make other friends that will buy into their threat.

With Davemcw they have a great ingame player that has not lost 1 city against 8 people in our pitboss game. Granted, he's isolated, we've eliminated his trading partner, he's getting buried techwise but with some players looking to make peace with him due to logistics the alliance against him has started to unravel a bit.
He has lost at least 1 city if not 2 ;)... but point made. He IS a kick-a** player

So could someone put together at least an outline of what I should reply with. If not I'll jsut use Whomp's opening couple of sentances as a guideline as some more piffle.

Whomp said:
I agree with you Oldbus. I think the way around this is to explain until paper is researched and maps are able to be traded that any land division doesn't seem possible. There's too much exploration both (with emphasis) teams must acheive. If we have a border conflict then we'll cross that bridge when it's time.

I like that notion. War elephants are okay but we have lots of stuff to play with on our end of the isthmus.

We just need to block them from settling south of the gateway hills anyway.

Top Bottom