[Development] Alternative Map during 1.17

Oh, Leo, that above is exactly what I was going to propose (Thanks TJDowling!!!).

After doing those movements, we'd just need to check/adjust the coastallines for mainland Southeast Asia; for the smaller islands of Oceania, I'm actually not sure what they are supposed to be (other than Easter island and New Caledonia), but I'd just adjust them accordingly (or, just move all of them south like Australia - it's the one place where I think alignment is least important.
If you want to go test it out in the WB go for it. Seems a bit of an undertaking I'm not quite sure how to tackle it. Also, taking a cursory look at the Pacific Islands it seems they are pretty well aligned with the Americas but as you said, that's far less important than being aligned with the Old World.

Also, re: New Guinea, I'd move it (and subsequently Australia) South even if Indonesia was left unmoved but that's just me. Or enlarge it.

Well to torture the English language a bit more, we definitely want an unkoenigsberged map. I'm open to concrete proposals (i.e. with a map) but remain skeptical.
Could you provide a screenshot of all the Pacific islands tagged with their names? And could you mark somehow (cultural borders?) those that can't be moved in relation to each other to ensure the UHV can be accomplished?

Without this info, it'd be impossible for me (and I guess most others) to assess whether shifting them messes up their position or not or to propose what concretely to do with them. If you have other remarks or restrictions for the region, it would also be helpful to know them, otherwise we're unlikely to come up with something that can meet your requirements.

Also, re: New Guinea, I'd move it (and subsequently Australia) South even if Indonesia was left unmoved but that's just me. Or enlarge it.
I fully agree with this too, I hadn't brought it up specifically because I thought there was no more room for this.

Could you provide a screenshot of all the Pacific islands tagged with their names? And could you mark somehow (cultural borders?) those that can't be moved in relation to each other to ensure the UHV can be accomplished?
All of them, that's the point.

I think the only feasible thing would be to move the Pacific Islands as one entire block without shifting them in relation to each other.

That said, I'm assuming that the UHVs are the same so if the fully extended cultural borders can reach over open ocean then you should be good to shift things a bit.

EDIT:
It does appear that at least Hawaii can be moved south 1 or 2 tiles in relation to Asia and the Americas. The North-western island of Hawaii (which I'm interpreting to be the island feature surrounded by ocean on our map) should be level with the middle of Taiwan and the southern tip of Baja California. But it is 1N.

Last edited:
New update: added a row to western France, moving the British Isles and Iceland 1N
Spoiler :
Civ4ScreenShot0107.JPG

Most importantly this gives a little more space to the Low Countries.

It did not make it in, and to be honest I forgot about it in this context. The issue is still, I would like some sort of art to represent the Straits feature, because unlike Capes it is too relevant for the game so it should be apparent. Although I would love to have some sort of art of capes as well.

It did not make it in, and to be honest I forgot about it in this context. The issue is still, I would like some sort of art to represent the Straits feature, because unlike Capes it is too relevant for the game so it should be apparent. Although I would love to have some sort of art of capes as well.
What might "cape" art look like? It'd be tough to implement in a way that looks natural I think. I guess for coastal adjacent cape it would look like an out-cropping of land but for non-coastal just water? Or perhaps it could have very small islands adjacent to the coast and a different, maybe earthier/greener, colour to the water?

Another thought, has anyone looked any further into coral reefs? I assume there is no pre-existing art somewhere in these forums.

Another thought, has anyone looked any further into coral reefs? I assume there is no pre-existing art somewhere in these forums.

There are coral reefs in History Rewritten and rocky reefs in Realism Invictus.

That leaves the straits art.

i see dire prospects for this terrain feature

There are coral reefs in History Rewritten and rocky reefs in Realism Invictus.
Took a look at the rocky reefs and those honestly don't look great. Personally, I'd rather see no reefs than those.

Regarding straits art. Did we determine it was possible to achieve straits? I remember it being a problem that if you implemented straits it would go across every diagonal pair of land tiles no matter what.

With straits I am talking about a terrain feature on an ordinary coast tile.

Yes, I'm trying to avoid confusion with the diagonal crossing of water tiles across land.

I might have a possible solution for straits. It works as follows:

We take the heightmap I was experimenting on, basically turning all diagonal connections into straits. That means that default diagonal connection will be straits. For the isthmusses, there will be a feature that "covers up" the straits. The isthmus model will be somewhat similar to the diagonal forest (sub-)models.

The reason why I set the strait as default is that I can't graphically take land away, but I can add land to the gap from the strait.

I have no idea if the isthmus model can blend in well in the terrain so it looks naturally.

New update: fixed city icons

Top Bottom