DG6 Discussion: New Office of the Prime Minister?

Octavian X

is not a pipe.
Some discussion has been going on in the sidelines about two offices whose existance is in something of a constitutional limbo - the City Naming Office and the Election Office.

Now, these two offices make up what is basically an administrative function, one that only take place in the forum. I wonder, than, why we can't place these offices be placed under the auspices of an elective office? Better yet, why can't all our administrative functions, like the poll and citizen registries, the various FAQs, legal documents, and maybe even RPG administration, be placed under one office?

We could place the various administrative functions of the forum under one office, that of the Prime Minsiter. This is, of course, part of a common governmental structure in the real word, in which the President acts as head of state (in our case, as default DP and head honcho), and the Prime Minister acts as head of government (in my proposal, as an administrator of everything not directly related to the game). The Prime Minister could even been given the power to appoint people to vacant offices...

That's the gist of my idea. Thoughts?

The President is presently responsible for selecting people to run the City Naming Office and Election Office. You would create a new elective office whose main function would be responsiblity for selecting people to runthe City Naming Office and Election Office. How is this an improvement?

Hmmm, I thought his suggestion was that the Prime Minister would run the EO and CNO (and maybe oversee othe administrative duties). We need an EO and a CNO, plus some Office to take care of other "administrative" duties that fall between the cracks. I don't see a problem with this other than the title. But I suppose that brings in other forms of Democracy than the US. It could shorten discussion on bringing about those two Offices and be a stop-gap for the things we may not have time for.

I agree with cyc for the most part. A head of the EO and CNO is fine but the last part of Octavian's post I am not to sure about. Why lessen the powers of the president by allowing the PM to appoint people to offices? I dont get that. Also, Maybe it should be amed something else.

Gres, I think the appointment part is more of a job perk, but rather than call it prime minister why not something like "office of administrative affairs" or "head of the central commision" . note: these are just ideas and I would be happy if someone else will come up with something better, just thought I'd get the ball rolling

I understand it would be a job perk but it is still taking away from the presidents position...

In my opinion the power of presidential appointments means little anyways. Most of the time if a governor is needed then the domestic minister makes the reccomendations and the president typically rubber stamps it , when the head of the ministry is absent the president rubber stamps the deputies promotion and his pick as a deputy. I cannot recall anytime in recent memory when the president actually made an appointment. I do believe that you have a point , it does take away the presidents power, but it is not a power essential to the office and would give incentive for someone to take on a primarily administrative office. Just another random idea off my head, why not make this an appointed position like the EO for term 6?

Alright, my inexperience is showing :blush: :sad: , as long as the presidency isn't losing really anything I agree that allowing the "PM" to appoint is a good incentive :)

Im agreeing with Gres here, give the Prime Minister(or mayb better named...) everything oct said except appointing. The thing is in this DG, the president could have struck down every appointee the domstic advisor had... they just never did.
Keep the appointing of vacant offices to the president, but the prime minister can be in charge of elections and the city naming office... plus a few other possible things, i might think about that

Octavian X said:
Now, these two offices make up what is basically an administrative function, one that only take place in the forum. I wonder, than, why we can't place these offices be placed under the auspices of an elective office? Better yet, why can't all our administrative functions, like the poll and citizen registries, the various FAQs, legal documents, and maybe even RPG administration, be placed under one office?

We have an office for this already, called the Moderators Office. Mods should already be making sure these things are in place if they are doing their job correctly.

As long as I get to run the City Naming Office next game, I don't care who my boss is...... ;)

Donovan Zoi said:
We have an office for this already, called the Moderators Office. Mods should already be making sure these things are in place if they are doing their job correctly.

As long as I get to run the City Naming Office next game, I don't care who my boss is...... ;)

The point is that these various offices aren't really represented by an elected official. I think we can pursue a greater democratic system by placing all of these administrative responsibilities on one person directly responsible to the people.

The name, well, we call everything a Ministry - the Minister of Domestic Affairs, the Minister of Foreign Affairs, etc. - officially in the constituion. Why not have a Prime Minister to accompany all of that, and fit into the list?

And the moderators have, to a certain extent, eschewed these tasks. Personally speaking, I think they should be responsible for these administrative tasks like elections and city naming, since it should be part of the territory involved in stickying stuff, keeping the forum clean, and overseeing discussion - to me, at least, it's part of the logical territory. I realize, though, that they are busy people, which is why I seek to assign these tasks to a more dedicated elected citizen.

[shameless plug on]

Actually, you'll notice in the Alternative Government Structure thread that these offices essentially get their own branch of government in that proposal. The Prime Minister idea could be implemented in that structure as a "Director of Administration" elected office.

[shamless plug off] :D

Furiey said:
the name (which I don't think is appropriate)
Quite.

In general the practice for systems involving both a Prime Minister and a President tends to be that the former holds executive power while the latter generally deals with appointments (ususally of Prime Ministers) and/or the kind of ceremonial duties which tend to be demanded of any head of state.

So, it's not a true reflection of actual governmental structure. 'Prime Minister' was just the first name that popped into my head. :p

And, yes, DaveShack's government proposal does fold these duties nicely into his administrative branch of government. I urge everyone to check that plan out. :D

I could careless what the name of it is, so I have no thoughts on that.

However, I think this is a great idea if we make the Prime Minister and elected poistion also, and if we give him/her the power to appoint the EO etc.

Top Bottom