• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Did Hitler ever admit to any error?

Mayor of H-Marker Lake
Just starting a class on Hitler and Stalin tomorrow. The text book is The Dictators by Richard Overy and he says something in the introduction that piqued my interest, even more than it is already piqued. Ovary references The Testament of Adolf Hitler in which F. Gernoud quotes Hitler on 26 Feb 1945 apparently lamenting that relations between himself and Stalin turned out so poorly. “In a spirit of implacable realism on both sides” he and Stalin “could have created a situation in which a durable entente would have been possible” (Gernoud, p.100). I can only imagine that if Hitler ever said any such thing he meant it as an insult to Stalin for failing to appreciate the benefits of cooperating with Hitler’s Germany because I would be shocked to discover that Hitler ever admitted to making any errors himself.

So was “oops,” “sorry,” or “dang” in Hitler’s vocabulary? Did he ever admit to any error of judgment or express regret for anything he did: should have let the Panzers roll into Dunkerque, should have used more trains to supply to troops instead of death camps, should have worked closer with Japan, should have married Eva Braun earlier…

Wait... Hitler sneak-attacks Stalin and then wonders about the bad state of their relationship? :lol: To me it rather sounds like that Hitler - out of despair over the failed Operation Barbarossa - fantasied about an alternate reality where he and Stalin were buddies. Which is typical for Hitler. Fantasying about things that are not.

But it is an interesting question you pose. I don't know of any accounts of such nature myself.

In Downfall he laments that he didn't have all of his officers shot before the war like Schztaleen had done. Don't know if he actually said that though.

In Downfall he laments that he didn't have all of his officers shot before the war like Schztaleen had done. Don't know if he actually said that though.

I was going to say this, but I don't know if it's real or just made up for the movie.

Ha, my first association with this thread was Downfall as well, which is why I figured it would be better to let someone else post something more profound here.

On Hitler's wishes he'd come to a detente with Stalin, though: that's pretty delusional if it's actually true. The whole reason for kicking off the war was to gain Lebensraum im Osten, after all, and that likely didn't end at the Russo-Polish border. So he'd have to revise his whole ideology to achieve any understanding with Stalin.

Leoreth, that's not entirely true about the Lebensraum. By the time Barbarossa kicked off the Germans had pretty much all the Lebensraum they needed. It was estimated that they'd need about a hundred or so years to populate it with 'aryans' and to tap into the resources of the Reich's newly acquired territory. And IIRC those were official Reich estimates. In other words, they had bitten off just a little bit more than they could chew, and they were probably be willing to pull out of some of the occupied countries in case of a peace agreement that guaranteed them their (as already mentioned, pretty spacious) Lebensraum. The Germans would've been indeed more than happy to sign peace with the Brits and call it quits, but of course nobody would let them. Nobody but Hitler had anything to gain from a peace treaty at this stage. The Soviets were basically waiting for Hitler to try and land on the island (which was not gonna happen) and then stab him in the back (which was gonna happen, if Hitler hadn't done it first). Stripped down to the bones Barbarossa was a daring preemptive strike on the Red Army.

But I'm going way off topic here. The OP's question intrigues me very much, but I doubt it that Hitler would ever admit (certainly not publicly or on record) any errors, even if he did actually realize he'd made them. If you take even a casual look at any random paragraph from his speeches you'll see that his Weltansschaung is that everybody's wrong and the war is everybody's fault but his, and that he's doing only what is necessary and good for ze German people. Admitting to any error, be it military or political, just doesn't fit with his image of the infallible Fuehrer.

Well, he drove a piece of lead into his head in the end; that could be interpreted as a kind of error-admittance gesture, no?

Well, he drove a piece of lead into his head in the end; that could be interpreted as a kind of error-admittance gesture, no?

:lol: Definitely quote worthy.

Leoreth, that's not entirely true about the Lebensraum. By the time Barbarossa kicked off the Germans had pretty much all the Lebensraum they needed. It was estimated that they'd need about a hundred or so years to populate it with 'aryans' and to tap into the resources of the Reich's newly acquired territory. And IIRC those were official Reich estimates. In other words, they had bitten off just a little bit more than they could chew, and they were probably be willing to pull out of some of the occupied countries in case of a peace agreement that guaranteed them their (as already mentioned, pretty spacious) Lebensraum. The Germans would've been indeed more than happy to sign peace with the Brits and call it quits, but of course nobody would let them. Nobody but Hitler had anything to gain from a peace treaty at this stage. The Soviets were basically waiting for Hitler to try and land on the island (which was not gonna happen) and then stab him in the back (which was gonna happen, if Hitler hadn't done it first). Stripped down to the bones Barbarossa was a daring preemptive strike on the Red Army.

On a slightly related note to the bolded text I was reading Anna Reid's book on the siege of Leningrad recently and it was quite chilling to read the section where she describes the German plan for what they would do if they captured the city. Halder for example noted that in July Hitler had decided "to level Moscow and Leningrad and make the uninhabitable", thus "relieve us of the necessity of feeding their populations through the winter".

A planning session in September also ran through a series of options about Leningrad (apart from the bits I have added in brackets to point three and point 4 being summaried these following points are copied straight from the book)

1) Occupy the city, in other words proceed as we have doen in regards to other large Russian cities - Rejected because it would make us responsible for the food supply

2) Seal of the city tightly, if possible by an electrified fence guarded by machine guns - disadvantages: The weak will starve within a forseeable time, the strong will secure all the food supplies and survive. Danger of epidemics spreading to our front. It's also questionable whether our soldiers can be asked to fire on women and children trying to break out

3) Women, children and old people to be taken out through gaps in the encirclement ring, the rest to be allowed to starve (this option basically consists of the evacuated population being spread out across either Russian or German territory). In either case there remains the disadvantage that the remaining starving population of Leningrad becomes a source of epidemics, and that the strongest hold out in the city for a long time (note the lack of consideration for how the dispersed population would survive the freezing winter and/or how it would feed itself).

4) Leave at least part of the problem to the Finns.

The conclusion it came to was basically to tell the world that since Stalin treated the city as a military objective, so would they. Once it surrendered the Germans would offer to invite the American government to transport the population to the USA under the protection of Red Cross transports - an offer they accepted would be nothing more than propaganda. Whilst this was going on the city would be bombarded and civilians would be allowed out through gaps in the line. Anyone left would be driven out of the city in the new year into captivity, then the city would be wiped off the face of the earth with explosives.

All of this might sound fairly normal fare coming from Hitler, Himmler or Goebels. In fact this was a planning meeting of the Army's High Command. The wording lacks his particular brand of hate, but it matches his conclusions, mirrors his uncaring attitude to the civilians and reflects the same curious mixture of cynicism and impracticality that was such a feature of the Nazi party.

Nor was the Army the only ones to get in on the act of trying to be more brutal than Hitler. The main objections of a Naval liasion officer attached to Army Group North were on the grounds of practicality (it's hard to persuade even the most brutal of people to murder the unarmed in large numbers, plus we could really use those nifty dockyards when we really have to go hammer and tongs with the USA) and concern that the action would "let loose a worldwide storm of indignation which we can't afford politically". He also suggested trying to get Britain and America to evacuate the population by sea (and when they reject the idea blame them for what follows), although quite how he thought that would have worked is another matter.

It all serves to demonstrate that whatever plans Hitler did have for a post-war Russia, they were deeply unpleasant whether Germany kept hold of most of European Russia or not.

Not really, more of a coward's way of escaping the world's reprisals for what him and his goons had gotten up to. Besides which he had his head too far up his own posterior most of the time to summon the kind of introspection required to comprehend his own part in his downfall. It was much easier to blame it on those around him and lash out at whoever he could given his limited communication with the outside world at that point.

Not that many of his subordinates were any more in touch with reality mind you.

There exists an audio recording of Hitler conversing -- as far as he knew, off the record -- with Mannerheim in 1942, where he goes some way in talking about how things were not going well on the Eastern Front. Mostly in a "we were mistaken about the level of resistance we would face and our preparations have not been adequate, but damned if I know what we could have done differently" way.

Well, given that his last words were cursing the German people for failing to live up to him... :crazyeye:

Dat was the joke.

He just wanted to escape the consequences, like a sissy girl. Perfectly understandable, though.

There exists an audio recording of Hitler conversing -- as far as he knew, off the record -- with Mannerheim in 1942, where he goes some way in talking about how things were not going well on the Eastern Front. Mostly in a "we were mistaken about the level of resistance we would face and our preparations have not been adequate, but damned if I know what we could have done differently" way.

Yeah: "Hitler: We have destroyed - right now - more than 34,000 tanks. If someone had told me this, I'd have said: "You!" If you are one of my generals had stated that any nation has 35,000 tanks I'd have said: "You, my good sir, you see everything twice or ten times. You are crazy; you see ghosts."

It seems he was capable to admit at least some sort of mistakes privately. He wouldn't have done that on public but then again, few politicians would.

http://www.ww2f.com/wwii-general/10807-conversation-between-mannerheim-hitler.html

Some of the survivors from Hitler's bunker also reported him admitting to mistakes in private, but always with the proviso that it was because his information had been inaccurate, thus absolving himself of the blame. To badly paraphrase a quote from memory; "starting this war has not been to Germany's advantage, as I believed it would. But I remain convinced that had England (Hitler always referred to Britain as England) not sided against us, we would have been victorious. Ribbentrop lied to me about England's resolve." Basically sums up his attitude, I think. Though, as others have said, that's not so different from the attitude of most politicians.

Top Bottom