Discussion: Pedias, Great People, Tech Quotes, etc.

Well looks like we've got some stuff going. Very nice - glad to see we finally have a capper on Kratos, and an interesting little story at that. Also, more SoulCalibur, which is never a bad thing!

But, speaking of Link from the Legend of Zelda and the whole "media is actually a story" thing, I've wondered how to fit the whole Zelda series into the timeline for a while now - what with the entire thing being incomprehensible and impossible to straighten out. I read a theory that every game is just a retelling of the same myth, more or less - at one point, there was a kingdom of Hyrule, with a princess, a demon, and a hero. Every legend of the Princess Zelda is told a bit differently, and thus, we have all sorts of different Links - some short, some tall, some young, some old, some 8-bit, some full 3D...

So, yeah, I guess that'd be the way to fit it in. I guess. Don't think it matters too much overall because, well, a minor kingdom like Hyrule wouldn't be of much interest in the grand scheme of things.

Still trying to sift through Transylvania, by the way. Nothing solid yet but I think I'm getting there.

Well, Hyrule is an entirely separate world from Earth. If Soul Calibur is anything to go by, Link traveled to 'our' world from his own. So, Hyrule's history won't really fit in with anything resembling real world history- while this mod deals with fiction, it does loosely follow actual history.

A very nice Kratos pedia. However, Arkantos, Romulus and Kratos were not the only heroes ascending to godhood - Heracles did, too. That would also explain why he battles Kratos in God of War III.

Forgot about that. I'll go edit it now.

EDIT: I haven't had time to write up the Master's pedia this week, but I may have a chance tomorrow or Sunday. It'll definitely be much shorter than Kratos, but I'll try to flesh it out a bit all the same.

Well, this thread has started to die out, hasn't it? Well, guess who's back!

Frankly, I didn't came around to write much lately, but it should be getting better soon. He have all put too much work in this to just forget it now, right?
And here's my first pedia in quite some time: Manco Cápac.

Spoiler :

MANCO CÁPAC (between 10th or 13th century AC)
First Sapa Inca, Founder of Cusco, Son of the Sun

While the early origins of the Inca empire are cloudy, there is one divine figure from this age generally known to have founded the empire that would one day stretch from the northernmost to southernmost tips of South America - Manco Cápac. Manqo Qhapaq or Manku Qhapaq means "splendid foundation" in the Quechua language and this name indeed foreshadowed his greatest accomplishment - the foundation of Cusco.

Manco Cápac was one of many children of the sun god Inti and the moon goddess Mama Quilla. From the day of his birth Manco Cápac was chosen by God (called Viracocha by the Incas) to be one of five gatekeepers all across the world protecting Earth against the Great Old Ones. His best-known siblings were his sister and soon to be wife Mama Ocllo and his brothers, the death god Vichama and, the eldest of all, Pacha Kamaq – an earth god attributed to have fathered the first Inca people. Emerging from Lake Titicaca, Manco Cápac was sent to Earth by the sun god instructed to create a shrine devoted to him. To determine where to built this temple Inti gave his son a golden staff, called ‘tapac-yauri’. At the spot where the staff sank into the ground Cápac built, as instructed, the Temple of the Sun. This spot was near the home of Inti's children, the cave Pacaritambo.

The temple would become known as the Temple of Qusqu (deriving from the Quechua phrase 'qusqu wanka', meaning 'rock of the owl'). At that time the people of the Andres Mountains were warring tribes living in small villages. The Inca people were among the youngest of these tribes as the god Pacha Kamaq had just founded them, as mentioned before. However, the Inca tribe was the first to encounter and enter the Temple of Qusqu. Until then these simple hunters and gatherers only knew caves and ordinary huts - thus the splendor of the shrine impressed the Incas so much, that they turned into devoted followers of Inti. With their new followers Manco Cápac and his sister and wife Mama Ocllo conquered the entire Qusquo valley and in the years to come they united nearby villages, tribes and minor realms to form the core of a new empire devoted to the sun god. With the borders of the Inca Empire expanding, Qusqu turned from a temple into a city that today is known as Cusco.

But not only human tribes were absorbed into the Inca Empire, their respective patron gods were assimilated too. The lightning god Apocatequil, Kon the weather bringer, Pariacaca the water god and many more formed a powerful pantheon of Inca deities. Alongside these powerful gods were smaller local spirits such as the apus and the huacas - both spirits inhabiting and protecting sacred locations. Manco Cápac even negotiated with the powerful Andean archdemon called Supay who terrorized the South American tribes for centuries. The Son of the Sun even managed to recruit some of Supay's fearsome demons - also called Supay - for the Inca army. Another important ally of Manco Cápac was the immortal superhuman Ajak, worshiped by the Incas as Tecumotzin, Lord of Flight.

Thus the Inca civilization expanded rapidly all over the Andes Mountains using whatever means necessary - religious conversion, trade, diplomacy, military force and even the wrath of the gods themselves. Under the banner of the Sun God armies marched, cities were built or destroyed, temples were constructed, peoples and local gods were annexed and hidden valleys were settled.

But after about thirty to forty years of rule, Manco Cápac passed away and was succeeded by his only son, Roca, who would become famous for the decisive Inca victory in the Battle of Mauedipi following the beheading of the Inca diplomat Teuotihi. Manco was posthumously awarded with the title Sapa Inca ("The Great Inca"), a title similar to the European title of emperor. Manco's corpse was turned in a Mallki, an Andean mummy, that would one day be found and displayed in the Museum of Cusco until in 2009 his spirit was accidentally awakened by the djinn John Gaunt allowing the fallen emperor to reclaim his mummified body.

After Roca a proud dynasty of Sapa Incas ruled the Inca Empire for centuries, until its conquest by the Spanish explorer and warlord Francisco Pizarro. However, Manco Cápac's lineage - the "children of the sun" - would ultimately survive. While some claim that the last Sapa Inca, Atahuapla, will return to life one day, many other Inca noblemen have survived in hidden refuges such as the lost fortress of Paititi and the remote "Country of the Blind". And even Manco Cápac himself returned – and not only as a rotting undead. In order to maintain his task as a multidimensional gatekeeper against the Great Old Ones, he is said to have reincarnated in the 21st century as a Peruvian street beggar called Pedro Cápac.

Spoiler :

* Myth of Manco Cápac - Manco Cápac, Mama Ocllo, Temple of the Sun
* Intiism - Inti, Mama Quilla
* The Power of Five - the Five Gatekeepers, reincarnation as Pedro
* Inca deities - Viracocha, Vichama, Apocatequil, Kon, Pariacaca
* Inca creation myth - Pacha Kamaq, Pacaritambo
* Wiracocha legend - conquest of the Cusco valley
* Apu belief - apus
* Huaca belief - huacas
* Inca demonology - Supay
* Marvel Comics - Ajak
* Legend of Teuotihi - Roca, Teuotihi, Battle of Mauedipi
* The Eye of the Forest - John Gaunt, reanimation in 2009
* Legend of Paititi - Paititi
* The Country of the Blind

Time for another pedia collection! As always I put in some new additions - mostly small stuff, except for a rather large restructuring of present-day Russia.
Plus I added the Kratos, Manco Cápac and Dracula pedia.

View attachment updatedpedias.txt

Here's a list of chances (any Tom Clancy fans will be overjoyed, by the way):

Spoiler :

ACME:
  • deleted Doctor Doom reference out of timeline problems

BIG BROTHER:
  • added reference to the Chimera invasion from Resistance: Fall of Man

PRINCE CHARMING:
  • for a more French flair I translated Far Far Away to Fort Fort Lointain

T'CHALLA:
  • to make it a bit more Zulu-esque I used the Zulu naming tradition ('Name' ka 'Father's Name'); so now it's T'Challa ka T'Chaka - sounds nice, doesn't it?

AMERICA:
  • added the Russian-American war from Call of Duty 6 - Modern Warfare 2
  • added the Red Storm War; primarily based on Red Storm Rising and Dr. Strangelove this could be turned into an incident uniting all sorts of 'Cold War turns hot' fiction

ATLANTIS:
ENGLAND:
  • fixed reference to the Chimera invasion from Resistance: Fall of Man

GERMANY:
GREECE:
  • added a modern part of Greece history; includes Percy Jackson and Saint Seiya

RUSSIA: This one was a larger update then the other ones.
  • added the Red Storm War from Red Storm Rising (as mentioned above, this could be a war integrating all 'Cold War turns hot' fiction)
  • added the Red October and President Narmonov from The Hunt for Red October
  • largely expanded the post-cold war section by merging several fictional ultra-nationalist and neo-Soviet factions into one:
    1. expanding the role of the already introduced Ushi Party from Empire Earth; now giving its name to the entire ultra-nationalist party
    2. the Russian ultra-nationalists from the two episodes Call of Duty - Modern Warfare
    3. Dmitri Arbatov's Russia from Ghost Recon
    4. adding the backstory from Crimson Tide
    5. the Soviet reconstructionists that seize power over Russia in the Shadowrun timeline

The latest timeline update in dooooooooooooooooooone! Revel in its continuity! It will be the last one until autumn, since I'll be working up in the Appalachians with autistic teenagers from late May until August.

Note that I had to slightly fudge Dibukk's new edits a bit, for reasons explained in the 'additional material' section in the timeline thread. Sorry.

I have to apologize for the total lack of work on the promised Master entry. I'll see if I can get it or a suitable replacement up before the 26th (when I leave), but I won't make any promises, since I am notoriously unreliable about writing these things.

And I have returned. Again, apologies for the absense, but as with Native America, it tends to be a large topic that, when busy, I need to fuddle-duddle around and don't get to post and put it off... BUT! Now I'm back, and I put everything together, and, here it is. Transylvania!

Spoiler :
TRANSYLVANIA

Since the dawn of man, he has always feared the darkness and the night – and for good reason. Evil creatures have always hunted humanity by the moonlight, and few are dreaded more than the vampires. The history of Transylvania is fundamentally bound to the history of the vampire, and it is nigh impossible to speak of one without the other.

The exact origins of the vampire are uncertain – many cite the Desmodus rotundus, or Vampire Bat, as the first vampiric creature, while others believe the origins lie within humanity alone. The first recorded human vampire, however, is Queen Akasha of Egypt. After her death in roughly 5000 BC, the spirit Amel – a millennia old Yuggoth spirit – forcibly joined himself with Akasha's soul with the aid of witches. Reentering her body, the dark being imbued the queen with a hunger for blood and great sensitivity to sunlight.

While Akasha is the first known vampire, she was most certainly not the last. Since her curse, vampires have come to exist in a number of different forms and from a number of different causes – some scientific, some mystical. Scientists group those of magic origin into five general groups, with some overarching traits, such as the consumption of blood to survive and other nonhuman characteristics. These groups are known as the Daeva, Gangrel, Mekhet, Nosferatu, and Ventrue.

The Daeva are generally thought to be descended from Akasha herself. Known for their sensual nature and ardent emotions, the Daeva are the common image of vampires in the public eye. Their skin is generally pale, with a texture of marble, with either crimson eyes, due to the consumption of human blood, or golden, from consumption of animals. They have strength far beyond that of a normal human being, but are often subject to vices and indulgence.

The major organization behind the Daeva is known as the "White Court," which itself is composed of a number of different clans, covens, and families, including the Volturi, Chthlon, and Erebus. Eventually, some sects of the Daeva grew to immense power; immune to the sunlight and gaining strength and agility far beyond the bounds of even a normal Daeva. Some believe that Heathcliff, a British man known for his iron-fisted rule of the moors near Yorkshire, is the origin of this particular bloodline; others point to the forbearers of the Cullen family.

The Gangrel, on the other hand, are ugly, animalistic creatures. Generally, they act as nomadic travelers, living and hunting for blood in packs. Like Daeva, Gangrel are formed by interaction with demons. While initially the most common breed of vampire, led by a single Council of Elders, circa 1000 AD Vicente, the elder Gangrel, attempted to bring his breed public. Met with harsh persecution, many were hunted, and the organization, for the most part, decentralized, forming the tribes and gangs the group is now known for. While many would remain in the Old World – eventually disguising themselves as more highly-bred vampires and forming the Red Court, a major rival of the White Court – an equally large portion would move to America's wilderness, such as the Lost Boys of California and Vicente's followers in Alaska.

The Mekhet are a rather secretive breed, known as "Shadows" by other vampire clans, due to their extreme weakness to direct sunlight. It is believed that Mekhet are corpses reanimated by artificial means, with possible roots in Atlantean rituals dated to 13000 BC. A wide variety, however, also exist in East Asia – these varieties, often known as Jiang Shi, however, will feed upon either spinal fluid or pure energy. Heavily traditionalist and fearful of outsiders, the Mekhet shun modern technology and weaponry; however, they are generally rather merciful to humans. Despite this, the Mekhet (and their centralized government, the equally mysterious Jade Court) are distrustful of even other vampire groups. Perhaps, this is due to the mental prowess of the group, with the ability to read minds, memories, and other aspects of an individual.

The Nosferatu are an interesting subset of vampires, combining humanlike aspects with strange, alien features. The best known Nosferatu is, of course, Count Orlok, and it is his mold most heavily associated with the breed. Generally immortal, the group has no overt organization, instead acting as free agents and spies, due to their relative skill at stealth. Orlok's reign of terror across Northern Transylvania in 1838 is one of the few examples of a Nosferatu aspiring to be anything beyond this.

Finally is the Ventrue, another widely recognized group. After the fall of the Gangrel, Ventrue appeared to fill the void, reveling in power and dynastic strength. Among the most famous Ventrue is, of course, Count Dracula, whose power and influence is often considered to be the main strength of the Ventrue group. However, he is by no means the only powerful Ventrue. Lord Ruthven of Rome was a fixture of high society for many years and is considered by many to be a great influence to modern vampirism. Demitri Maximoff of Romania fought for control of entire demonic realms while maintaining an iron-fisted rule over his subjects. Of course, the Black Court acted as the center of vampire culture for centuries. However, their grip dissipated after 1897 and the publication of Dracula by Bram Stoker, an account of the vampire's failed coup of England, and considered by many an instructional manual on the weaknesses of the Ventrue and is considered the major cause of the Black Court's fall.

In addition, as long as there have been vampires, there have been vampire hunters. The first "Slayer" was created in roughly 3500 BC by an unknown tribe in Africa; shortly after, these men formed the Watcher's Council, a group dedicated to the eradication of vampire kind. Slayers, often known as Vampire Slayers, are chosen individuals (generally a young woman) destined from birth to battle vampirism and the forces of evil in general. However, a Slayer is not the only individual capable of hunting a vampire – the van Helsing and Belmonst families has a number of individuals who specialized in vampire destruction, and many Dhampir (vampire-human hybrids) feel the need to defeat their darker brethren, such as Alucard and Blade. Of course, the dismantling of the Watcher's Council in 2002 led to the dissolution of the Slayers line, further opening the door to potential hunters.

Historically, vampires remained unorganized through most of their history. While some individuals rose to power, up until the Dark Ages, few had the means or ability to organize in large numbers. It was during this period that a number of vampire lords, at first the Gangrel and later the Ventrue, obtained control of regions, mostly in Eastern Europe. Due to the mass extermination of Gangrel circa 1000 AD, most of these records are lost; Ventrue lords, however, are still remembered. The first major vampire lord recorded is Walter Bernhard of Transylvania, also the first to give a reputation to the region. Dracula's usurpation of his rule ushered in the era of Dracula, the most famous vampire of the era.

Of course, all eras must draw to a close. During the post-Renaissance period, vampire lords began to fall out of favor, and their tenuous grip on their countries slipped even further. Vampire attacks in East Prussia during 1721 led to a full-on assault against the creatures, culminating with development of a cure for vampirism in the court of Louis XVI and Dracula’s flight from Transylvania during the late 1800s. Arriving in England, where he again was defeated, the Ventrue's final hold on Europe dissipated, and again vampires returned to the shadows. Transylvania, however, remained a center for vampire society, remaining the capital of their entire civilization for many years.

Until, at least, the resurgence of vampire culture at the start of the 20th Century. The publication of Dracula in 1897 and filming of Nosferatu in 1922 (unbeknownst to its producers, starring an actual Nosferatu) brought the idea of a vampire as a literary figure to the public imagination, a trend which continued throughout the century; underground vampire communities grew across decades, for better and for worse – the vampiric immunity to blood-based diseases, but ability to transmit them, seems to be a major cause of the AIDS epidemic of the 1980s. This culminated in the 21st Century, where the newfound popularity of vampires in literature and film and the development of synthetic blood spurred the vampire community to go public in 2008. This new development – vampires as citizens, not monsters – caused a great amount of friction across the globe, lasting until the Awakening of Magic in 2011.

Interestingly, the opening of vampires to scientific study led to an interesting discovery – the Human Meta-Human Vampiric Virus, or HMHVV, a transmittable virus that can turn a normal human being into a vampire. Later strains – HMHVV-II, HMHVV-BL, and HMHVV Krieger – were discovered to act similarly in the formation of werewolves, ghouls, and other such creatures. This particularly aspect of vampirism seems to have originated with Alexander Corvinus who, in the early 5th Century, was infected with a usually deadly virus, which mutated within him and gave him the traits generally aligned with a vampire.

It is impossible to ascertain which vampires were created magically and virally at this point – strains of the virus have been found in all five groups of vampires, and the variations in the virus amongst individuals makes it difficult to pinpoint which traits are directly associated with it. However, with this virus, scientists were able to engineer its own “vampires” – with their nigh-immortality, great strength, and use of sustainable sustenance, the vampires made for ideal space travelers and colonists. After millennia of persecution, the vampire had come to aid the men they once hunted.

Sources:
Spoiler :
INTRODUCTION

* Underworld Series – Vampires from Vampire Bats
* The Vampire Chronicles – Queen Akasha, First Vampire, Amel
* Buffy the Vampire Slayer – First Vampire from an "Old One"
* Cthulhu Mythos – Old Ones/Yuggoth
* Vampire: The Requiem – Basic Clan Outline

DAEVA

* Vampire: The Requiem – Daeva Basic Outline
* Twilight Series – Marble Skin, Eye Color, Volturi Coven, Sects Immune to Sunlight, Cullen Family
* The Dresden Files – White Court
* Blade – Chthlon and Erebus
* Wuthering Heights – Heathcliff

GANGREL

* Vampire: The Requiem – Gangrel Basic Outline
* European Folklore – Most Common Type of Vampire
* 30 Days of Night – Council of Elders, Vicente, Hunted Gangrel
* The Dresden Files – Red Court
* The Lost Boys – Lost Boys of California

MEKHET

* Vampire: The Requiem – Mekhet Basic Outline
* Marvel Comics – Atlantean Rituals
* Chinese Folklore – Jiang Shi
* Fifteen Painted Cards from a Vampire Tarot – Chinese Vampires Drinking Spinal Fluid
* The Sage of Darren Shan – Traditionalist, Merciful to Humans
* The Dresden Files – Jade Court

NOSFERARU

* Vampire: The Requiem – Nosferatu Basic Outline
* Nosferatu – Count Orlok, Reign of Terror

VENTRUE

* Vampire: The Requiem – Ventrue Basic Outline
* Dracula – Count Dracula
* The Vampyre – Lord Ruthven
* Darkstalkers – Demitri Maximoff
* The Dresden Files – Black Court

VAMPIRE HUNTERS

* Buffy the Vampire Slayer – First Slayer, Hunter's Council, Slayers
* Dracula – van Helsing Family
* Castlevania – Belmonts, Alucard
* Blade

HISTORY

* European Folklore – Vampires in Eastern Europe
* Castlevania – Walter Bernhard
* 30 Days of Night –Hunted Gangrel
* Dracula – Failed Coup
* Shadow of the Vampire – Real Nosferatu in Nosferatu
* Stephen King Vampires – Spreading AIDS
* True Blood – Development of Synthetic Blood, Vampires "Out of the Closet"

VIRAL VAMPIRES

* Shadowrun – HMHVV
* Underworld – Alexander Corvinus, Origin of Vampire Virus
* Fifteen Painted Cards from a Vampire Tarot – Vampire Space Colonists
It feels rather... lacking, I think. There's a lot of science but not much history, which, frankly, is somewhat difficult to pull together - there's a lot of stuff that vampires do, but none of it as an organized group. Y'know?

I chose Vampire: The Requiem over Vampire: The Masquerade, as the latter is a bit antiquated and the entire lineage system seemed too difficult to implement. I'm likely missing a LOT of possible details, as well, but... as usual, comments and suggestions would be VERY MUCH appreciated.

In addition, a minor update to the Vikings...

Spoiler :
Now known as Scandinavia, a splintered Midgard began to reunite during the 5th Century. Norway, a region first settled by the Goddess Gefjon, was a region of minor kingdoms and city states long before the era of the Vikings – hardly an empire at all. After the fall of the Roman Empire and the start of the Iron Age, legendary heroes such as Sigurd came into control of larger kingdoms and greater power. Beowulf, king of the Geats, made landmark progress in diplomacy throughout the region, aiding Hroðgar, king of Demark, in his battles with the beast Grendel, without request, years before his kingship. Soon after, he helped to slay the beast's mother, descended from the ancient evil of Cain. The two countries pledged fealty to each other, and Beowulf would help lead his nation into a new period of prosperity, lasting for decades. However, in his old age, Geatland was attacked by a large dragon, and Beowulf was killed in the battle - this battle sparking a tradition of ritualistic dragon warfare amongst viking groups. Wiglaf, his close friend, was chosen as a successor, but the Golden Age of the Geats had ended.

Sources:
Spoiler :
* Völsunga Saga – Sigurd
* Beowulf – Beowulf, Geatland, Grendel, Grendel's Mother, The Dragon, Wiglaf
* How to Train Your Dragonhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Train_Your_Dragon – Ritualistic Dragon Warfare
...and a little addition to the Aztecs.

Spoiler :
With backing from the Aztechnology Corporation, believed by many to have origins in the uprooted New York Mafia, the country was renamed Aztlan, after the homeland of the ancient peoples. While many praised such nationalistic trends, this period of prosperity only lasted so long. In 2041, Aztechnology revoked the Roman Catholic Church and replaced it with ancient sacrificial cults, and in 2044, the Aztlan government nationalized all corporations, save Aztechnology. Now a mystic police state, ruthless leaders came into power, using horrible blood magics and ravaging natural resources; most of the region was quickly transformed into a vast desert and poisonous wasteland. Because of this, few were surprised to see Aztlan collapse shortly after the start of WWIII, finally ending the legacy of the Aztecs.

Spoiler :
* Shadowrun – Francisco Pavón, Azatlán Party, Aztechnology, Aztlan, Awakening of Magic
* Miami 2017 (Seen the Lights Go Out on Broadway)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_2017_(Seen_the_Lights_Go_Out_on_Broadway) – The New York Mafia in Mexico
This one probably requires some explaining.

See, in the song Miami 2017 by the great Billy Joel, he sings about the US Government officially destroying New York City. They were relocated to Florida, the Mafia fled to Mexico and took over, the Bronx was blown away, all that. Now, I think this would be a great thing to integrate into the timeline - after an economic crisis, the government attempts to dismantle New York. It's met with limited success, but the city becomes self-efficient, and when the government splinters, is able to go on as usual.

Just a thought. Everything could use a bit more Billy Joel, methinks.

I love it! I particularly like the different bloodlines- you did a great job of mixing together the various kinds of vampires.

Only a few minor quibbles:

* Maybe a little bit more history of Transylvania itself, particularly into the modern day. This might be difficult, since there probably isn't much fiction on the subject.

* Note that when the Watcher's Council was disbanded, the Slayer line wasn't discontinued. A spell was cast empowering all of the potential Slayers in the world, thus creating hundreds- possibly thousands- of Slayers worldwide. The conflict between the new Slayers and the now public vampire community is the main plot for the comic book series Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season Eight. But this can be summed up into a single sentence or two.

* Just as a minor gag, I think it would be funny if, at some point in the pedia, it said something like '...Transylvania, not to be confused with the galaxy of the same name...' I only say this because I've been singing 'Sweet Transvestite' all day.

Wait... you made the protagonist from a Bronte novel into a vampire?

But really, that's great, especially since it's a lot to cover. I'd recommend a bit on the history of Transylvania itself as a region of Romania, as well as something on vampires in Russia, since the myth of the "wampyr" is what started the whole bloody mess.

Other than that, Angel (the Buffyverse character) becomes a pretty important figure in the vampire community, so he should get a mention, as should Lestat du Lioncourt. Also, you could drop a hint about how the vampire has influenced other underworld groups, like Les Vampires

Alright, new-and-improved Transylvania...

Spoiler :
TRANSYLVANIA

Since the dawn of man, he has always feared the darkness and the night – and for good reason. Evil creatures have always hunted humanity by the moonlight, and few are dreaded more than the vampires. The history of Transylvania – not to be confused with the galaxy of the same name – is fundamentally bound to the history of the vampire, and it is nigh impossible to speak of one without the other.

The exact origins of the vampire are uncertain – many cite the Desmodus rotundus, or Vampire Bat, as the first vampiric creature, while others believe the origins lie within humanity alone. The first recorded human vampire, however, is Queen Akasha of Egypt. After her death in roughly 5000 BC, the spirit Amel – a millennia old Yuggoth spirit – forcibly joined himself with Akasha's soul with the aid of witches. Reentering her body, the dark being imbued the queen with a hunger for blood and great sensitivity to sunlight.

While Akasha is the first known vampire, she was most certainly not the last. Since her curse, vampires have come to exist in a number of different forms and from a number of different causes – some scientific, some mystical. Scientists group those of magic origin into five general groups, with some overarching traits, such as the consumption of blood to survive and other nonhuman characteristics. These groups are known as the Daeva, Gangrel, Mekhet, Nosferatu, and Ventrue.

The Daeva are generally thought to be descended from Akasha herself. Known for their sensual nature and ardent emotions, the Daeva are the common image of vampires in the public eye. Their skin is generally pale, with a texture of marble, with either crimson eyes, due to the consumption of human blood, or golden, from consumption of animals. They have strength far beyond that of a normal human being, but are often subject to vices and indulgence.

The major organization behind the Daeva is known as the "White Court," which itself is composed of a number of different clans, covens, and families, including the Volturi, Chthlon, and Erebus. Eventually, some sects of the Daeva grew to immense power; immune to the sunlight and gaining strength and agility far beyond the bounds of even a normal Daeva. Some believe that Heathcliff, a British man known for his iron-fisted rule of the moors near Yorkshire, is the origin of this particular bloodline; others point to the forbearers of the Cullen family.

The Gangrel, on the other hand, are ugly, animalistic creatures. Generally, they act as nomadic travelers, living and hunting for blood in packs. Like Daeva, Gangrel are formed by interaction with demons. While initially the most common breed of vampire, led by a single Council of Elders, circa 1000 AD Vicente, the elder Gangrel, attempted to bring his breed public. Met with harsh persecution, many were hunted, and the organization, for the most part, decentralized, forming the tribes and gangs the group is now known for. While many would remain in the Old World – eventually disguising themselves as more highly-bred vampires and forming the Red Court, a major rival of the White Court – an equally large portion would move to America's wilderness, such as the Lost Boys of California and Vicente's followers in Alaska.

The Mekhet are a rather secretive breed, known as "Shadows" by other vampire clans, due to their extreme weakness to direct sunlight. It is believed that Mekhet are corpses reanimated by artificial means, with possible roots in Atlantean rituals dated to 13000 BC. A wide variety, however, also exist in East Asia – these varieties, often known as Jiang Shi, however, will feed upon either spinal fluid or pure energy. Heavily traditionalist and fearful of outsiders, the Mekhet shun modern technology and weaponry; however, they are generally rather merciful to humans. Despite this, the Mekhet (and their centralized government, the equally mysterious Jade Court) are distrustful of even other vampire groups. Perhaps, this is due to the mental prowess of the group, with the ability to read minds, memories, and other aspects of an individual.

The Nosferatu are an interesting subset of vampires, combining humanlike aspects with strange, alien features. The best known Nosferatu is, of course, Count Orlok, and it is his mold most heavily associated with the breed. Generally immortal, the group has no overt organization, instead acting as free agents and spies, due to their relative skill at stealth. Orlok's reign of terror across Northern Transylvania in 1838 is one of the few examples of a Nosferatu aspiring to be anything beyond this.

Finally is the Ventrue, another widely recognized group. After the fall of the Gangrel, Ventrue appeared to fill the void, reveling in power and dynastic strength. Among the most famous Ventrue is, of course, Count Dracula, whose power and influence is often considered to be the main strength of the Ventrue group. However, he is by no means the only powerful Ventrue. Lord Ruthven of Rome was a fixture of high society for many years and is considered by many to be a great influence to modern vampirism. Demitri Maximoff of Romania fought for control of entire demonic realms while maintaining an iron-fisted rule over his subjects. Of course, the Black Court acted as the center of vampire culture for centuries. However, their grip dissipated after 1897 and the publication of Dracula by Bram Stoker, an account of the vampire's failed coup of England, and considered by many an instructional manual on the weaknesses of the Ventrue and is considered the major cause of the Black Court's fall.

In addition, as long as there have been vampires, there have been vampire hunters. The first "Slayer" was created in roughly 3500 BC by an unknown tribe in Africa; shortly after, these men formed the Watcher's Council, a group dedicated to the eradication of vampire kind. Slayers, often known as Vampire Slayers, are chosen individuals (generally a young woman) destined from birth to battle vampirism and the forces of evil in general. However, a Slayer is not the only individual capable of hunting a vampire – the van Helsing and Belmonst families has a number of individuals who specialized in vampire destruction, and many Dhampir (vampire-human hybrids) feel the need to defeat their darker brethren, such as Alucard and Blade. Of course, in 2002, the Watcher's Council was disbanded and a spell cast created hundreds of new Slayers, changing the dynamic of vampire hunting forever.

Historically, vampires remained unorganized through most of their history. While some individuals rose to power, up until the Dark Ages, few had the means or ability to organize in large numbers. It was during this period that a number of vampire lords, at first the Gangrel and later the Ventrue, obtained control of regions, mostly in Eastern Europe - known is Russia and many other Slavic nations as as the "wampyr," this became the first case of vampires collectively preying on human beings. Due to the mass extermination of Gangrel circa 1000 AD, most of these records are lost; however, with the rise of the Ventrue in Transylvania, the next era was to begin.

Transylvania, a region in northern Romania, was rather unremarkable until the influx of vampiric warlords at the start of the millenium. The first major vampire lord recorded from the area is Walter Bernhard from the late 10th Century. In 1093, Mathias Cronqvist (later Dracula) usurped his throne at Castlevania, ushering in the era of Dracula, among the most influential vampires of all time. The region's reputation continued to decline when in 1284 the Pied Piper of Hamelin - by some accounts - led the children of the city away to Transylvania, leading to speculation he himself was a vampiric figure. While the moral reputation of the nation began to decline, the strange circumstances became a magnet for scientific figures - Victor Frankenstein (and far later his grandson, Frederick) performed experiments there, as did many others. Similarly, aristocratic vampires, such as Lestat de Lioncourt, became figures of renown in both worlds.

Of course, all eras must draw to a close. During the post-Renaissance period, vampire lords began to fall out of favor, and their tenuous grip on their countries slipped even further. Vampire attacks in East Prussia during 1721 led to a full-on assault against the creatures, culminating with development of a cure for vampirism in the court of Louis XVI and Dracula’s flight from Transylvania during the late 1800s. Arriving in England, where he again was defeated, the Ventrue's final hold on Europe dissipated - for the first time in history, a large number of emigrant Transylvanians, of the non-vampiric persuation, many of whom went to settle in the American West. In the Old World, the vampires returned to the shadows.

In their place, new figures appeared - rumors of the Devil himself occupying a castle in the territory were reported in 1893, and other mysterious creatures preyed on Nazi SS Officers in 1941, during the brief occupation of the country. Despite these new visitors, with Dracula's return in 1944 (while as short-lived as his many others), Transylvania was again the nation of vampires. Transylvania, however, remained a center for vampire society, remaining the capital of their entire civilization for many years. However, it, like all nations, modernized; the opening of Transylvania Polygnostic University, for example, began attracting a number of non-vampires to the region.

Despite this, Transylvania and vampires on the whole remained figures of fear and loathing, at least, the resurgence of vampire culture at the start of the 20th Century. The publication of Dracula in 1897 and filming of Nosferatu in 1922 (unbeknownst to its producers, starring an actual Nosferatu) brought the idea of a vampire as a literary figure to the public imagination, a trend which continued throughout the century, inspiring many to imitate the vampire, including the famous criminal gang known as "Les Vampires." Underground vampire communities grew across decades, for better and for worse – the vampiric immunity to blood-based diseases, but ability to transmit them, seems to be a major cause of the AIDS epidemic of the 1980s.

This culminated in the 21st Century, where the newfound popularity of vampires in literature and film and the development of synthetic blood spurred the vampire community to go public in 2008. This new development – vampires as citizens, not monsters – caused a great amount of friction across the globe, particularly with the blossoming Slayer groups. Despite this, many important steps were taken in dismantling the barrier between the dead and undead. In this same period the vampire Angel fought to protect humanity, and eventually attained celebrity status in Los Angeles despite the negative connotations of vampirism.

Interestingly, the opening of vampires to scientific study led to an interesting discovery – the Human Meta-Human Vampiric Virus, or HMHVV, a transmittable virus that can turn a normal human being into a vampire. Later strains – HMHVV-II, HMHVV-BL, and HMHVV Krieger – were discovered to act similarly in the formation of werewolves, ghouls, and other such creatures. This particularly aspect of vampirism seems to have originated with Alexander Corvinus who, in the early 5th Century, was infected with a usually deadly virus, which mutated within him and gave him the traits generally aligned with a vampire.

It is impossible to ascertain which vampires were created magically and virally at this point – strains of the virus have been found in all five groups of vampires, and the variations in the virus amongst individuals makes it difficult to pinpoint which traits are directly associated with it. However, with this virus, scientists were able to engineer its own “vampires” – with their nigh-immortality, great strength, and use of sustainable sustenance, the vampires made for ideal space travelers and colonists. After millennia of persecution, the vampire had come to aid the men they once hunted.

Sources:
Spoiler :
INTRODUCTION

* Underworld Series – Vampires from Vampire Bats
* The Rocky Horror Picture Show – The Galaxy Transylvania
* The Vampire Chronicles – Queen Akasha, First Vampire, Amel
* Buffy the Vampire Slayer – First Vampire from an "Old One"
* Cthulhu Mythos – Old Ones/Yuggoth
* Vampire: The Requiem – Basic Clan Outline

DAEVA

* Vampire: The Requiem – Daeva Basic Outline
* Twilight Series – Marble Skin, Eye Color, Volturi Coven, Sects Immune to Sunlight, Cullen Family
* The Dresden Files – White Court
* Blade – Chthlon and Erebus
* Wuthering Heights – Heathcliff

GANGREL

* Vampire: The Requiem – Gangrel Basic Outline
* European Folklore – Most Common Type of Vampire
* 30 Days of Night – Council of Elders, Vicente, Hunted Gangrel
* The Dresden Files – Red Court
* The Lost Boys – Lost Boys of California

MEKHET

* Vampire: The Requiem – Mekhet Basic Outline
* Marvel Comics – Atlantean Rituals
* Chinese Folklore – Jiang Shi
* Fifteen Painted Cards from a Vampire Tarot – Chinese Vampires Drinking Spinal Fluid
* The Sage of Darren Shan – Traditionalist, Merciful to Humans
* The Dresden Files – Jade Court

NOSFERARU

* Vampire: The Requiem – Nosferatu Basic Outline
* Nosferatu – Count Orlok, Reign of Terror

VENTRUE

* Vampire: The Requiem – Ventrue Basic Outline
* Dracula – Count Dracula
* The Vampyre – Lord Ruthven
* Darkstalkers – Demitri Maximoff
* The Dresden Files – Black Court

VAMPIRE HUNTERS

* Buffy the Vampire Slayer – First Slayer, Hunter's Council, Slayers
* Dracula – van Helsing Family
* Castlevania – Belmonts, Alucard
* Blade

HISTORY

* European Folklore – Vampires in Eastern Europe, Slavic Wampyrs
* Castlevania – Walter Bernhard
* 30 Days of Night –Hunted Gangrel
* Castlevania: Lament of Innocence – Mathias Cronqvist, Walter Bernhard, Origin of Dracula
* Pied Piper of Hamelin – Children Led to Transylvania
* Van Helsing – Frankenstein in Transylvania
* Young Frankenstein – Frederick Frankenstein
* Hammer Horror Films – Scientists in Transylvania
* The Vampire Chronicles – Lestat de Lioncourt
* Moonlight – Vampirism in Louis XVI's Court
* Dracula – Failed Coup
* The Prophet, the Gold, and the Transylvanians (and Sequels) – Transylvanians in the Wild West
* Carpathian Castle – Rumors of the Devil
* The Keep – Hunted Nazis
* Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin – Revival in 1944
* Girl Genius – Transylvania Polygnostic Univesity
* Shadow of the Vampire – Real Nosferatu in Nosferatu
* Les Vampires – Les Vampires, Groups Inspired by Vampires
* Stephen King Vampires – Spreading AIDS
* True Blood – Development of Synthetic Blood, Vampires "Out of the Closet"
* Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Eight – Conflict Between Slayers and Public Vampires
* Angel: After the Fall – Angel the Celebrity Vampire

VIRAL VAMPIRES

* Shadowrun – HMHVV
* Underworld – Alexander Corvinus, Origin of Vampire Virus
* Fifteen Painted Cards from a Vampire Tarot – Vampire Space Colonists
Alright, hopefully that'll do. Always open for more suggestions, of course!

Wait... you made the protagonist from a Bronte novel into a vampire?

Indeed - I recall, when reading Wuthering Heights, my thoughts were pretty constantly "man, this guy is TOTALLY a vampire." And considering the Bronte sisters' books started the whole Gothic Romance trend that's evolved into the modern Vampire Romance genre (including Twilight), putting him as a literal ancestor to Edward Cullen was too much to resist.

:goodjob: Your hard work has earned you a Moogi Seal of Approval. This pedia probably drew on more sources than any other one written so far, and you did an excellent job of reconciling all these different stories. I tip my hat to you, sir.

Also, vampire Heathcliff is just too awesome for words. We have to keep him.

While I'm here, I figured I may as well update our progress on Pedias overall. BLUE means the Pedia is done, RED means it's not. If there was any entry at all, even if incomplete, I counted it as "done."

Spoiler :
AMERICA
Leaders: Jed Bartlet, Jack Ryan, Nehemiah Scudder

ARABIA
Leaders: Haroun Al-Raschid, Vathek

ATLANTIS
Leaders: Atlas, Arthur Curry

AZTEC
Leaders: Huitzilopochtli

CELTIA
Leaders: Macbeth, Lear

CHINA
Leaders: Huangdi, Wu Qinghua, Liu Bei

EGYPT
Leaders: Ozymandias, Ra

ENGLAND
Leaders: Arthur, Gloriana, Big Brother

FREEDO-MORONIKA
Leaders: Rufus T. Firefly, Moe Hailstone, Victor von Doom

FRANCE
Leaders: Prince Charming, Louis XVI

GERMANY
Leaders: Froschkonig, Adenoid Hynkel

GREECE
Leaders: Agamemnon, Oedipus

HYBOREA
Leaders: Conan

INCA
Leaders: Manco Capac

INDIA
Leaders: Raghava Rama, Khan Noonien Singh

JAPAN
Leaders: Yamato Takeru

MALI
Leaders: Chibinda Ilunga, Shango

NATIVE AMERICA
Leaders: Hiawatha, Winnetou, Daniel Howling Coyote

PERSIA
Leaders: Xerxes, Sheherezade, Ayatollah Daraei

ROME
Leaders: Romulus and Remus, Lucius Tiberius

RUSSIA
Leaders: Ivan, Fearless Leader

SHAMBHALA
Leaders: Suchandra

SPAIN
Leaders: El Cid

SUMERIA
Leaders: Gilgamesh

TRANSYLVANIA
Leaders: Dracula

UTOPIA
Leaders: Utopos

VIKINGS
Leaders: Beowulf, Snow Queen

ZULU
Leaders: Jaffe Joffer, T'Challa
The following civilizations have no entries at all...

* ARABIA
* HYBOREA
* INDIA
* MALI
* SPAIN
* SUMERIA
* UTOPIA

...the following are 50% complete or less...

* CHINA
* GREECE
* JAPAN
* NATIVE AMERICA
* PERSIA
* ROME
* RUSSIA
* SHAMBHALA

...the following are nigh-finished...

* AMERICA
* ATLANTIS
* CELTIA
* EGYPT
* GERMANY
* VIKINGS

...and, of course, the rest are complete. Personally, I kinda want to finish up some of the Empires we've almost finished before I move on to anything really new. I'm thinking I'll go after Jack Ryan or Atlas, myself. Maybe King Lear. Actually, maybe I'll do Agamemnon or Oedipus. I've been reading up on Greek mythology a lot recently, so, it's been bouncing about in my head for a while. In any case, someone who'll relatively easy after all the trouble with Transylvania, y'know?

After that, my next "project," I think, will be Spain. I'm sure there'll be a lot to sift through, but I have a good grasp on the real-world history, so it shouldn't be too rough.

Congratulations, johnny, you succeeded where I failed - the Transsylvania pedia is finished and I love it! Plus it rivals with Freedo-Moronika for the title of 'Pedia drawing on most sources'.

Furthermore, I agree to you that we should concentrate on finishing nigh-done civilizations. Thus I suppose my next project will be either the Froschkönig or Ra. Suchandra should be write-able, too, and as a fan of the Trojan War I'm somewhat interested in writing a pedia for Agamemon, if that's okay with johnny.

And as much as I would like to praise your newest pedia even more, I'm afraid I can't because I'm kinda turning into stone right now...

Spoiler :

MEDUSA

Of all the horrible monsters of ancient Greece probably the most dreadful were the horrible Gorgon sisters (derived from the Greek word gorgós, which means "dreadful"). Stheno, Euryale and, perhaps the best-known, Medusa - these names will forever be a scourge for mankind, a reminder of the consequences of offending the gods.

The three Gorgon sisters were the offspring of the monstrous marine deities Phorcys and his sister Ceto. The Gorgons had many other siblings, called the Phorcydes, including the three Graeae, the dragon Ladon and, the eldest of all, Echidna - who is appropriately called the Mother Of All Monsters. All of these creatures were archaic beast deities of the sea or of the earth. Among this horrible brood the Gorgons were rather young - Echidna's birth predates even the Thurian Age - and surprisingly normal looking as they all looked human.

The eldest of the Gorgon sisters was Stheno (Greek for "forceful"). Gifted with immortality she was born in the caverns beneath Mount Olympus and she was known to be the most independent and ferocious of the three sisters. The second sister, Euryale (Greek for "far-roaming"), was noted for her bellowing cry. The last sister, Medusa ("guardian, protectress"), was born in the Gorgons' home in modern-day Libya. While her two sisters were immortal, for some reason Medusa was not.

At some point in the rather early history of Greece, the beautiful Medusa was appointed the grand priestess of the temple of Athena, but when she and the god Poseidon lay together in Athena's temple - some say he raped her - the enraged and envious Athena cursed the pregnant Gorgon. Medusa's sisters stood with her when Athena uttered the curse and thus all three Gorgon sisters were transformed. They grew wings of gold, brazen claws, the tusks of boars and the fangs and skin of serpents, while their hair was turned into living, venomous snakes and they became so terrifying that their very gaze turned those who beheld it to stone.

Enraged by Athena's punishment the Gorgons went on a killing spree through Greece. While it was incredibly hard to kill the immortal Stheno and Euryale permanently, Medusa was mortal. Thus the great hero Perseus was sent by King Polydectes of Seriphos and his patron goddess, Athena, to stop Medusa's rampage. For this task he was provided by Athena and Hermes with winged sandals, Hades' cap of invisibility, a sword, and a mirrored shield. The hero invisibly sneaked up to Medusa and severed her head from her neck from which two offspring sprang forth: the winged horse Pegasus and the golden giant Chrysaor. From that day onwards the head of Medusa became a symbol of Athena's might and in the future it would adorn the shields of the soldiers of Athens.

After her death Medusa's soul was imprisoned in the Greek hell, Tartaros, where she connected with the Titans and joined their army - for the Titans were planning to overthrow the Greek gods, the Olympians. Thus the Gorgon sisters turned into elite soldiers of the Titanic army. Prior to the Titans' escape from Tartaros and assault on Mount Olympus at some point after 490 BC the Gorgons where sent to the mortal world as a vanguard. Hiding in the Pythian Caves the Gorgons raised an elite force of minor Gorgons to prepare for the planned invasion of Mount Olympus. Two setbacks were the defeat of Medusa and Euryale by the Greek hero Kratos, however Stheno continued gathering an army and the sisters re-joined after escaping Tartaros alongside the Titans. However, the Gorgon army of the Pythian Caves was slaughtered by the so-called 'Hero of Helos' who slew Medusa and even the immortal Euryale as well. Only Stheno managed to escape the hero's wrath but she soon followed her sisters to the underworld after being killed by Kratos. With the defeat of the Titans by the Olympians the fate of the Gorgon sisters was sealed.

However, not all Gorgon offspring were killed by the Hero of Helos. Some managed to survive until 1910 when the last of the Gorgons, Megaera (not to be confused by the fury of the same name), was killed in the rural German village of Vandorf. But Medusa herself would not stay dead. During another attempted uprising of the Titans in the early 21st century Medusa was freed from Tartaros one last time and hid in the United States under the moniker of "Aunty Em". But history would repeat itself: the demigod Perseus "Percy" Jackson, son of Poseidon, battled Medusa and killed her once and for all. But death cannot stop the tales of a creature so ghastly that it terrorized the people of Greece for centuries. From her transformation to modern times stories of Medusa, and, for that matter, of the other Gorgon sister, too, made generations tremble with fear of the unforgiving gaze that turned hundreds into stone.

Spoiler :

* The myth of Perseus - Medusa, the Gorgon sisters, Perseus, Pegasus, Chrysaor, Polydectes
* Theogony - Phorcys, Ceto, Phorcydes, the Graeae, Ladon, Echidna
* Kull of Atlantis - Thurian Age
* Metamorphoses - Medusa as a priestess, Medusa's transformation
* Titan Quest - Titans escape from Tartaros, Gorgons in the Pythian Caves, Hero of Helos
* God of War - Kratos, Titans attacking Mount Olympus
* The Gorgon - Megaera
* Percy Jackson & the Olympians - Percy Jackson, modern Medusa

It looks like we have our work cut out for us, then. Hopefully, there'll be a ton of new pedias that I can add to the timeline when I get back home in August. I'm leaving on Wednesday, so if anyone has any suggestions/comments on the timeline so far, please post them by Monday- I'll have time to go online on Tuesday, but I doubt I'll have any time for it before my train leaves the following day.

Again, I'm sorry that I never got around to writing any more pedias.

Well, I'll see you guys in a few months! :wavey:

EDIT: Well, I wasn't going to write another pedia before I left, but a truly, marvelously insane idea came to me a little while after writing this post, so I have to get it written before I lose interest. I thus give you the pedia for the Houyhnhms! Note that this may very well be the most bat**** insane pedia thus far, as far as the crossovers are concerned.

Spoiler :

Houyhnhms

The story of the Houyhnhms can be traced back to, of all places, the peculiar, little-documented dimension known only as the Radical Land. Said dimension once was home to an evil unicorn by the name of Sparklelord. The unicorn briefly visited Earth during the First Century CE, where he mated with a mare, producing a foal gifted with immortality, humanlike intelligence, and the ability to speak the tongues of man. This horse was named Incitatus, and would eventually come into the possession of Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus- more commonly known as Caligula.

Caligula soon learned of his steed's ability to speak, and the horse became his most trusted adviser and confidant. The other Roman politicians were unaware of Incitatus' talents, and just assumed that the Emperor was mad. Caligula's appointment of the horse to the position of consul was deemed to be the last straw by the Senate and nobility, and they began plotting against the Emperor. Incitatus knew that he too would be butchered in due time and, deciding that he could not coexist with humanity, captured several dozen mares and snuck aboard a ship leaving Italy for Spain.

The ship (which was sailing along with another Roman transport) was caught in a storm, where it briefly caught sight of a mysterious Island with a statue of the Egyptian goddess Tawaret before being blown completely off course (the other ship crashed on the Island, never to be seen or heard from again). Due to the Island's strange effect on space-time, Incitatus' vessel, after the storm concluded, ended up transported into the South Pacific. Incitatus and his mares took over the ship and made land.

On this new island, Incitatus's descendants would inherit their father's speech and intellect, taking the name 'Houyhnhm' for themselves. The ship's human occupants devolved into primitive 'Yahoos'. This society lasted for several centuries, with Lemuel Gulliver's arrival in the early 18th Century as its only contact with the outside world.

This peace was finally broken in the early 2oth Century, when the mad German scientist Dr Totenkopf arrived on the island and deemed it to be the perfect base for his 'World of Tomorrow' project- a plan to destroy all life on Earth and begin it anew on another planet. Totenkopf brought with him dinosaurs that he had captured in the South American 'Lost World', and these creatures destroyed the ecosystem that the Houyhnhms had grown to depend on.

The few surviving Houyhnhms fled to all corners of the globe, where they faded into the general horse population. A few notable Houyhnhm survivors included the actor and Toon Horace Horsecollar and a few of the key players in the Manor Farm rebellion of the 1940s.

But perhaps Incitatus himself has the most interesting life after the fall of his civilization. He made his way to America after Totenkopf's arrival and befriended the architect Wilbur Post, living with him comfortably for five years in the 1960s under the name of Mister Ed. But Ed began to tire of this life, and, after Post passed away, began to become a cynical misanthrope. Turning to a life of crime, Incitatus would eventually found the Evil League of Evil under the name Bad Horse.

Sources:
Houyhnhms, Yahoos, Gulliver- Gulliver's Travels
Radical Land, Sparklelord- The Adventures of Dr McNinja
Caligula, Incitatus- historical accounts
Mysterious Island, Roman shipwreck- Lost
Totenkopf, World of Tomorrow, dinosaurs- Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
South American 'Lost World'- The Lost World
Horace Horsecollar- old Mickey Mouse cartoons
Manor Farm rebellion- Animal Farm
Mister Ed, Wilbur Post- Mister Ed
Evil League of Evil, Bad Horse- Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog

Feel free to edit this entry if necessary over the summer!

...well that was certainly something. A tangled tapestry woven for sure.

Well, my night's work is done - Jack Ryan! He's pretty straightforward, being Ryanverse with a few splashes of West Wing and other little sources.

Spoiler :
JOHN PATRICK RYAN SR. (May 17th, 1950 – July 13th, 2042)
42nd President of the United States

John Patrick Ryan Sr. – better known as "Jack" – is among the most important figures of the late 20th Century, acting as head of the United States during one of its most turbulent periods. Born in 1950 to Emmet and Catherine Ryan in Towson, Maryland, Ryan was a raised Catholic, and instilled from youth with great respect for his country by his father, a WWII veteran. Ryan attended Boston College, and after graduation, joined the United States Marine Corps.

Unfortunately, Ryan's military career was cut short in 1973, when his platoon’s military helicopter crashed during NATO exercises over Crete. With his back badly injured, Ryan entered into a long, slow recovery process, during which he nearly became addicted to painkillers, and entered into civilian life as a stockbroker. Only 19 months later, Ryan's parents were killed in a plane crash at Chicago's Midway Airport, giving him a fear of flying that would persist throughout his life. As a stockbroker, Ryan began to invest his money wisely, gaining over $6 million. Catching the attention of Joe Muller, the senior Vice President of the firm that employed him, Ryan was invited to the company headquarters. There he met Caroline Muller, daughter of the Vice President; the two quickly fell in love and became engaged.

A medical student, Caroline was able to introduce Ryan to neurosurgeon Stanley Rabinowitz, who was able to repair his chronic back pains. After a series of smart investments, Ryan obtained a new worth of over $8 million and retired from his position as stockbroker; shortly after, he returned to the military, becoming a professor of history at the US Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland. During this period, Ryan began his first work with the Central Intelligence Agency, as an outside consultant. Again, he quickly caught the eye of his superiors, and was offered a permanent position in the CIA; however, he declined.

Ryan's life was radically changed in 1981, when on a trip to London, he and his family, including young daughter Sally, were caught in the crossfire as the ULA (Ulster Liberation Army), an ultra-violent offshoot of the IRA, attempted to kill the Prince of Wales. Leaping into action, Ryan was able to protect the prince and foil the attack, capturing Sean Miller, who would, in turn, vow revenge on the Ryan family. After returning to the US, Ryan was yet again offered a position in the CIA – while he initially declined, an attack on his family by the ULA, now under Miller's command, convinces him to accept. Another attack, this time on Ryan and the Prince of Wales yet again, resulted in Miller's capture, and shortly after, this tumultuous period came to a close with the birth of John Ryan Jr.

As a CIA agent, Ryan quickly rose through the ranks to become Deputy Director of Central Intelligence. During his career, lasting over a decade, Ryan aided in the defection of "Rabbit," a major KGB agent, was heavily involved in the Red October Affair, and helped defeat the “clear and present danger” of the Medellín Drug Cartel. However, his most important role was in the Denver Super Bowl Bombing. In 1991, based on Ryan's own plans, Israel ceded partial control of Jerusalem to the Vatican and Saudi Arabia, allowing the city to become a UN protectorate. A group of Muslim terrorists, however, were displeased; to protest the continuing US support of Israel, they detonated a nuclear bomb in Denver, Colorado, during the 1991 Super Bowl. While only a partial detonation, the attack nearly sparked a war between the United States and Soviet Union, and prompted President J. Robert Fowler to aim a nuclear weapon at the Iranian Ayatollah Mahmoud Daryaei. Ryan's quick thinking was able to diffuse the tension and protect the Ayatollah's life; however, his failure to handle the crisis led to Fowler's resignation as President and prompts Ryan to retire from the CIA.

However, his retirement was short lived. A minor crisis resulted in a war between the United States and Japan at the start of 1992. After invading the Marianas Islands and launching torpedoes at two US aircraft carriers and two submarines, Japan attempted to sabotage the American economy to distract from the war; however, the economy was quickly restored and the Marianas Islands retaken, leading to Japan' capitulation. Simultaneously, Roger Durling – Fowler's Vice President, and the current President – faced a sex scandal, as his Vice President, Edward Kealty, faced accusations of rape. Kealty was forced to resign, and Fowler tapped Ryan as a replacement. Ryan agreed, believing it to be his final retirement from government work – he could not have been further from the truth.

Almost immediately after being confirmed as Vice President, a Japanese pilot (avenging the deaths of his brother and son in the Pacific conflict), flew his Boeing 747 directly into the US Capital Building. The President, First Lady, most of the Congress and Presidential Cabinet, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and the entire Supreme Court was killed, effectively destroying the United States Government. Having narrowly escaped the attack, Ryan was quickly sworn in as President and began his term.

The first, and most important, crisis of the Ryan Administration was the rising threat in the Middle East. After the assassination of Iraqi President Saddam Hussein, Ayatollah Daryaei led and unopposed invasion of Iraq and, combined with his own Iran, formed the United Islamic Republic. With backing by China and India, The UIR staged a serious of terrorist attacks on US soil, including the use of biological warfare via a new airborne Ebola strain, in an attempt to cripple the country and remove it from power in the Middle East. Without the US to intervene, the UIR invaded Saudi Arabia and Kuwait in an attempt to further expand their power. However, Ryan's choice to heavily regulate travel leads to the failure of the Ebola attack, and US soldiers were sent to protect their interests, quickly defeating the UIR in the Second Persian Gulf War. After a failed assassination attempt by Daryaei, Ryan orders an assassination on the Ayatollah, effectively destroying the UIR. In the aftermath, a number of splinter nations were formed, such as a re-established Iraq, the Sunni nation of Qumar, and the Sacred Republic of Munma.

This order becomes the first and only invocation of the Ryan Doctrine. Due to the terrorist and biological attacks on the country, Ryan announced to the world that America would not tolerate any attacks on its territory, possessions, or citizens, and anyone who orders such attacks will be held accountable. This superseded the executive order put in place by President Gerald Ford, forbidding the assassination of foreign heads of state; however, Ryan believed it a more ethical choice than war, as it punishes individuals instead of peoples on the whole.

Despite other problems plaguing his Presidency, such as challenges to his legitimacy and anarchist assassination attempts, Ryan proved overwhelmingly popular; though elections were suspended in 1992, due to the governmental crisis, in 1994, Ryan was re-elected, with close friend Robert Jackson serving as his Vice President. After a relatively calm period of rebuilding, Ryan faced his next crisis in the Sino-Russian War. In 1996, Russia discovered large oil and gold deposits in Siberia, leading it on a possible road to economic recovery for the ex-Soviet nation; however, China – long since planning to invade the region – did so soon after. Ryan, dealing with the attempted assassination of Russian President Golovko, attempted to aid the ailing nation against China. After failed ICBM launches, China surrendered, turning the formed Cold War rivals of the United States and Russia into close allies via the CoDominium.

Shortly after, at the start of 1997, Ryan chose to resign as President, believing his work in politics to be done. Robert Jackson became the first non-white President, and Ryan, yet again, stepped down from public life. Unfortunately, as the 1998 election approached and Jackson began to campaign for his second term, he was assassinated by a Ku Klux Klansman only a month before the election. Jackson was succeeded by his appointed Vice President, John Blutarsky, near the start of the year. Blutarsky, however, was caught in office with a young girl, and attempted to deflect attention from the crisis by staging a fake war with Albania. Eventually, however, the scandal did break, and the President faced impeachment due to perjury in reference to the affair; with little support, he refused to run for a second term. Instead, Democratic Party nominee Jed Bartlet was elected as the 45th President of the United States, and the country began a slow return to normalcy.

Ryan lived for many years after his Presidency, however, he never returned to public office. He remained fondly remembered by the American public, and his policies continued long past his term, through "The Campus," a counter-terrorist organization founded by his administration. Eventually, Jack Ryan Jr. became an analyst for The Campus, following in his father's footsteps in a government position. With a net worth of over $80 million, Ryan remained retired on the whole – despite propositions from organizations such as the Jacks of All Trades. However, he did write two memoirs – one published during his life, and another, detailing his work with the CIA, posthumously. With the rise of the theocratic Republic of Gilead, Ryan chose to remain in Washington FDC, loyal to the United States to the end. He died peacefully in 2042, mourned as a true American hero.

Sources:
Spoiler :
* Ryanverse – Jack Ryan, Youth
* Patriot Games – ULA, attack on family, saving the Prince of Wales
* Red Rabbit – Aid in defection of Rabbit
* The Hunt for Red October – Red October Affair
* Clear and Present Danger – Role in Toppling Medellín Drug Cartel
* The Sum of All Fears – Denver Bombing, Ayatollah Daryaei, Fowler Resignation
* Debt of Honor – US-Japan War, Kealty Scandal, Ryan as Vice President, Japanese Attack on Capital Building
* Executive Orders – United Islamic Republic, Second Persian Gulf War, Ebola Attacks, Ryan Doctrine, Legitimacy/Anarchist Crises
* The West Wing – Qumar, Jed Bartlet
* Appleseed – Sacred Republic of Munma
* The Bear and the Dragon – Ryan's Second Term, Sino-Russian War
* CoDominium
* The Teeth of the Tiger – Resignation, Jackson's Presidency, The Campus, Jack Ryan Jr.
* National Lampoon's Animal House – John Blutarsky as President
* Wag the Dog – Fake War with Albania
* The Graveyard Book – Jacks of All Trades
* The Haidmaid’s Tale – Republic of Gilead
* Shadowrun – Washington FDC
A few things...

Date of death is 100 years after Harrison Ford's birthday, since the leaderhead is based on Ford and... well, it seems unlikely that someone during that period would be missing anr exact date of death around.

The Sacred Republic of Munma is from the Appleseed manga, which I've never read, but evidently takes place in the 22nd Century after World War Three. It's about this robot utopia or something; nothing major, but it includes the growth of major organizations such as, well, Munma. So, I established it as a minor offshoot nation a century beforehand.

Jacks of All Trades is from The Graveyard Book. It's an organization of a bunch of mysterious people named Jack. Considering I'll rarely resist the temptation to add more Neil Gaiman, and he IS named Jack...

And, finally, I had to fudge the Ryanverse timeline. The major shift is right after The Sum of All Fears. While in the official timeline, Ryan retired until 1995, upon which there was a war with Japan, and all that. For reasons I'll go into before long, that didn't work, so I moved everything after this point up four years.

Debt of Honor (the war with Japan and Ryan as President) is moved from 1995-1996 to 1991-1992. Executive Orders (the entire United Islamic Republic thing) is moved up to 1992. and the Sino-Russian War, instead of taking place in 2000, is moved up to 1996. With the last one, though, the Pedia already puts it shortly after 1995, so... umm... thanks for thinking ahead? :lol:

Now, this was to establish one thing - PRESIDENTS! When checking on the label for Jack, I realized our entire numbering system is off... so, I took the liberty of organizing things.

ELECTION 1968
#36 RICHARD NIXON ~ 1968 – 1972 (From Real Life)
ELECTION 1972
#36 RICHARD NIXON ~ 1972 – 1974 (Resigned; from Real Life)
#37 GERALD FORD ~ 1974 – 1976 (From Real Life)
ELECTION 1976
#38 D. WIRE NEWMAN ~ 1976 – 1980 (Analogue to Jimmy Carter; from The West Wing)
ELECTION 1980
#39 OWEN LASSITER ~ 1980 – 1984 (Analogue to Ronald Reagan; from The West Wing)
ELECTION 1984
#39 OWEN LASSITER ~ 1984 – 1988 (Analogue to Ronald Reagan; from The West Wing)
ELECTION 1988
#40 J. ROBERT FOWLER ~ 1988 – 1991 (Resigned; from Ryanverse)
#41 ROGER DURLING ~ 1991 – 1992 (Killed in Japanese Attack; from Ryanverse)
#42 JACK RYAN ~ 1992 – 1994 (From Ryanverse)
ELECTION 1994
#42 JACK RYAN ~ 1994 – 1997 (Resigned; from Ryanverse)
#43 ROBERT JACKSON ~ 1997 (Assassinated; from Ryanverse)
#44 JOHN BLUTARSKY~ 1997 – 1998 (From Animal House)
ELECTION 1998
#45 JED BARTLET ~ 1998 – 2002 (From The West Wing)
ELECTION 2002
#45 JED BARTLET ~ 2002 – 2006 (From The West Wing)
ELECTION 2006
#46 MATTHEW SANTOS ~ 2006 – 2012 (Analogue to Barack Obama; from The West Wing)
ELECTION 2012
#47 NEHEMIAH SCUDDER ~ 2012 – N/A (Analogue to Mike Huckabee; from If This Goes On—)

In addition, this DOESN'T count Lindbergh as a "real" President. If so, we'd bump everyone up by one number. And, of course, this is just from the Ryanverse and The West Wing (and the real world... and Scudder); any other show or book or what have you can fit in on its own time. Or something.

So, yeah, hopefully this all checks out. Tried to reconcile things as best as possible.

Top Bottom