Discussion: Units

Sorry for the delayed response, but this is all fine.

My only note is that the unique names are all optional. I didn't really think the Thunderbird unit could use unique names, but this is just fine.

I'm in the middle of writing the XML for the LUs so I'll be sure to add these stats to the Thunderbird, with adjustments as needed.

Glad you like it. :)

Name: Centaur
Civ: Greece
Combat: Mounted Unit
Prereqs: Archery, Polytheism
Cost: 65
Moves: 2
Strength: 7
Number allowed: 7
Free Promotions: Blitz, Mobility
Ability: Immune to first strike, Doesn't receive defensive bonuses, +50% vs. Catapult, 30% withdrawal chance
Unique Names: Chiron, Nessus, Pholus, Asbolus, Firenze, Magorian, Eurytion, Hylonome, Cyllarus, Lykias, Amycus, Dictys, Perimedes, Eurytion

Name:SMERSH Agent
Civ:Russia
Combat:Espionage
Prereqs:Communism and Security Bureau
Cost:150
Moves:2
Strength:17
# Allowed:8
Free Promotions:Commando and a Spy-seeing promotion.
Ability: Doesn't receive defensive bonuses,10% Withdrawal Chance and can be a spy,however,when spotted,they are seen and can fight.
Unique Names:Le Chiffre,"Adolph Gettler",Mr. Big,Auric Goldfinger,Rosa Klebb,Donovan Grant,Grubozaboyshikov,Tov Kronsteen,Niktin,Slavin, Vozdvishensky,Sergei Borzov,Anya Amasova,Kolya Mosolov and Konstantin Nikolaevich Chernov

I don't think, there's any difference, if the model doesn't use the new shader technology, which is used for example in the colonization water.
Deliverator has created some spanish conquistadores style unit, which were originally for colonization, and as far as a i know, they work perfect in civ.

I'm stuck.

I'm set on the Gladiator as Rome's LU, but I can't figure out what he can do. I originally wanted a unit that could gain experience when fortified in a city with a colosseum, but apparently that's too complex for python to handle.

Any other ideas?

Hm, guess I haven't played FfH in awhile. Arena ability?

Oh, and here's a write up for the Knights of the Round Table

Name: Knight of the Round Table
Civ: England
Combat: Mounted
Prereqs: Guilds, Horseback Riding, Horses, Iron
Cost:110
Combat:10
# Allowed: 8
Free Promotions: Combat1, Celebrity2
Abilities: Immune to First Strikes, No Defense Bonus, can start a Golden Age
Unique Names: Lancelot, Galahad, Gawain, Percival, Bedevere, Ector, Bors, Ywain, Robin, Pelleas, Tristan

Name:Gundam
Civ:Japan
Combat:Assault Mech
Prereqs:All the requirements for Assault mechs
Cost:Assault mech's cost +50
Moves:4
Combat:75
# Allowed:5
Free Promotions:Combat 1+2,Celebrity 1 and Naniods?
Abilities: Immune to First Strikes, No Defense Bonus, can start a Golden Age
Unique Names:XXXG-01W Wing Gundam,XXXG-01D Gundam Deathscythe,XXXG-01H Gundam Heavyarms,XXXG-01SR Gundam Sandrock,XXXG-01S Shenlong Gundam,Gundam X,Gundam Leopard,Gundam Airmaster and WD-M01 Turn A Gundam

Name:Valkyrie
Civ:Scandinavia
Combat:Melee
Prereqs:Feudalism and Sailing
Cost:150
Moves:4(They are able to fly)
Combat:12
# Allowed:5
Free Promotions:Combat 1+2 and Flying?
Abilities: Immune to First Strikes,Can fly, can start a Golden Age
Unique Names:Skuld,Skögul,Geirskögul,Gunnr,Hildr,Göndul,Hrist,Mist,Skeggjöld,Þrúðr,Hlökk,Herfjötur,Göll,Geirahöð, Randgríð,Ráðgríð and Reginleif
Graphics:possibly either the FFH graphics or the new Valkyrei in the database.

Barbarian Hero Idea!(to go perfectly with your KOTRT)

Name:Killer Rabbit
Combat:Melee
Prereqs: Killer Rabbit event
Combat:15
Free Promotion:Combat1
Ability:Immune to First Strikes

Question: Since Gozer is listed as the Sumerian Superhero, will he be appearing in his Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man Destructor Form for this mod? I really want to see Superman get punched out by a giant marshmallow.

As do I!

Gozer could have a special ability that uses the giant marshmallow man. I originally wanted to propose this for Jekyll and Hyde but it would fit Gozer, too: While beinga powerful in combat himself, Gozer has the unique ability to transform into the much stronger Stay Puft marshmallow man. The downside is that you loose control over him and he becomes a barbarian unit. I guess this would create many interesting tactical possibilities. Plus, imagine the look on your enemy's face when suddenly a giant marshmallow appears in front of his city gates. :D

Gozer could have a special ability that uses the giant marshmallow man. I originally wanted to propose this for Jekyll and Hyde but it would fit Gozer, too: While beinga powerful in combat himself, Gozer has the unique ability to transform into the much stronger Stay Puft marshmallow man. The downside is that you loose control over him and he becomes a barbarian unit. I guess this would create many interesting tactical possibilities. Plus, imagine the look on your enemy's face when suddenly a giant marshmallow appears in front of his city gates. :D

I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something that I loved from my childhood. Something that would never ever possibly destroy us. Mr. Stay-Puft.- Ray Stantz

EDIT: Some hero ideas I came up with last night!

Jenny Everywhere
Era: Modern
Abilities: A Great Person jack-of-all-trades. Can build Great Work, hurry Production, build Military Academy, go on Trade Missions, construct Holy Shrines, Academies, Diogenes Club, or start a Golden Age. Due to her inter-dimensional nature, all civilizations can train her once- in essence, she's a National Hero.

Atomic Robo
Abilities: Powerful military unit. Increases Science in any city he is stationed in.

Metal Gear REX
Era: Future
Abilities: Extremely powerful military unit. Can fire one free Tactical Nuke every five turns.

Buffy Summers
Abilities: No idea, honestly. I've never really seen the show. But I figured she'd be a good addition to the mod, what with her being a minor cultural icon and all.

I'm working on the LU's, and I decided to add three new unit classes, taking a cue from Fall From Heaven. The classes are Animal, Beast and Hero (Beast).

Animals are just what they say they are on the can, Beasts are more exotic animals roaming the map, and Beast Heroes include world units like Dragons, King Kong and the Big Bad Wolf, as well as beast animals that can be built by civs like certain Alliance and Legendary Units.

At the moment, there are only four animals (Lion, Wolf, Panther, Bear) and three beasts (Roc, Mares of the Diomedes, Zombie). I was thinking that I could add some more units to both of these categories to make early game (and late game in some cases) barbarian fighting much more interesting. New Animals could be real-world creatures that feature prominently in fables and such, Beasts could be creatures from various myths, etc.

Any ideas?

Oh, and I'm having trouble figuring out what in hell the Supay will do. Other than that, the LU's are coming along fine.

New Animals:

Tigers
Elephants
Snakes
Shark

New Heroic Beasts:

the Kraken
Cerberus
Various Kaiju from Japanese films(Gamera,Mothra,Rodan,Anguirus...)
Legendary Pokemon(Dialga,Darkrai,Mewtwo..)

I see the Beasts and Beats heroes as a great source for references to cultures that don't appear in any other form in the mod. E.g. the Rainbow serpent from Aborigine mythology would be a great Beast hero and you might wanna check out Filipino mythology as there are lots of great mythical creatures like the Bungisngis, Aswang and Manananggal.

Some more ideas for beasts:
Ghoul, Ya-te-veo (or any other man-eating plant), Giant (the norse type), Phoenix, Werewolf

Beast heroes:
Bigfoot, Yheti, Nessie, The Flying Dutchman, The Black Pearl, the Grim Reaper, Tiamat, Grendel

Just a quick question: Do beast heroes only spawn once? If so, I would use Dragons as a strong beast unit instead of a unique beast hero. Or how about a higher limit of spawn times depending on the creature (e.g. after Medusa is killed there still might appear the same event but with one of her sisters Stheno and Euryale)?

BTW, Dumanios, nice idea regarding legendary pokemon!

Top Bottom