Disputed Islands Situation

Japan and China both see itself as the rightfully leader of Asia, while the United States sees its role as the rightful protecter and leader of Asia.

China calling for the United States to pay off its debt it owns China which would bankrupt the U.S or risk millions of lives fighting them?

What would happen?

Japan holds all of US's debts...so China would get sunk

Anyone see World War potential in a China vs. Japan shooting war?

Anyone see World War potential in a China vs. Japan shooting war?

Not really. I don't see anything that would have China backing themselves into a corner where they feel they really need to kick off a war. China is where the issue is being pushed. All they have to do to reduce the tension is to back off. The gain of grabing the islands is not that great. The loss of not doing so is not that important to who China thinks they are. I mean, if they can live for 50 years without attacking Taiwan, they can live without these islands. And certainly no other nation is going to start a war over them.

What I think is going on is that China is using this as a distraction for their domestic consumption, and also to see just how far they can push their neighbors short of war. More of testing the waters than any actual imperialistic adventure.

Not really. I don't see anything that would have China backing themselves into a corner where they feel they really need to kick off a war. China is where the issue is being pushed. All they have to do to reduce the tension is to back off. The gain of grabing the islands is not that great. The loss of not doing so is not that important to who China thinks they are. I mean, if they can live for 50 years without attacking Taiwan, they can live without these islands. And certainly no other nation is going to start a war over them.

What I think is going on is that China is using this as a distraction for their domestic consumption, and also to see just how far they can push their neighbors short of war. More of testing the waters than any actual imperialistic adventure.
Maybe, but the nationalist sentiments (from both sides) are worrying
I would not be surprised if some sort of skirmish broke out in the not-too-distant future

You need to remember that the people in power aren't really the nationalists everyone's talking about. If any country is governed by unpassionate, calculating bureaucrats it's China, the nationalism is only prevalent among the normal population, which we all know doesn't have much of a say in Chinese politics. So the leadership will play to their nationalism if it benefits them, but that doesn't mean that it will fall for its folly.

Japan and China both see itself as the rightfully leader of Asia, while the United States sees its role as the rightful protecter and leader of Asia.

My Question is this:

If China sends a large fleet to the islands and Japan does the same and a war can be seen over the horizon would the United States come to Japan's aid and risk China calling for the United States to pay off its debt it owns China which would bankrupt the U.S or risk millions of lives fighting them?

What would happen?

If Obama is that stupid I am going to have a heart attack.

If China were to actually call for the US to pay its debt I'd propose simply defaulting on it rather than actually fighting them. It would suck for the dollar but at least millions of people wouldn't die. Better yet, start paying the dang thing so my children aren't saddled with it as well. That's right, pay off every red cent.

We should not be in debt to any country, anywhere, for any reason.

However, the US should not help Japan in any case. In fact, we should get out now and stop prohibiting them from buildingtheir own army. Then let Japan and China do what they want. It isn't worth one red drop of American blood.

Why shouldn't we help Japan if they come under Chinese attack, Dommy? They are a major American ally.

How many times do I have to say this? CHINA CANNOT CALL US GOVERNMENT DEBT. No matter what China wants the US has no reason to give them a solitary dime until the debt matures. If owners of the debt want to get cash they will just sell it on the open market to the vast number of people, companies, investment funds, and governments that want to hold US debt. And that would result in a slight rise in interest rates on US debt.

How many times do I have to say this? CHINA CANNOT CALL US GOVERNMENT DEBT. No matter what China wants the US has no reason to give them a solitary dime until the debt matures. If owners of the debt want to get cash they will just sell it on the open market to the vast number of people, companies, investment funds, and governments that want to hold US debt. And that would result in a slight rise in interest rates on US debt.

Exactly. Except that if China needs to dump US debt in a hurry, then they'll pay a hefty price in decreased market value as the flood the market short term. And so they'll lose a lot of money without really bothering the US at all.

Top Bottom