DMI VI - The Mearas

how feasible is it to get out 2 settlers in the next 15-20 turns? we could claim both spots, and, with the 4 cities, focus on infra and building up our cities in the near-term.

also, the real crime would be not to use our Immortals -- i think we let Vicky see if she can handle them. We would probably be able to take her out w/a fair-sized stack :mischief:

how feasible is it to get out 2 settlers in the next 15-20 turns? we could claim both spots, and, with the 4 cities, focus on infra and building up our cities in the near-term.

also, the real crime would be not to use our Immortals -- i think we let Vicky see if she can handle them. We would probably be able to take her out w/a fair-sized stack :mischief:

With our production, getting two settlers quickly is peace of cake. But why immortals rather than horse archers? :)

immortals are cheaper, and get teh bonus v archers which we're sure to face. rax/stable-promoted immortals are super nice. 1 group w/Com II and one w/Flanking II. I played a game a few weeks ago where i was able to knock out 2 civs with them before defenses and spears made it too costly.

I like the idea of an Immortal rush. More so than Pyramids, we're financial, Monarchy's a cheap tech and HR will be fine until US. And roleplaying that Victoria's really an orc queen shouldn't be all that difficult :)

But I'm not familiar with permanent alliances. If taking out Vicky early would jeopardize getting one maybe it's not such a good idea.

roleplaying that Victoria's really an orc queen shouldn't be all that difficult .

Forget any deep tactical analysis as far as I am concerned Victoria the Uruk-Hai is an absolute deal clincher that we have to rush her.

Ideas this good have to be acted upon or the storytelling gods will have revenge upon us.

:goodjob:

Ralph

One reason I said it hurts to get HBR from the hut is that immortals are so much more Rohirim than Horse Archers. Horse Archers seem more like elf troops.

As far as I can tell, my job in this turnset (which I am about to begin) will be fairly easy: I just need to settle two more cities, hook up stone, build the pyramids and prepare an immortal army to rush Victoria, the Uruk-Hai Queen. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I like the idea of putting our immortals to good use, I am just not so sure if we will be able to keep many cities, and this war this early only makes sense if we finish her.

Pink dot gets a forested tundra tile, which myself and others learned to "love" during PH08. So much so that I suggest placing the city one tile east, PLEASE!

But next city should be blue dot, and I intend to settle it during my turnset. But it will be either start pyramids and build another settler or build a Immortal army. I say we build immortals, if only just for the sake of the story.

You will have about an hour or so for more imput.

@Lucky:

I see no point in tending Vicky to be our ally. We do not want to share that continent with our PA partner, we want that continent alone. Granted it will be more difficult to get a PA with an overseaes AI as the relations cannot grow for that long a time. But with correct and careful play we'll manage it. There are enough modifiers in the diplo game to bring us to Friendly. Therefore I say:

Arise,arise, Riders of Theoden!
Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter!
spear shall be shaken, shield be splintered,
a sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!
Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

Pink dot gets a forested tundra tile, which myself and others learned to "love" during PH08.
:lol: course, it's been the first PH win since 05, so . . .

with immortals, i think we raze everything save London, no? Maintenence will kill us at first, but we'll just need to improve and fogbust the island ASAP. We could stick any leftover Immortals on fog-duty ~

“Arise now, arise, Riders of Théoden!
Dire deeds awake, dark is it eastward.
Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!
Forth Eorlingas!”
(extracted from “The Two Towers”)

The first group of Rohirim was given to the lead of Éomer son of Éomund, and his first mission was to hunt the beasts that were frightening the villagers next to Edoras. A second group was later assigned to Gamling the Old, and went south, to support the scouting party there.

The Rohirim soon found battle, protecting the mearas…

And hunting beasts in the forests.

As their tales reached the villages, more and more young lads dreamt to one day join the Eorlingas.

But dark omens reached the land of Rohan when a ship carring Victoria`s flag approached the coast near Helm’s Deep. Rumors were heard that strange human-like creatures were seen in the English ship…

Sad news reached Edoras when Gamling sent word that he was too late to avoid the tragic death of our scouts in the south…

Lord MaCauley says Rohan’s wealth is hopeless.

But the king says “Rohan do not measure wealth by the amount of gold we have in our coffers. We measure wealth by the honor of our people, the loyalty of our horses, the truth of our words. And therefore I say there is no land in this world that is wealthier than Rohan”.

Exploring next to England, Éomer found a group of savages that seemed human. As soon as the savages saw the riders, they immediately began hostile actions. After finishing them, Éomer found out that these were orcs in disguise. But a different kind of orcs, never before seen or heard of.

“I knew there were something wrong with that queen Victoria... just look at her face…” said Théoden when he heard the news. “This must be the work of Saruman, this queen and her followers must be some kind of evil creature. Send Éomer to explore her lands”.

Then the King managed to sign an agreement with queen Victoria to let the people of Rohan travel through her lands.

Éomer found more of the disguised orcs in the cities, but these were behaving more civilized. But his man managed to hear ominous whispers about the return of Sauron and an upcoming war.

“We found proof that orcs habit the lands called England, and that Saruman is behind their breed. We must prepare for war.” said Éomer’s messenger to the king.

Far the shouting of the King was heard:

“Arise now, arise, Riders of Théoden!
Dire deeds awake, dark is it eastward.
Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!
Forth Eorlingas!”

I am not sure why, but I could not find the autolog for the turnset, although I do have BUG installed. Anyway, first thing to notice is the amazing production we have in Edoras:

Immortals in 2-3 turns. Great. I trained 2 of them before building the barracks, then a settler, whipped for 2 pop, overflow to a workboat to help recover from whipping, another immortal then stable (couldn’t resist since we can build it – although maybe we don’t really need it). At a certain point I changed to immortals in Edoras and in HD because a barb archer that appeared north of Edoras and could cause trouble. But now Éomer is there watching (barb still somewhere in the fog).

Immortals are indeed very strong against archers:

I will try to remember research: after masonry finished, mysticism for border pop (built monument in HD), pottery since we will want it and it gets a discount for writing, writing to spy England and for a library in Edoras when we can. Then I went for Archery (only 3 turns), so now we can train horse archers if we want. Research set to Alphabet, I put just one turn, next one I set 0% research for flexibility and possibly wait for the library.

Next to the end of my turnset I founded our third city, Aldburg:

Sorry if I forgot something important. Save is attached. Have fun!

I did forget something important: We need workers!! I usually build lots of them in my SGs, but this turnset I felt the one we had was just enough (cities so close help) and we had other priorities. But with Aldburg founded, we should add another one or two soon.

We should get onto Vicky the dread Queen ASAP. Now she only has Archers, we should attack before she connects horses of her own...keep London, raze everything else ! Other than that, great turns, Lucky ! And i like your storytelling :goodjob: !

The Roster:

Imhotep >> built the map
Meiz >> started the ride
Ralph "RJ" Jackson >> built Helm's Deep with the hands of giants
Lucky >> JUST PLAYED
njorls >> UP NOW for 20
Winth >> ON DECK for 20 and his first SG turns ever

pholkhero >> oversubscribed but always playing

Yeah, I had the same feeling that I should have built more troops and attack sooner when I saw the lone archers and the cottage over the horses. We could clearly have skipped the barracks and the stable. But we are probably good to declare in 10 turns or so.

·Imhotep·;6176683 said:
And i like your storytelling :goodjob: !

Thanks! It's a lot esier after rereading some pages written by Tokien... now, THAT is storytelling!

The Roster:

Imhotep >> built the map
Meiz >> started the ride
Ralph "RJ" Jackson >> built Helm's Deep with the hands of giants
Lucky >> JUST PLAYED
njorls >> SKIPPED
Winth >> UP NOW for 20 and his first SG turns ever
pholkhero >> ON DECK for 20

Theoden stood in the tallest tower of his fine palace. The citizens of Rohan were busy with their work. King soon left the tower and came back to the throne room. Hama, a man in a beautiful plate, looted from orcs, its origin from the distand lands of Elf, was silent and calm. Theoden gave a look at his throne room. He turned sight right to the eyes of a marbleclad, blind woman. The statue gazed at the wall. But Theoden thought for a minute that it was gazing at him. He sighed...
-Hama!
A man stopped writing and shuddered.
-Is something wrong?
-No! Ahh... lost count for money again.
-Sorry... report, then?
-Report... right. Well, we are done filling coffers with gold. We are delaying it from wise ones for a few days for awhile.
-We have enough now. Let them continue their contributing.
-About contributing... Edoras is growing bigger, my lord. Patricians were fussing about this city being boring. They are unhappy with so crowded place with serfs, where there is not much to enjoy. When new settlers will come after food stored in Edoras, they will make patricians meaner.
-Close Edoras for new settlers. Let the full granary serve our people well. If there is too much, let some of it go for festivals.
-Sure, my lord. And Eomer came back. He lacks many people - they are dead, probably - and needs food and shed.
-Give it to him. You are doing well.
-Thanks, my lord. - Hama smiled.

Next day, Theoden was again in a throne room.
-Hama, open the door.
Men opened the gate of the throne room. After a brief screech of old doors, an old, but still proud man went in. He was wearing fancy, colorful, silk suit. He was very well mannered, and courtly walked, though the appeal was a bit ruined when he started to sneeze.
-There - said Theoden. - So, I heard that the most important noble of all the patricians wants a talk. Do you have vital informations, or is it a matter of new settlers?
-The former, great lord - the man said. - I went back from a travel from distant lands. I watched myself as the slaves in this fine country were erecting a great achievement for their city. It is a great circle made of stone. It does not sound amazing, but... - he sneezed again, took a perfumed , and continued. - Excuses, lord... but it certainly looks awesome.
-Thanks. I hope the trip was good?
-Quite. - he said bitterly. - They have a winter down there.
-Oh? Interesting... - Theoden acted interest, and pulled a beard. - Want a breakfast?
-Sure! Thanks, lo...
The door creeked again.
-Hama? - both said at the same time.
-Yes. The governors report that Helm's Deep soon finishes another Rohirrim. They consider some help for our new city, so they are sending soon some serfs to improve their bitter lands.
-Good. Dismissed!

For now, I did all of the following:
-created two workers at Helm's Deep and Edoras;
-whipped monument at our new city;
-chopped a Horse Archer;
-started a Great Wall and completed it.

-My lord! - shouted Hama.
-Is everyone going as predicted?
-Yes, yes! The wall that you ordered to erect which would protect our proletarieurs...
-What's with your accent?
-Sorry. Catched a cold.
-Poorly. Continue.
-proletarians... we just lost some serfs to orcs.
-It's very poor. Make sure, Hama, that their beloved ones will be rewarded for their hours of cry. Dism...
-No! - Hama gasped. He felt bad now, it was not a good idea to interrupt a king. But Theoden was a kind, benevolent man.
-Anything else?
-Yes. The settlers of the Saruman's vassals, calling themselve "English", have corrupted another land.

OK, I admit I had lost a worker in a weedy move! :(

Now, the hour of the battle was upon them. Theoden called his vassals. They all came - the warriors of the Dunedain, mercenaries... native Rohirrims. All of them. When they achieved the throne room, all fell to hail the great king.
-After this battle, my warriors, it will be I who will have to beat to the floor in awe of you. Stand up, for the time for war is upon us!

Well, that's it. I hope I haven't screwed over these turns! :D

Save is below. And I will try to mess with those screens so they will show normally.

Nice story :) Victoria's blood will flow in the next turnset! :devil:

Some points.

Workers shouldn't be farming riversides when we can pasture horses. And speaking of workers, I only found one of them. We need more and quick!

We should research Priesthood before we miss Oracle. We should also build Pyramids soon as our happy cap is really low. Actually... we could safely build almost any wonder :crazyeye:

We could have avoided Alphabet for little longer as we don't have anyone to trade with :)

Very good lands in north btw.

Top Bottom