1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

DMOC's DEITY Game #3 - Willem van Oranje

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by DMOC, Aug 11, 2010.

1. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

Yes that's what I meant.

I did not succeed in doing that because I think the merchant has to be able to travel. If it's overseas, it likely has a "red circle" when I right click, meaning a move there is against the game's rules.

Thank you.

Thank you. As I mentioned before, my next game is likely to be Civ5, and even then it won't be for a while as I don't even have access to a PC.

Thank you.

I hit him with just 19 cavalries at first. Yes, that's a surprisingly small number, especially for an aggressive protective deity AI with that much land. However, several things were working in my favor. (1) Tokugawa was not technologically advanced, (2) Tokugawa had been stuck in wars since the BC's and as I accentuated, he was at war with many civilizations due to the AP and lost out on lucrative trade routes, and (3) I had bribing ability. A dogpile vs a civ with desireable land is usually only beneficial to the human player if he has the technology to get others out of the war. Otherwise, it is likely that the AI dogpiled will capitulate to someone else.

If no one had been at war with Tokugawa at that point, I would have simply built more and more cavalry ... but at the same time, I would not have to give away techs like Rifling for "free."

2. kossin

kossin Deity

It does work ;) And yes it also works if there's fog in the way.

What I do: I use the hotkey g to go-to while holding down shift. Left-click on the city and mouse over the trade mission.

Interestingly, one can do the same with Great Engineers to get free espionage :) You even get the building name if the city is making one.

3. AutomatedTeller

AutomatedTeller Frequent poster

Kossin - what version of Civ are you using? I'm using BtS 3.19 with the Buffy mod, and that doesn't work at all - in fact, that doesn't work for cities on the same continent.

it's too bad, cause it's a great trick :(

4. kossin

kossin Deity

That's BUG+BULL, but I've done it with BUFFY as well.

Sometimes the Great Merchant is 'bugged' and it doesn't work at all. Try again the next turn usually does the trick for me.

5. AutomatedTeller

AutomatedTeller Frequent poster

6. Yamps

Yamps Deity

Great tip with the merchant! :cool:

One can probably rush the building too, I bet that bug's still there!

7. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

Well, I have a semi-announcement.

I have tried out Civ5. Unfortunately, it earns a 5/10 rating for me while Civ4 is more like a 9/10 game for me.

Therefore, I shall be back and plan on starting a new Civ4 game in the next week.

8. madscientist

madscientist RPC Supergenius

Yet another of the lost has wandered back to the promise land. I welcome you!

9. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

That rating sounds a bit generous, DMOC...:lol:

welcome home!

10. vranasm

vranasm Deity

i would rate CiV 6.5/10 for the effort, but competing against 9/10 of CIV BTS... soooo...

11. cbucks

cbucks Warlord

excellent, welcome back! love reading your diety threads

12. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

Thanks for the welcome. I'm hoping to start the game Thursday night or Friday morning. This will not be as fast paced as my last game with Willem but I hope it will be just as fun. I plan to play on deity but it will be an extra challenge considering I haven't played Civ4 seriously in months.