DMOC's DEITY Game #3 - Willem van Oranje

Worst curveball ever. You're lucky this is a very entertaining read otherwise... =p

I'm sure there were many worse. I can try and look for them. :)

Wow Bismarck's power really shot up there. I thought it was only ever the human player that had such dramatic rises in military power.

I assume Bismarck did a lot of upgrading units (such as macemen to riflemen) to get that. Or it may have been a case of him just building up troops for WHEOOHRN. With his production bonuses (faster forges) and his beeline to Assembly Line, he did have potential for lots of production.

I assume Bismarck did a lot of upgrading units (such as macemen to riflemen) to get that. Or it may have been a case of him just building up troops for WHEOOHRN. With his production bonuses (faster forges) and his beeline to Assembly Line, he did have potential for lots of production.

I was forgetting that the AI gets huge discounts on upgrades so that seems logical.

Nice turns played there DMOC and good ridiance of Japan;) Toku annoys me a lot. By the way how is the Celtia Russian War going? Are they slowing in tech rate?

Round 9: 1360 AD to 1600 AD [49 Turns] - The Dutch Renaissance

Welcome ... to a new era of the Dutch empire. The post-war empire ... where the cities can grow grow and grow.

Spoiler :

Meanwhile, the Russian-Celtic war ended, with the Russians ceding a city to the Celtics. Boudica, however, would still be warring with Bismarck. This is more good news - now Boudica is distracted by Bismarck and will hopefully not target me anytime soon.

Spoiler :

I continued to fill in cities at the gaps I could. I razed the Japanese city there due to the Greek culture, but that changed when Sitting Bull captured Mycenae. This meant that I could settle a city there without cultural worries. Unfortunately, it has to start from scratch - but better a city there than nothing.

Spoiler :

In terms of espionage, I put my points on Peter.

• Boudica is the most powerful civilization, so I know her power by the demographics.
  • Peter might be in decline soon, so I need to know how well his power stands to Boudica, which I can do by approximating the power graph.
  • Boudica is putting too many points on me per turn (same with Saladin).

Spoiler :

My research went Electricity -> Radio. This is because I wanted to plan a bombers + cavalry war with a future target, most likely Bismarck. However, my plans would change.

In addition to the advantage of bombers, the Radio technology also unlocks a crucial wonder for me - The Cristo Redentor. I still haven't changed to Emancipation since I do not want to suffer the anarchy. I am, though, only getting 1 unhappiness a turn.

Actually, I should backtrack a bit. I researched Railroad for one turn, then got it in a trade with Hannibal (by giving him Electricity). Then I researched Radio.

Spoiler :

Technology. Hannibal and Saladin are really becoming advanced, which is probably due to the fact that they get almost all overseas trade routes.

Spoiler :

With Railroad researched, I immediately grouped my workers to have them road the mines, quarries, and lumbermills to get +1 production. The below screenshot shows me making a mistake, as on epic speed I should be grouping workers in groups of 3 for 1-turn railroads. 2-worker groups are useful for desert railroads, though.

And I'm finally getting the Forbidden Palace built. When it was built it saved me 103 gold-per-turn at maximum research, a significant amount.

Spoiler :

The every-50-turn report. No surprises there. We are first!

Spoiler :

Plans for a Golden Age were eliminated when I got a second great artist. It's a good thing I beelined for Radio earlier (to get the Cristo Redentor) for a backup plan to changing civics anarchy-free.

Spoiler :

As expected, Boudica takes over both of the bordering German cities. This means that the chances of me culturally flipping both cities is greater. :goodjob: Thanks, Boudica.

Spoiler :

On turn 315/1475 AD, Peter becomes the first civilization to complete the Apollo Program. Yes, that's not a typo - before 1500 AD. :crazyeye: See for yourself.

And some corporations are being founded. Boudica founded Mining Inc., for example. However, she soon switched to the State Property civic, thereby eliminating all of its benefits!

Spoiler :

Wow ... Boudica really has the upper hand in this war. I hope Bismarck can hold out a little longer.

Spoiler :

I take advantage of Augustus Caesar's lack of WFYABTA to get Democracy. Now if only I can get the Cristo Redentor or a Golden Age to change civics ....

Spoiler :

Thank goodness both Hannibal and I are in Free Market (favorite civic bonuses). It allows me to continue making trades to stay afloat in the tech race.

Spoiler :

The construction of this wonder by Carthage reminded me that I better keep checking the victory conditions to watch out for a potential Carthage cultural victory.

Spoiler :

All right, I did something a little unusual for me. See the sign called "gift gamble?" That's where I GIFTED Bismarck my large stack of cavalry from the last war. I was hoping the additional power for Bismarck would help him resist Boudica a little while. He got the stack, but moved it away from Munich, so it didn't help him defend the city. However, Bismarck DID avoid vassalizing to Boudica (the two made peace, a very stupid decision on Boudica's part again).

Spoiler :

My Ironworks city finally got within whipping range for the Cristo Redentor. 7 population points is very significant, but I could not afford to delay the wonder construction any longer. I was getting negative 4 happiness in each city due to emancipation weariness by now.

Spoiler :

In 1530, the United Nations vote popped up. This was an easy decision for me - I voted for Boudica to gain the +2 diplomacy points. If Peter ever started to plan a war against me, I probably could have whipped and rushed enough defenders in time. Boudica, however, was out of reach.

Spoiler :

Now do you see why Boudica has once again goofed up this game? She made peace with Bismarck, and her entire stack is stuck in Munich! And to make matters worse, Bismarck ended up being cautious to her later (meaning, he would accept open borders), but Boudica would be ANNOYED, so she would keep refusing open borders, despite the fact that her army was stuck there! :crazyeye:

Spoiler :

If you've been paying attention to my research, you probably know what my next objective is. Yes, that's me researching Computers in just 6 turns (4 on normal speed). I like having 2,500+ beaker empires.

Spoiler :

To prepare Kyoto for building my next project, I had the city work on a hydro plant to provide power (gives more production bonuses). Coincidentally, the plant's construction would coincide with the Computers technology research.

Spoiler :

More AI silliness. Defying resolutions that would have passed otherwise means 5 unhappiness per city.

Spoiler :

Well well well ... looks like Boudica is preparing for war again. And yes, her older stack is STILL stuck in Munich. I count 49 tanks.

Spoiler :

What would Boudica do ... and what could I do to stop her?

TO BE CONTINUED ... in ROUND TEN!

Intriguing round DMOC, did you ever consider joining in on the war against Bismarck? Or did you think that then he'd just cap to boudica for sure?
That tip about not focusing spy points on whoevers first in power was brilliant! Can't believe i'd never thought about that before, I mean sure it might take a bit of calculations to figure out power ratios but thats sure to be a big help to me in the future!

Also, at what point do you start to get worried about an AI actually winning the game? I mean with peter building apollo, hannibal able to get a culture win and boudica making heads roll surely you must have been thinking "if i don't pick up the pace quickly i might not be able to stop someone from running away with it"

Also, at what point do you start to get worried about an AI actually winning the game? I mean with peter building apollo, hannibal able to get a culture win and boudica making heads roll surely you must have been thinking "if i don't pick up the pace quickly i might not be able to stop someone from running away with it"

Especially when this is all happening ~1500AD :eek:

:lol: Yeah, I had to pick up the pace. It's "only" 1600 AD though. :D

Anyway, I will post 2 more rounds, then an epilogue. That will be it for my Civilization IV series, as I will be starting up a series of "DMOC's Civ 5 Experience - Episode X" series for the next game.

I've finished the game by the way.

Given that he was a jew of the old days, he would actually be in odds with doing a image of him in any sense, even more if using :whipped: ;)

Well, that stack of Boudica, left far beyond enemy lines, is clearly asking for some XP milking :D

:lol: Yeah, I had to pick up the pace. It's "only" 1600 AD though. :D

Anyway, I will post 2 more rounds, then an epilogue. That will be it for my Civilization IV series, as I will be starting up a series of "DMOC's Civ 5 Experience - Episode X" series for the next game.

I've finished the game by the way.

I know this is off topic but are you going to finish the Julius game? By the way, great game you have going on here:goodjob:

Round 10: 1600 AD to 1700 AD [21 Turns] - The Tale That Ends in the Light, Part I

Because of all the maintenance costs I'm suffering from corporations, I decided that I should switch to State Property. Look at my income level before and after the civic change:

Spoiler :

Finally, I won't have to deal with the corporations the other leaders are spreading to me.

Boudica, as expected, declared war on someone. I thought it would be Peter, but it was actually Sitting Bull. I would wish Sitting Bull some good luck, but he's got about 10 percent of her power ... so no thanks. :lol:

Spoiler :

Pericles suffers another -5 unhappiness from defying a resolution. What's funny is that Universal Suffrage is Boudica's favorite civic, so why not switch to that civic to gain diplomatic bonus points with the most powerful civilization on the planet?

In other news, Boudica completes the Apollo Program this turn. I will make a list of the Apollo Program completion dates for the various civilizations in this game in round 12.

Spoiler :

Bismarck decides to dogpile Sitting Bull. I am just avoiding the war since I want to focus on getting the heck out of here by aiming for the stars.

Spoiler :

Sitting Bull demands a silly resource. Hm ... this is a tough decision.

Spoiler :

It wouldn't have helped him anyway. I refuse that old request, but I acquiesce to this one.

Spoiler :

The every-50 turn report does not turn out to be so good for us. However, we have a secret project in production ....

Spoiler :

Pericles is trying to beat Boudica in the "stupidest AI" contest. :goodjob: That's another -5 unhappiness for him! If you look closely at the below screenshot, you can see Kyoto (upper left corner) almost done with its project.

Spoiler :

And then ... everything changed. The internet was constructed on turn 352/1660 AD, and we are now the overwhelming tech leader. At last.

Spoiler :

To no one's surprise, Boudica quickly vassalized Sitting Bull. However, now that her war was over, we signed a defensive pact. :deal:

Of course, Boudica went in WHEOOHRN the next turn. :run:

Spoiler :

With the birth of a Great Engineer, I was finally able to start a Golden Age. Thank goodness my lone warrior in the capital kept the other Great Artists company for a while.

I got the Great Engineer from being the first civilization to research Fusion. What I like doing when I get the internet is to turn off research before, then crank it up to 100% afterwards to get Fusion for the freebie. After Fusion, I research space-race technologies, such as Superconductors, as I am now.

Spoiler :

Of course, not everything was all fun-and-games .... (Yes, she STILL has about fifty other units stuck in Munich!)

Spoiler :

The story will continue and conclude in the next round ....

By the way Customs houses suck royally. I ended up getting a grand total of 3 extra base commerce in Fish City from this. Totally not worth the effort.

By the way Customs houses suck royally. I ended up getting a grand total of 3 extra base commerce in Fish City from this. Totally not worth the effort.
Another one sees the light :p IMHO, if someday someone makes a worst building poll again, this one has my vote...

To be honest , I'm not sure if Boudi will not drag you to something unpleasant before the end of the game ... and i would not be surprised if you were her next target ( not having a glance screen or save, I can't say more ), since you have clearly less power than her ( long live AI deity discounts :cry: ) and Boudi can start plotting a war while pleased with the target. Since you both need fission and rocketry for a SS win ( and that the net gave you ), I would consider making some :nuke: insurance, if you know what I mean...

Top Bottom