Do we live in a rape culture?

Expecting people to listen to a 10+ minute video based on your recommendation is probably the most interesting part of this post.
I had no expectations, but I'm glad you watched it anyways.

Nothing this individual talks about has any bearing whatsoever on the subject of consent. You can be raped and be okay with it afterwards. Rape is defined as sex without consent. In the example she listed, consent was not given. That doesn't mean the victim of the crime will be traumatized or otherwise grievously harmed after the fact. This doesn't guarantee pursuit of legal action. After dwelling on it the woman decided she was okay with what happened. She still got raped. The world is not black and white.

Then the individual delves into a rant about retroactively revoking consent which wasn't at all relevant to her listed examples.
So I think her main point is that whether or not it's a crime is basically entirely based on the women's state of mind after the incident, not during the incident. We let the woman decide if she consented or not after the fact.

So I think her main point is that whether or not it's a crime is basically entirely based on the women's state of mind after the incident, not during the incident. We let the woman decide if she consented or not after the fact.

But... that isn't true. The man wasn't charged with rape because she made no effort towards that end, not because he didn't commit a crime.

She didn't decide she consented after the fact either. She decided she was okay with the fact that she didn't initially consent. Ideally that would have never been the situation. Life is messy. She was fortunate to walk away with a happy ending. Most people aren't that fortunate.

Yeah, I suppose you're right. Maybe not the most relevant video for the topic at hand. I think she was just trying to point out that women can retroactively apply OR revoke consent which makes the idea of consent kind of wishy washy. I also think that the idea that being "raped" is not necessarily correlated with being "violated" is interesting.

Yeah, I suppose you're right. Maybe not the most relevant video for the topic at hand. I think she was just trying to point out that women can retroactively apply OR revoke consent which makes the idea of consent kind of wishy washy. I also think that the idea that being "raped" is not necessarily correlated with being "violated" is interesting.

Has the issue of revoking consent retroactively ever been relevant legally? I've personally only seen it get bandied around in a social setting, never in a court. Rape is a difficult thing to convict requiring extremely sensitive evidence. It doesn't seem likely that a woman deciding afterwards that she's not okay with it would get innocent men convicted when 'real' rapes are already so difficult to qualify. Not impossible, but I doubt its pervasiveness.

To be raped is to be violated, but to be violated is not a guarantee of trauma or explicit grievousness. There's a chance one woman out of a thousand might be okay with what happened based on the context. This however does not mean that someone can seriously imply to the other 999 women that they should be okay with it too.

Has the issue of revoking consent retroactively ever been relevant legally? I've personally only seen it get bandied around in a social setting, never in a court. Rape is a difficult thing to convict requiring extremely sensitive evidence. It doesn't seem likely that a woman deciding afterwards that she's not okay with it would get innocent men convicted when 'real' rapes are already so difficult to qualify. Not impossible, but I doubt its pervasiveness.
I think the most common example is after drunk sex where the girl was enthusiastic about the sex at the time, but an argument could be made that she was "too drunk" to consent. After sobering up, if the girl likes the guy she slept with, then she will say it was consensual, but if she doesn't like him she will say the guy manipulated and raped her.

I've heard some more extreme examples of this happening with sober sex where the guy lied about wanting to marry the girl or how much money he makes, but I'm not sure if these are are true stories or not.

To be raped is to be violated, but to be violated is not a guarantee of trauma or explicit grievousness. There's a chance one woman out of a thousand might be okay with what happened based on the context. This however does not mean that someone can seriously imply to the other 999 women that they should be okay with it too.
IIRC in that video Karen brought up that in one study of campus sexual assault, about half of the "victims" did not report feeling violated.

I think the most common example is after drunk sex where the girl was enthusiastic about the sex at the time, but the argument could be made that she was "too drunk" to consent. After sobering up, if the girl likes the guy she slept with, then she will say it was consensual, but if she doesn't like him she will say the guy manipulated and raped her.

...which is a hypothetical

I've heard some more extreme examples of this happening with sober sex where the guy lied about wanting to marry the girl or how much money he makes, but I'm not sure if these are are true stories or not.

Well, lying to someone to get them to have sex with you might be marginally less unethical than just taking them by force or when they're too twisted to say no, but not a whole hell of a lot...

...which is a hypothetical
The fact is, many women have sex when they are "too drunk" to consent and are completely happy about it. Still some other women will do the same thing and claim to be victimized. It's simply not consistent. We need to hold women accountable for their actions while drunk. Unless the guy used physical force or threats or she was so intoxicated as to be unaware of what was going on, I don't think it's rape.

Well, lying to someone to get them to have sex with you might be marginally less unethical than just taking them by force or when they're too twisted to say no, but not a whole hell of a lot...
It might be unethical, but it's nowhere close to rape. Calling it such cheapens what real rape victims go through.

Last edited:
I think the most common example is after drunk sex where the girl was enthusiastic about the sex at the time, but an argument could be made that she was "too drunk" to consent. After sobering up, if the girl likes the guy she slept with, then she will say it was consensual, but if she doesn't like him she will say the guy manipulated and raped her.

Right, but does that translate to the courtroom? There are a lot of social ideas that get propagated that fall flat the second they reach the courts.

The situation is that the accuser and the accursed both tell the same story, being together that night, and having sex with each other. The only difference between the stories is that one person says it was consensual, and the other one says it was not. There's no space for other people in that story, and the woman was conscious the thole time.

No, I did not ignore the reasons you gave, I just did not accept them and instead showed why I think that all but one of the reasons you gave are powerfully, incredibly, idiotically, (What, the word I wanted to add is blocked? Bummer.) wrong, and explained why I think the other one is unethical.

The real idiocy in all of this is of course that the people who would usually probably spout "Believe the victim!" are suddenly all against "believing the victim" when the victim and the perpetrator both tell the same story. :D

Truly baffling, but I guess if your standard of evidence requires you to disbelieve both sides involved, even though they tell you the same thing, then there's not much use in having a discussion. Because I think that's utterly stupid and a waste of resources. If both sides tell you the exact same thing, and that story is plausible, and there's no reason to believe the accuser and the accused are both lying (which might be the case in a situation where the victim suddenly takes back the previous story to clear the accused, but not here), then there's absolutely no reason to draw in the rape kit, because it will just give you the information you already have.

So essentially, you can see the future and neither witness will ever change their story :lol:

If you think you can count on an accused to maintain their concession of a key element of a crime through trial, you are utterly ignorant of how the legal system works. You know how you can make sure they maintain it? By testing the kit!

Testing the rape kit provides so many advantages, including ensuring the alleged crime actually occurred - which is just not a given especially if drugs and/or alcohol are involved. And you're worried about de minimis "wasting resources?" Ridiculous. Telling cops to perform triage on rape kits instead of a blanket policy, on the off-chance it's not strictly necessary to test? What kind of sense does that even make?

I'd actually like to know if there are other situations where you think cops should believe a crime occurred without availing themselves of available means to confirm it. Unless we're going to run law enforcement on people's word to save time and money. It's a novel theory of law enforcement, I'll give you that :lol:

The 'false rape' discussion shouldn't even be had. They happen, but they are extremely rare. I also feel sorry for everyone who's been struck by lighting, but it's not worth talking about next to everything else. So sure, false rape accusers are turds, but there aren't that many of them. And the very real chance to be sexually assaulted (especially if you're female) is much higher.

Your argument is basically that whatever the guy says is what the cops will believe, and they won't bother investigating further to see if what he says is the whole truth.

What if he's not the only guy the woman was with? What if he's lying to protect someone else? (yeah, sounds like a TV cop/lawyer show scenario, but the truth is not unoften stranger than fiction - or more revolting in some cases)

Just accepting the guy's word without confirming it is nuts.

Which "college kids of today" are you addressing?

Hey, I've got a bad temper in RL too.

I'm addressing your mom BTW.

Hey, I've got a bad temper in RL too.

I'm addressing your mom BTW.
Okay, since you're fairly new here from the Civ section of the board, you get a pass for not knowing a few things:

1. My mother is dead (will be 3 years in September).

2. My mother and I were never close.

3. I'm over 50 and haven't set foot in any college for over 20 years.

4. My mother never even made it out of high school.

5. My mother had zero interest in modern technology - to her "high tech" meant the TV remote or operating a cash register where she worked.

6. I don't have human children (have been owned by a succession of cats over the past almost-40 years).

7. Considering the crap I've had to put up with during the past several months and am still putting up with, my current bad temper is more than justified. While I try not to bring the worst of it here, I put that in my sig as a warning that I'm not apt to find humor or patience as much as I used to, so if I say a line has been crossed or is about to be crossed, it's better to assume I'm serious.

The 'false rape' discussion shouldn't even be had. They happen, but they are extremely rare. I also feel sorry for everyone who's been struck by lighting, but it's not worth talking about next to everything else. So sure, false rape accusers are turds, but there aren't that many of them.
You should really stop saying this.

Right, but does that translate to the courtroom? There are a lot of social ideas that get propagated that fall flat the second they reach the courts.
I imagine it would, assuming the laws consider being intoxicated as "unable to consent". In California this is the case.

The 'false rape' discussion shouldn't even be had. They happen, but they are extremely rare. I also feel sorry for everyone who's been struck by lighting, but it's not worth talking about next to everything else. So sure, false rape accusers are turds, but there aren't that many of them. And the very real chance to be sexually assaulted (especially if you're female) is much higher.
The reason that false rape accusations are important is that they are particularly nasty to get slapped with, and many studies have shown that the false accusation rate for rape is much higher than for other crimes. The fact that rape cases pretty much boil down to "he said she said", and that the defendant is limited in their ability to defend themselves (rape shield laws) makes it particularly heinous. Even if not convicted, the accused's reputation will be seriously damaged, and they could lose their job. On university campuses which follow the recently implemented "preponderance of the evidence" standard, the accused are basically denied their due process rights and could be kicked out of their university.

Yes it's called ableism and I'm super-guilty of it all the time
Forgot to post this earlier:

Last edited:
I imagine it would, assuming the laws consider being intoxicated as "unable to consent". In California this is the case.

What you imagine doesn't matter. Does this social propagation have any standing in an actual court?

What you imagine doesn't matter. Does this social propagation have any standing in an actual court?
I say "imagine" only because I have never been at a rape trial myself. According to the laws of California the scenario I outlined would have a standing in court, yes.

I say "imagine" only because I have never been at a rape trial myself. According to the laws of California the scenario I outlined would have a standing in court, yes.

Someone drugged beyond reasonable ability to provide consent doesn't fit your argument of retroactively rescinded consent.

I disagree. Like rape itself, false accusations of rape are often not reported, so it's really not that clear cut.

Top Bottom