Do you have bread in the fridge?

The refrigerator isn't that cold! :p The bread is no colder than the stuff you're putting in it in any case. And bread is a really poor conductor of heat. So it's really not noticeable.
most of the time I eat my bread without any topping, so there's nothing cold on it either ;) the thing I put on bread most often is honey, and I don't keep that in the fridge either.

I still refuse to call this bread
Spoiler :
this is what we're talking about here? having it turn mouldy might actually be an improvement in that case ;)

Didn't realise there were so many bread snobs in OT!
There are advantages to that type of bread. Many advantages.
In that case it seems I am indeed a bread snob, and not in the least ashamed of it :p

for the record, when I talk about bread, I'm thinking about something like this:

well, if we're gonna compare bread... I'm thinking about something like this

I like all sorts of bread, but those kinds of bread don't make very good toast. They are good for many other things you might want to use bread for, but for putting into a toaster, they are not as good as "cheap" bread.

"Cheap" bread also comes in a very square, regular form, meaning that the ends are limited and each slice is an identical size. In Mayor's bread, the ends are very round, so you get a lot more crust on the end bits, and smaller slices as you go down. This could cause issues if you like your slices to be of a consistent size (say, when making a sandwich), or if you have friends and don't want to argue over who had the bigger slice.

"Cheap" bread is also more symmetrical (it is usually symmetrical in two directions, rather than one), so you can get more slice "combinations". For example, with Mayor's bread, a triangular sandwich is rather more difficult than with "cheap" bread that has been made perfectly rectangular by factory stacking.

"Cheap" bread also has uniform and often very thin crusts, so if your children don't like crusts, you can cut them off easily.

"Cheap" bread has no "bits", so you don't end up with a whole bunch of seeds or flour or whatever on your kitchen table. I like seeds, but sometimes I don't want to have to clear them up - sometimes I want a clean bread experience, and "cheap" bread is great for that.

"Cheap" bread also lasts longer: it's more resistant to mould and doesn't go stale as quickly. This is because of all the additives and preservatives they pump into the bread at the bread factory - the kind of preservatives that you don't get in ordinary bread.

It's true that other breads are better at other things, such as being toasted under a grill, or for travelling (they go stale just sitting on the bread isle of the shop, so are usually harder on the outside, making them great for keeping in your pocket on your way to work), and it's true that they look and taste better than "cheap" bread, but that doesn't mean that "cheap" bread is some kind of abomination with no redeeming qualities. There are many uses for "cheap" bread, and ruling it out of your culinary tool-kit would be a mistake.

I like all sorts of bread, but those kinds of bread don't make very good toast. They are good for many other things you might want to use bread for, but for putting into a toaster, they are not as good as "cheap" bread.

Hmm, don't know about that.. I make toast regularly either in a pan or a toaster. works fine...

"Cheap" bread also comes in a very square, regular form, meaning that the ends are limited and each slice is an identical size. In Mayor's bread, the ends are very round, so you get a lot more crust on the end bits, and smaller slices as you go down. This could cause issues if you like your slices to be of a consistent size (say, when making a sandwich), or if you have friends and don't want to argue over who had the bigger slice.

I have to give you that... I always thend to avoid the outer slices because they are smaller :p

"Cheap" bread is also more symmetrical (it is usually symmetrical in two directions, rather than one), so you can get more slice "combinations". For example, with Mayor's bread, a triangular sandwich is rather more difficult than with "cheap" bread that has been made perfectly rectangular by factory stacking.

true, you don't get a perfect triangle but it is possible to cut it diagonally.
But besides easthetics, what doest it matter if it is a perfect triangal or not?

"Cheap" bread also has uniform and often very thin crusts, so if your children don't like crusts, you can cut them off easily.

If I ever have children that start to complain about the crusts..... :evil:

"Cheap" bread has no "bits", so you don't end up with a whole bunch of seeds or flour or whatever on your kitchen table. I like seeds, but sometimes I don't want to have to clear them up - sometimes I want a clean bread experience, and "cheap" bread is great for that.

:lol: a clean bread experience, I like that.
Just use a plate :p that way you can throw them out in one swoop.

"Cheap" bread also lasts longer: it's more resistant to mould and doesn't go stale as quickly. This is because of all the additives and preservatives they pump into the bread at the bread factory - the kind of preservatives that you don't get in ordinary bread.

yeah... but is it still "bread" or has it become a byproduct of the industry?

There are many uses for "cheap" bread, and ruling it out of your culinary tool-kit would be a mistake.
[/QUOTE]

Oh, I don't rule them out... They are perfect for making French toast :D

Mmmmm French toast...

Re Triangular bread: If I'm making a sandwich, I don't want the sandwich filling to fall out. So when you have bread that has round, squiggly edges, it's much more difficult to get the sandwich filling in without bits sticking out the sides. If your bread is square then it's easier to line everything up inside the edges.

well, that was a nice laudatio for "cheap" bread ;)

They may have redeeming qualities for some, but it's just that none of those you listed are in any way high on my list of important criteria for bread.

also, who doesn't like crust...it's like not liking chocolate or something, in other words, unthinkable ;)

wheat>white

Why would I bother eating that cheap white bread on the other page? It's just empty calories that don't even taste that good. Why not just eat your sandwich filling with a fork without any bread?

most of the time I eat my bread without any topping, so there's nothing cold on it either ;) the thing I put on bread most often is honey, and I don't keep that in the fridge either.

this is what we're talking about here? having it turn mouldy might actually be an improvement in that case ;)

In that case it seems I am indeed a bread snob, and not in the least ashamed of it :p

for the record, when I talk about bread, I'm thinking about something like this:

I never buy the presliced "toast-bread"-type. I prefer the snobbish bread like in the picture above.

On top of that I also eat rye-bread/rugbrød, which is super dense and rich in whole grain and fiber.

well, if we're gonna compare bread... I'm thinking about something like this

Bah! This is nothing, nothing I tell you!

This is real bread:

Top Bottom