1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you have bread in the fridge?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cheetah, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

I've never found bread stored in the fridge to be very cold, cool maybe, but nothing that is a problem (and I usually toast it anyway, even for sandwiches).

2. Atlas14

Atlas14 "Sophomoric Troll Master"

I keep mine in the freezer. I didn't until recently, but now I actually prefer cold bread.

3. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Yeah, I don't eat bread but my daughter does. We get this kind from TJ's or Whole Foods.

4. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

No, but it's probably better in the freezer than the fridge, because it will go stale in fridge.

5. Darkwind

Darkwind Chieftain

Never put bread in fridge, I usually eat them the same day I buy them anyways.

6. Fuzzz

Fuzzz you

The best way to store your bread is on room temerature. Try to avoid exposure to air (in a paper bread bag), moist and heat (eg. not near your oven). Putting your bread in a fridge will make your bread go stale sooner, but putting it in a freezer is a good way to store bread. Thaw the slices individually or together on the lowest setting of your microwave (defrost setting) or better yet, thaw your bread on the kitchen counter.

source

7. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

What we do here is buy two loaves of bread and we put them in the freezer, since we normally have one that is nearly gone in the cupboard and take one out when the one in the cupboard is finished and we just repeat it like so, so the bread never goes moldy, since it gets used up before it gets a chance to become moldy.

8. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

I keep my bread in the freezer. When I want a slice or two, it just takes a brief zap in the microwave to unfreeze it for eating.

9. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Just a passenger

Ditto. Or toast it.

10. Grisu

Grisu Draghetto Moderator

the bread we buy usually gets hard long before it gets mouldy, so that never was a problem for us....besides cold bread sounds disgusting

11. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

That's why you microwave or toast it. :huh:

12. Princeps

Princeps More bombs than God

I don't store bread in the fridge, but maybe I should, considering the waste.

13. Grisu

Grisu Draghetto Moderator

I don't toast bread (I don't use toast bread to begin with) and microwaving would probably turn it limp

14. Core Imposter

Core Imposter Deity

I live in the United States. We have lots of fresh bread so no dolt would freeze or chill it here. If the bread gets old we just throw it out. Its just how we roll.

Aspire. To. It.

15. mayor

mayor Heart & Mind

yes... at our house bread is being bought once a week. Most of it is on purchase placed in the fridge for storage. When a bread is gone another one will be taken out of the fridge :)

16. Tani Coyote

Tani Coyote Canis Latranscendental

We never put our bread in the fridge. Oddly, we don't go through it half the time, but we hardly ever get mold on it... weird.

We also keep our syrup in the pantry, much to the chagrin of those in our family who practice the "keep the syrup in the fridge" ritual.

17. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

People keep syrup in the fridge? We always kept it in the pantry.

18. Tani Coyote

Tani Coyote Canis Latranscendental

In all the houses I've explored on the West Coast, syrup in the fridge seems to be the custom.

They also all give me and my family strange looks when we dip toast in hot chocolate.

Meanwhile, they're pouring ranch all over their pizza.

You find all sorts of customs with food, it seems, and it highlights our inherent biases - we all go "eww" at something bizarre. Indeed, I thought ranch and pizza to be disgusting until I actually tried it.

Who'd imagine food would be a good way to see the tendency towards rejecting new ideas? :p

19. Quackers

Quackers The Frog

I second Valka.

20. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

If I buy bread I put it in the fridge. Otherwise it goes mouldy too quickly.

Basically, what I'm saying here is pretty much what everyone else has said already. PC+1 ftw.