"Don't Cry for me Argentina!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are real brainwashing cartoons distributed in schools by argentinian government and should be illegal. It's like fascist argentinian propaganda. There's even a villain called "Capitán Realista" who speaks with castillian accent and travels to the past to avoid independence:

Its a pity its weird nationalistic propaganda because there's a certain subtle humour to it that I kind of appreciate. The bit with the pilot asking if he's been assigned a little boy as his copilot was kind of funny, i dunno. It seems like the kind of cartoon that I, as an adult, would kind of enjoy.

Why must I be so conflicted.

Its a pity its weird nationalistic propaganda because there's a certain subtle humour to it that I kind of appreciate. The bit with the pilot asking if he's been assigned a little boy as his copilot was kind of funny, i dunno. It seems like the kind of cartoon that I, as an adult, would kind of enjoy.

Why must I be so conflicted.

I agree, I watched the full episode about the independence war and I must admit it was kinda fun. If only it wasn't so blatantly partisan... (Or if it was oriented for an adult audience, and not for educational purposes)

The songs are catchy tho

As I had promised to myself and to you, after starting the original thread I stepped away almost completely from the topic of NES and just decided to wait for the final verdict without participating in the flame wars. After the NES murder of several prominent IOTs I believe I must state this case again. Why? Mostly because many people thought that my problem lies with the fictional unification of NES and IOT under one NESIOT banner. It's not so.

Many comments around the Internet about the flame wars stated that it is "the effect/pinnacle/what-we-should-expect-from IOT culture". These comments gathered huge support and I was shocked. Then I remembered the thread I'm continuing here and the reason for it. Reason for the thread, of course, and not for the whole wide issue. IOTers are depicted as NES, ergo all IOTers are blamed for NES crimes, even though they were commited while waging flame wars on us. Insane? Insane.

So, this is my appeal to you, not exactly an invitation to discussion. I just want to highlight the issue I believe to be very serious.

To put it bluntly:
Not all Action Chatrooms are about superheroes, shipping, and elves; only a small margin.
Not all IOTers are soulless numbercruching robots, only a small margin.
Not all moderators are circling this forum trying to crush us, only a small margin.
Not all IOTers are NESers, only a small margin.

NESIOT in its current state promotes the stereotype. It would be an act of decency to either strip the references to NES, which is not a bad thing by itself for a fictional entity, or preferably eliminate the huge equality sign between IOTers and NESers. I oppose the unification of NESIOT on the grounds that it is NES and with all the elements of NES and NES culture, the subforum yells that IOT = NES.

Tell me quickly what's the story
Who saw what and why and where?
Let him give a full description
Let him answer to Aile Dhoo!
In this nest of bores and vipers
Let one speak who saw it all
Who laid hands on this good man here?
What's the substance of this brawl?

Tried it on my in-laws' iphone, and frankly, wasn't really that impressed. Pretty disappointing overall.

This is a ruleset for a forum game I may or may not host in the near future.

The ruleset is very unclear. If anyone has the patience, I'd love to hear corrections on how to simplify the presented rules.

Spoiler :
The Rift

Game setting

The Rift is the chronicle of a civil war spanning the surrounding regions of Ungaria, following the death of Rufun the Usurper at the day of his coronation. Each player takes control of a side in the war, and must command heroes and soldiers, maintain an economy and be prepared for the disastrous consequences of the civil war unfolding upon the region.

Mechanics

The Rift is what I coin as a “daftesque”, honoring the brilliant NES mod Daftpanzer. As in many of his games, The Rift features a boardgame style forum game utilizing sprites as moving setpieces. The game is fundamentally a strategic war game where each player plays to conquer and control. But the majority of the game mechanics that are more or less hidden from the players, giving the game a more organic pacing, especially as the provinces' peoples that the players vie for control over may be well engaged in the civil war as they have their own interests.

(1) Goal of the game – Really, there is no set victory conditions of the game. A player is the guiding spirit of his faction and is personified in his champion. You should roleplay your factions, set your own goals and seek to achieve them. You don't necessarily have to want to unite the whole map. Think about the socioeconomical, political, cultural or religious goals of your faction. What do you want to achieve? What is diplomatically defensible? Are your conquests just? Your population will act in accordance to the legitimacy of your conquests – continually sacrificing your country's men to reinforce your armies will hurt you if you don't do it for a good reason.

(2) Factions, cohorts and champions – Each player begins in one (!) province of the world map, leading a faction with the ambition to sway the civil war in its favor. Your tools as a player consist of your faction's champions and cohorts, gold and resources, and your wit. (The game will be very hard if you don't do diplomacy.)

Upon beginning the game, each player must choose its sprite color palette (choosing an unique combination of primary and secondary faction color), its champion, a heroic soldier to lead your units, and may buy units (called “cohorts”) for a total of 25 gold. The purchases must be appropriate to your provinces. (For example, dwarves cannot be purchased outside Ulafark.) The information on which provinces buy what is detailed in both the cohort list and the Lore – Provinces section.

(3) Base combat system and “Black Box” stats – The basic combat system works as such that when you move your champion and/or any number of cohorts into a province with enemy cohorts, the involved parties will battle. The rules only check the boardstate before turn's end. This means that if the enemy moves its army out of a province the same turn you invade it, the two sides will still do battle – but the surviving defenders will still perform the movement to be present there at the next turn.

Flavorfully, each cohort represents just that – a division of soldiers. The number of soldiers present in each cohort is detailed in the unit descriptions, and counts one thousand men by default. Some cohorts, such as the Yeti, only counts one single creature. But know that quantitative superiority is a flavor description – one Yeti, by the virtue of its size, can indeed take on one thousand men. A cohort worth 20 gold is usually as strong as two 10 gold cohorts when comparing raw power without strengths and weaknesses. Numbers are, to put it simply, a flavor feature.

Each cohort may move across two provinces per turn. When you attack an enemy province with a cohort, that cohort cannot move anymore. When fighting, cohorts will attemp to target the appropriate opponents and wound them. A wounded cohort remains on the map for one turn after being defeated, and is distinguished from nonwounded cohorts by being transparent on the map. Wounded cohorts cannot move or fight. During the one turn that a wounded cohort remains on the map, its owner may pay a resource pair (See (4) for details) in order to attempt reinforcing the wounded cohort. If reinforced, the cohort will become opaque again and ready to fight the next turn. The cohort cannot be reinforced if in enemy territory however, so if an enemy counquers the province that your wounded cohort is in, your resources are wasted. If you do not manage to reinforce a wounded cohort, it perishes – dies.

Flanking from more than one province gives advantages and you may additionally fight alongside allies in wars. See (4) for more about this game's diplomacy.

Rather than being showcased for number crunching, the actual stats of cohort type is reserved for mod use. In my opinion this allows for a more soft, organic game feel. The cohort section still explains each cohort type in detail, showcasing its sprite, describing how it excels and what it's bad at, as well as the few concrete things you do need to know about the cohort in order to train it. (Such as where it's trainable and how much it costs.)

You should know that luck is involved and that part of the way combat works is me deducing how things happen most appropriately. No force is sure to succeed, no matter how overwhelming it is.

(4) Provincial system and diplomacy settings – The rules handling provinces act similarly to the cohorts' black box. (As I said under (2), you might want to read the Lore section to get an overview of what's going on in the region's societies.) Provinces are breathing, living things, each with its own hidden setpieces and interests. Actors and influencers may choose to berate you, fight you, fight with you or even join you, depending on the proceedings of the war.

Some provinces have features – such as Woods, Hills, Snow or Desert – that influence the effeciency of certain troops within them. Additionally, some provinces produce either Food or Craft resources. Having one of each means you have a resource pair, which you may spend for stuff each turn. Resources pairs allow you to reinforce your cohorts and champions. In order to control these resources, and to control a province, you need a cohort in that province.

If you move into a province controlled by a player which you do not have a deal with beforehand, you will fight your way through it, and yes, both neutral factions and players may trick you this way. In order to avoid this, you must enter an open borders treaty (where all involved parties may move freely within each other's provinces). If you want to fight alongside a friend in addition to this, you may enter an alliance treaty (where all involved parties may move freely within each other's provinces and your armies will cooperate as “one side” against your enemies during a battle.

You may also freely exchange resources, cohorts and even provinces between each other. Champions cannot be traded, however.

(5) Champions – Champions are individuals of great prowess and power that sway the battle in your favor. Think of Greek mythological heroes and monsters. As each player only begins with one champion, and cannot get any more from training, they are extremely important. In the beginning of the game, champions are basically supporting commanders that provide favorable benefits to your engaging armies. Valuable, but not overpowering. Later in the game, champions become so powerful they can take on cohorts on their own.

Similar to cohorts, champions may become wounded, disabling them from moving or fighting. But unlike cohorts, they will not perish from their wounds as cohorts do. Rather, they remain transparent on the map until reinforced for a resource pair. In order to kill an enemy champion, you must move your champion into its province. Your champion must remain a full turn in that province, undisturbed by enemy soldiers, where you give it orders to execute the enemy champion. If so, the enemy champion will be executed and perishes.

Each champion begins at Level 1, and each level is approximately 1 gold's worth in cohort strength. For each turn your champion fights, it gains a level – so after 9 turns of constant fighting it will become Level 10, approximately 10 gold's worth in cohort strength. At every fifth level (5, 10, 15 and so on), you will be given a random pool of three special abilities, and may grant one of those abilities to your champion.

(6) Regions – As seen on the below map, there are several regions participating in the Ungarian civil war.

Spoiler :

NB. Map is unfinished, as certain provinces will be connected overseas, like done in RISK.

The first time any player unites a region under one banner (alliances do not count towards this!), that player gains a secret bonus. This bonus is stronger the larger the united region is.

(You might notice the cohort, champion and lore sections are missing. They are, simply, unfinished.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom