1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Doomsday clock moved closer to midnight

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Murky, Jan 10, 2012.

1. aelf

aelf Ashen One

So it's not that there's "nothing to base their guesses off of", it's just that you disagree with their assessment? Good to see you acknowledge that you misspoke.

2. NickyJ

NickyJ Retired Narrator

I stand by what I said: They have nothing to base their guesses off of. Sure, people have nukes, but how does that translate into "the world will end in a certain number of years"? You have to have something to measure it with.

3. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

Thing with predictions is, is that you can't measure it. They base their predictions off of events and tension in the world, which can be interpreted rather broadly. I don't think they're claiming what they say is fact, but rather that they are trying to gauge how severe the situation is.

4. aelf

aelf Ashen One

So instead of admitting that what you said was off the mark, you decide to show that you don't even know how the Doomsday Clock works? Well done.

5. NickyJ

NickyJ Retired Narrator

The thing is, they have no way of gauging it. How do they know many nukes it takes to advance the clock one minute? If we find new energy, how many minutes does the Doomsday clock advance?

Or more likely, you read off the mark. Anyway, saying that we should say that the end is near because it is is hardly a good way of running a Doomsday clock.

My point is, you have to be able to have an accurate way of measuring how close we are to Doomsday. Sure we have nukes, tensions, and all that, but how do you translate that into being closer or further to Doomsday by a certain amount of time. Their guessing is at best a pathetic attempt at trying to raise awareness of what these times are like, and at worst, nothing more than fear-mongering.

6. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

The clock isn't intended to suggest that we're such-and-such amount of time from "doomsday", its supposed to indicate the risk of a global catastrophe in the near-to-mid future.. That's why it has, and is intended to, gone back and forth over time. Are you not as familiar with the concept as you assume, or do you just lack a capacity for understanding metaphors?

7. Murky

Murky Deity

It is symbolic means of raising awareness not a countdown.

8. Silurian

Silurian Deity

It went back one minute in 2010 and after the fall of the Berlin wall it was something like 17 minutes

9. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Deity

After stating previously that I thought it was a good thing , it's going to be hard to use my just thought of "****oo clock" gag with any legitimacy .

10. Rashiminos

Rashiminos Fool Prophet

I doubt it does that, at least to a good degree.

11. Mr. Dictator

Mr. Dictator A Chain-Smoking Fox

That's not really what the clock is about.

We should have some sort of accurate way of measuring how asinine a thread can get before its closed.

12. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Which suggests a serious miscalculation of the degree of nuclear proliferation following the collapse of the Soviet bloc...

13. holy king

holy king Deity

in the land of the free bedtime is taken seriously.

14. Murky

Murky Deity

It draws eyebrows for a little while I guess. It's not like people are checking it's status on a daily basis or anything. It usually takes some big event to move it so watching it would be a useless waste of time.

15. Rashiminos

Rashiminos Fool Prophet

It does draw eye(brow)s, but from where to where?

16. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

I wouldn't say we're living in the "end of times"... Probably, people from 14th century Europe thought the end was near with the outbreak of the Great Plague. Most of us who are old enough to remember the Cold War might have thought that nuclear war and therefore, the end was close many times...

17. Aleenik

Aleenik Deity

I find this 'Doomsday Clock' to be rather useless. But hey, they got to be in the news!

18. amadeus

amadeus Large Marge sent me

Link to video.

I can think of no better song to describe the BAS and their hysterical timepiece.

19. Narz

Narz keeping it real

20. r16

r16 not deity

the sinking cruise ship in Italy is the normal thing that happens when economy gets a downturn , just like the stoppage in the Chunnel that followed Berlusconi getting it on the face . What's even odder and moves the stuff out of the ordinary is the sinking of the South korean freighter that was immediately either followed or preceded by the sinking of a Turkish ship , both cases by explosions .

so , ı think , now that this was the Titanic 2012 , people will be hard pressed to accept a full world war will be in progress in 2014 .