Drug prohibition is useless

friskymike said:
Hello JH... I'm back... for a while. I can say though that I fully agree with you for a change! :D

welcome back dude. And Im glad we agree, but its always okay to disagree since if I remember you always had a good process of thought even if I disagreed with it

JerichoHill said:
Yes, because prohibition worked wonders, and reduced crime!

If at first you don't succeed...

JerichoHill said:
That would be pretty pointless, stupid, and [it would] create a black market; that is why we would legalize it, to get rid of the black market.

Perhaps you didn't fully understand what I was trying to say. The government needs to fight drug abuse. The only way I would support legalization would be if it was part of an effort to do this. I am firmly against legalizing drug abuse with the intent of tolerating its continued existence.

{|}$~\ said:
Perhaps you didn't fully understand what I was trying to say. The government needs to fight drug abuse. The only way I would support legalization would be if it was part of an effort to do this. I am firmly against legalizing drug abuse with the intent of tolerating its continued existence.

Wouldn't the best way to do this be to legalize certain drugs and use the money you save to educate the public about the harms of drug abuse?

That is what we're doing with cigarettes and alcohol. Why wouldn't it work with other drugs?

{|}$~\ said:
If at first you don't succeed...

And the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results.

Along those lines, can you tell me how the War on Drugs has been pursued differently than Prohibition, new technology aside?

{|}$~\ said:

Does the government need to fight drug use? Or do you not differentiate between use and abuse?

IglooDude said:
And the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results.

I'm not saying we should be doing the same thing over and over; I think we should consider different methods. What we should NOT do is give up.

IglooDude said:
Does the government need to fight drug use? Or do you not differentiate between use and abuse?

The government does not need to fight medical drug use. All nonmedical drug use is drug abuse.

{|}$~\ said:
The government does not need to fight medical drug use. All nonmedical drug use is drug abuse.
No all non-medical drug use that advercly effects a persons life is abuse.

All nonmedical drug use adversely affects a person's life.

{|}$~\ said:
All nonmedical drug use adversely affects a person's life.

Such an all-encompassing claim begs proof rather than spellchecking.

Fine. Most nonmedical drug use adversely affects a person's life, just as most people who fall out of airplanes at 10 km altitude without parachutes die.

Bad spelling is not an adverse affect.

Now you can also say that medical drug abuse is more detrimental to ones body and over all life then droping acid or eating 'shrooms or eating mescoline or smoking weed.

I'm going to assume you haven't done the drugs you are so adimently opposed to and don't realy know the effects of getting high on said drugs or the long term issues of useing first hand. Why do you hate recreational drugs so much?

skadistic said:
Why do you hate recreational drugs so much?

Because they leave a path of death, destruction, and tragedy behind them.

skadistic said:
Now you can also say that medical drug abuse is more detrimental to one's body and overall life then dropping acid or eating 'shrooms or eating mescaline or smoking weed.
Using drugs to treat medical conditions is not abuse. Recreational use of prescription drugs is not medical.

skadistic said:
I'm going to assume you haven't done the drugs you are so adamently opposed to, and don't really know the effects of getting high on said drugs or the long term issues of using first-hand.
I have never used recreational drugs. So you are correct in assuming that I do not have firsthand knowledge of what it feels like to be in an intoxicated state. Would I be correct in assuming that you do not have firsthand knowledge of what it feels like to pull a 2-month-old baby out of a garbage bin where it had been thrown by its drug-addled mother and was about to be compacted? Would I be correct in assuming that you do not have firsthand knowledge of what it feels like to see a seven-year-old child convinced that he is being pursued by demons after getting into his parents' drug pile six months ago? Would I be correct in assuming that you do not have firsthand knowledge of what it feels like to see an eight-year-old child with permanent brain damage from spending the first five years of her life in a meth lab? Would I be correct in assuming that you do not have firsthand knowledge of what it feels like to be at the memorial services for a five-year-old child attacked with a meat cleaver by his drug-addled nextdoor neighbor? Would I be correct in assuming that you do not have firsthand knowledge of what it feels like to see a three-year-old child crushed by a refrigerator after her drug-addled father pushed it over onto her, convinced that he was being attacked by a goblin? Would I be correct in assuming that you do not have firsthand knowledge of what it feels like to be at the memorial services for a nine-year-old whose mother came home from a party where she had had one marijuana-contaminated brownie and bashed in his skull when he told her he had heard a noise outside his window?

{|}$~\ said:
Fine. Most nonmedical drug use adversely affects a person's life, just as most people who fall out of airplanes at 10 km altitude without parachutes die.

Trimming the nose hairs of your generalization doesn't make it any less goofy. There are millions of Americans (including me) that are "social drinkers" that haven't experienced any adverse effects more significant than a hangover, and in fact the glass-of-wine-with-dinner types are showing up in medical research as having positive health effects from that bit of wine. Certainly anyone who does not contract lung cancer while continuing to smoke tobacco or marijuana qualifies. For that matter, the person who has a pot-laced brownie on a party weekend every once in a while also survives your 10km fall. And unless you're claiming that anyone that does a line of cocaine automatically becomes an addict, I fail to see any automatic adverse effects there, either.

IglooDude said:
Trimming the nose hairs of your generalization doesn't make it any less goofy.

No, some things can't be less than zero.

IglooDude said:
There are millions of Americans (including me) that are "social drinkers" that haven't experienced any adverse effects more significant than a hangover, and in fact the glass-of-wine-with-dinner types are showing up in medical research as having positive health effects from that bit of wine. Certainly anyone who does not contract lung cancer while continuing to smoke tobacco or marijuana qualifies. For that matter, the person who has a pot-laced brownie on a party weekend every once in a while also survives your 10km fall. And unless you're claiming that anyone that does a line of cocaine automatically becomes an addict, I fail to see any automatic adverse effects there, either.

Every drug addict started as an occasional user. Sometimes people experience exceptional luck, or die of other causes before the consequences of drug abuse catch up with them.

{|}$~\ said:
Every drug addict started as an occasional user. Sometimes people experience exceptional luck, or die of other causes before the consequences of drug abuse catch up with them.

Every drug addict may have started as an occasional user, but it the converse is false: every occasional user does not end up a drug addict. And I'm not splitting hairs - there are dozens of occasional alcohol users who will never become alcoholics for every alcoholic, to take one drug as an example.

And if you play Russian Roulette with a gun that has dozens of chambers, is that safe?

{|}$~\ said:
Because they leave a path of death, destruction, and tragedy behind them.
No hard drugs do.

Using drugs to treat medical conditions is not abuse. Recreational use of prescription drugs is not medical.
What about the people that get addicted to painkillers from legit perscriptions and then need the pills to feed addiction?

I have never used recreational drugs. So you are correct in assuming that I do not know what it feels like to be in an intoxicated state. Would I be correct in assuming that you do not know what it feels like to pull a 2-month-old baby out of a garbage bin where it had been thrown by its drug-addled mother and was about to be compacted? Would I be correct in assuming that you do not know what it feels like to see a seven-year-old child convinced that he is being pursued by demons after getting into his parents' drug pile six months ago? Would I be correct in assuming that you do not know what it feels like to see an eight-year-old child with permanent brain damage from spending the first five years of her life in a meth lab? Would I be correct in assuming that you do not know what it feels like to be at the memorial services for a five-year-old child attacked with a meat cleaver by his drug-addled nextdoor neighbor? Would I be correct in assuming that you do not know what it feels like to see a three-year-old child crushed by a refrigerator after her drug-addled father pushed it over onto her, convinced that he was being attacked by a goblin?
What you fail to mention is what drugs were these people on when they did this. There is a diffrence between recreational drugs and hard drugs. Save for the meth lab any of those incidents could have done by a drunk or someone on perscribed drugs. What drugs were they on? Were they on recreational drugs? Your dumpster baby is nothing new they also get put in there by sober women. Are all kids who get hurt get hurt by recreational srugg users? Do all recreational drug users mess up kids? Your little stories are more indicitive of hard drug users. Lumping all drugs together is ignorant and so is lumping all users in with the evil ones. Meth, heroin, and crack are not recreational drugs. Excange your anicdotes for some facts or even better first hand expiriance and get back to me. As it is you have no idea what your talking about.

{|}$~\ said:
And if you play Russian Roulette with a gun that has dozens of chambers, is that safe?

:confused: Are you kidding me? Every single recreational activity that I enjoy, that you enjoy, that everyone here enjoys, has an element of risk in it. Some are riskier than others (I'm guessing scuba diving is inherently more dangerous than playing Civ notwithstanding the game addiction possibilities, for example) but they all are Russian Roulette with varying sizes of cylinders.

skadistic said:
There is a diffrence between recreational drugs and hard drugs.

By "recreational drugs" I mean any drug not used for medical purposes.

Save for the meth lab, any of those incidents could have done by a drunk or someone on perscribed drugs.
I also support outlawing alcohol and more careful monitoring of prescriptions.

Your dumpster baby is nothing new, they also get put in there by sober women. Do all kids who get hurt get hurt by recreational drug users?
There are many causes of these things; action must be taken against all of them.

Do all recreational drug users mess up kids?

Too many of them do.

Exchange your anecdotes for some facts, or even better, first hand experience, and get back to me.
What do you mean by "facts" and "first hand experience"

As it is, you have no idea what you're talking about.
No, you have no idea what I'm talking about.

I say legalize them sell them and tax them. there will be no more black market drugs, they will be safer, and no one will have to kill their own mothers to get the money to pay for them. Obviously if you commit crimes while under the influence of drugs you will be charged for those crimes, its not like we'll be giving people get out of jail free cards because they were smoking crack

Top Bottom