1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dual leader first look Gorgo [Greece]

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Haggbart

Haggbart King

So I guess Gilgamesh' crazy ripped body and impressive arms were put in to please female players then?

But I had to watch it again to even notice her breasts, so maybe that says more about you than about the game? ;)

qadams, Ikael, Atlas627 and 2 others like this.
  2. Mort_Q

Mort_Q Prince

They'd just draw from a common list; no need to duplicate anything, since after the Capital it's random anyway.

Think Alternate History rather than History; it's not like Japan every shared a continent with Kongo in real history. I see Civil War scenarios aplenty in the future.

Atlas627 likes this.
  3. SpaceCommunist

SpaceCommunist Warlord

What's exciting about this for me is the modding potential behind this. Gorgo clearly has at least three, possibly four differences (excluding leader ability and agenda):

1. Different background. This should add a bit of personality to each leader (as well as make sure not all Russian leaders are standing in front of an unfinished fleet :p)

2. Different capital. This may mean a different city list altogether, but even if that's not the case, it at least means Berlin can be a capital again (possibly the same for Philadelphia if Washington is added as DLC). It gives a potential added importance to cities like Tokyo, Nanjing, St. Petersburg/Petrograd, etc.

3. Different colour scheme. A very nice feature, especially for leaders who are associated with colours conflicting with the ones we've seen so far (i.e. it'd be pretty hard to associate Lenin with yellow and black, the colours of an ancap...)

4. Possibly different civ icon. We don't see what icon Gorgo has for Greece, but in all likelihood it's either Pericles' icon with different colours or a Lambda icon instead. Either way, that opens the door for different leaders to have their own individual icons, which I am absolutely stoked for (assuming that is the case).

All in all, this looks really good for modding potential. I gotta hand it to Firaxis - they've done a superb job. :D

racha, Atlas627 and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  4. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I also had to go back and look again to see it. It's definitely not of the same caliber as DoA volleyball jiggle physics or anything. I think it's tasteful enough and not offensive.

narmox and Lord Shadow like this.
  5. Monbijou

Monbijou Chieftain

I bet by the time Persia comes out, we may get both leaders, Cyrus and Xerxes ;):D, and a scenario for both.

6. Mort_Q

Mort_Q Prince

I watched again too, as I didn't recall seeing anything. I didn't see a jiggle at all to be honest, just a torso rotation. Not an issue in my mind; I wasn't staring at her chest to begin with.

7. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Emperor

I hope that the civ icon would remain. Allow for the color swap but the icon is supposed to be for the civ, so I think it should stay static. The leader flair should showcase elsewhere, which they may have done. Some Spartan hopies had their iconic Lamda on their shields, which was not present in any of the Pericles hopies.

8. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

I decided to go check this for myself, and the shield designs do change, at least from what I can gather from the First Look videos, the Spartan Hoplites do have the lamda on one of the shields.

9. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Nice minor changes, but minor changes nonetheless. I like Gorgo's animation but wish the animators had more imagination than to rip off the 300 version of Gorgo. Her dress is almost exactly the same, and I think someone posted it in a thread in this forum (the red framed with gold, the belt, etc).

10. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

It is indeed extremely subtle. Nothing to seriously complain about.

As for Gorgo's Greece, for optimum effect, if it were to exist alongside Pericles', then her civ should be renamed Sparta and his Athens for the duration of the game, with their corresponding adjectives. Otherwise things might get confusing.

In all likelihood, they'll have separate city lists, but ideally they should share the same one (longer than average) while disallowing duplicates.

11. Civbra

Civbra Warlord

I only Know one thing for sure, this first 4 DLCs - for the whom buy the deluxe edition at least come for "free" - but prepare your pockets cause seems to me, this time we'll have a tons of DLC coming! There are so many possibilities!

12. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Emperor

They will defiantly tell us how that works in the Livestream. So shouldn't be long til we know for sure.

13. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I'm still just hoping that extra leaders doesn't mean that we'll get fewer distinct civs than we would have gotten otherwise. Would rather have new "nations" than five American leaders and four Russians and three Germanies and four Englands.

Veras likes this.
  14. SpaceCommunist

SpaceCommunist Warlord

I disagree - it would be much better for the civ icon to change depending on the leader, as that could, in its own way, reflect the period of that civs history well. For example, if America were to receive Washington, Jefferson, or any other "founding father" as a leader, it'd be more fitting to give America the thirteen stars of the original flag as an icon instead of the much more contemporary shield icon that you'd see on highways.

Similarly, some icons wouldn't make sense for some leaders to have. In Russia, for example, it wouldn't make sense for the civ to retain the Romanov crest as its icon for leaders past 1917, no? Or for pre-imperial Roman leaders, the crown of a Roman emperor wouldn't be very fitting.

Besides, allowing for the civ icon to change between leaders would open up another avenue when it comes to modding, for those modders who want to dedicate a civ more to a leader than to its general history.

I say there's no problem with some leaders of the same civ sharing the same icon, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to change the icon for different leaders at all.

Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  15. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Emperor

Well that is an absolute certainty. Multiple leaders means someone is getting cut. Really though, its gonna have to be viewed on the whole. So will multiple leaders mean the eventual pool of civs will significantly hurt or we will miss out on a lot of civs, no I highly doubt that.

16. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

While I'd like it if the icon is not per civ but per leader, how would you explain Barbarossa's iron cross? Doesn't fit at all, the grey color seems strange too. I never thought this before, because I thought icons and colors are not tied to the leader, but the civ. Saladin's palm seems less than optimal too. And Felipe's bull icon... (yes, that again, but how would you connect the bull with Felipe?).

17. Nightsong

Nightsong Warlord

I don't really mind as the extent of what we have for how Gorgo looked are a few statues that may or may not be a depiction of her. So Firaxis needed source material from somewhere and it looks like they used a mix of the statues and how she was depicted in the 300 films.

18. ButtBillionaire

ButtBillionaire Warlord

This confirmation of alternate leaders really gives me hope for possibly having a more modern leader for Norway, in addition to Hardrada, e.g. Einar Gerhardsen or Olav V. I still want to hear modern Norwegian spoken by a Civ leader, despite how amusing it was to hear the Viking units speak Norwegian in IV.

19. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

Which is exactly the point of packaging it as DLC. Buy the parts you want. Don't buy the parts you don't want.

20. SpaceCommunist

SpaceCommunist Warlord

I do think that a lot of the current icons - as you said, the Bull, the Iron Cross, etc. - fit more for he civ than the leader themselves, but I think that would just make it more poignant and distinguishing for DLC leaders to have their own icons.

And besides, there's no reason why some leaders can't share the same icons; still, I think certain leaders really should have different icons, considering their backgrounds and the time periods in which they ruled.

I'm also going to assume some of the icons for leaders we've seen so far are more fitting for the civ than the leader because Firaxis wanted to hint at but hide the Gorgo reveal. Aachen being Germany's capital was a big hint, but to have given Frederick his own icon would be too big a giveaway for multiple leaders.