Dune Wars : Game 2 - Arrakis. Desert Planet.

Which Civ You'd like to see us playing for in this 2nd game:

• House Ordos

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • House Harkonnen

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • House Ix

• Bene Gesserit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bene Tleilaxu

• House Corrino

• Fremen

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • House Ecaz

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hey guys. Like other people, I have been pretty busy this week.

I should have time to play a turn on Sunday sometime.

Thanks for the pointer. That is also closely related. The examples are for FFH, which is good; I was worried that most of these were only for vanilla. What I want to do is just slightly different than Many Leaders; that has a single map with all the leaders, so each player has a different start coordinate. This means the results may vary based on how good/bad the start coordinates are. For FFH, since many of the civs are terrain-based, this makes sense. For DW, I will create one map for each civ, where the player civ is always at the same start location. This will eliminate one variable regarding the goodness of the location.

Once I get a stable 1.7 out, then I will work on this.

I would think the main issues with this Many Leaders thing are:
a) Variation in player skill is probably higher than variation in faction power - particularly if you're getting people who are new to the mod and aren't familiar with a lot of the intricacies. Many people also prefer to play for "roleplay" rather than play-to-win in a singleplayer mode.
b) The time requirements for reporting are very high. If people reported at the same level of detail as for a succession game, then the requirement on a player to do this would be 5x as high as the requirements for a 5-player succession game.

So you would need to think clearly about what to report (would players just report say score/commerce/beaker+gold income etc at various points through the game?), and then how to interpret this across players.

An interesting idea though!

Probably I would ask people to post their save at the end of the game ("Just .. one .. more .. turn") and then I could extract all the statistics I want. If one player tries the game multiple times with different civs, that player could then report which ones seemed easier. At least it would rule out variations in start position.

Nice set AP! Looks like you manage to do a really good job balancing progress on the tech tree and keeping us competitive militarily.

Also good to see the terraforming progressing at pace.

I agree with moving to airpower next, the carryalls by themselfs are worth it for extra troop movement. After that maybe planetary ecology for the deep wells?

Regarding a vassal, does our terraforming work in their territory? If it does not then I think we should avoid subjugating other civs, and just go for annihilation. “Never forgive! Never forget!”

Regarding a vassal, does our terraforming work in their territory?

Today, it does not. Only your own terraformed plots count against the victory criteria. It has been suggested that half your vassals' count should be added, but I have not made that change yet.

Regarding a vassal, does our terraforming work in their territory? If it does not then I think we should avoid subjugating other civs, and just go for annihilation. “Never forgive! Never forget!”

Today, it does not. Only your own terraformed plots count against the victory criteria. It has been suggested that half your vassals' count should be added, but I have not made that change yet.

I think this question is about the terraforming process itself, not the victory criteria. I believe the terraformation is changing the whole planet not only our land.

I think this question is about the terraforming process itself, not the victory criteria. I believe the terraformation is changing the whole planet not only our land.

To clarify:
1) You being Arrakis Paradise civic does not cause terraforming to happen in your vassal's territory. Your catchbasins/reservoirs do not affect terraforming rates in your vassals territory if they happen to be arrakis paradise.
Terraforming does not occur planet-wide, it occurs ONLY in the territory of those players who have the Arrakis Paradise civic.
2) The victory condition depends on terraformed territory only within your borders. Terraformed tiles anywhere else on the planet (including in your vassals' borders) do not count towards the victory condition.

I had time for 10 turns. Our newest city.

Corrino & Tleilax are in war. I think we don't want to join the war if they ask.

Offworld Trade is in. I started 2 landing stages for happy resources. Ix already has Pundirice and Ginaz training school.

Smugglers cleared.

Long way to go :p

I think we should focus on economy, after Guild Banking we can go for Water Discipline.
Please keep harvest spice and build Desalinators with workers.

Spoiler :
Logging by Dune Wars 1.6.5 (BtS 3.19)
------------------------------------------------
Turn 230 (15041 AD) [12-Dec-2009 17:19:18]

After End Turn:
A Village was built near Gara Kulon
Yatsa Pass grows to size 5
Sahnin Pass finishes: Barracks
Hobars Gap grows to size 6

Other Player Actions:
Ixian Spice Firm founded in a distant land

Turn 231 (15051 AD) [12-Dec-2009 17:39:07]
65% Research: 267 per turn
0% Influence: 211 per turn
0% Espionage: 26 per turn
35% Solaris: -37 per turn, 187 in the bank
Sahnin Pass begins: Master Guardsman (5 turns)
A Cottage was built near Windgap Sietch
A Cottage was built near Sietch Tabr

After End Turn:
Gara Kulon finishes: Theater Hall
Azrak Pan finishes: Grenade Trooper
A Hamlet was built near Coanua
Windgap Sietch's borders expand
Windgap Sietch finishes: Barracks
Hobars Gap finishes: Refinery
Bikouros Sietch grows to size 3

Other Player Actions:
Tleilax Spice Firm founded in a distant land
Attitude Change: Leto II (Atreides) towards Princess Wensicia (Corrino), from 'Cautious' to 'Pleased'

Turn 232 (15061 AD) [12-Dec-2009 17:50:38]
65% Research: 269 per turn
0% Influence: 214 per turn
0% Espionage: 26 per turn
35% Solaris: -34 per turn, 150 in the bank
Gara Kulon begins: Worker (3 turns)
Azrak Pan begins: Water Shipper (11 turns)
Windgap Sietch begins: Water Shipper (9 turns)
Hobars Gap begins: Tribunal (9 turns)
A Spice Harvester was built near Chapterhouse

After End Turn:
Tech research finished: Desert Industry
Sietch Tabr finishes: Settler
Fogwood Landing grows to size 10
Tasmin Sink finishes: Tribunal

Other Player Actions:
A Spice Harvester was destroyed
A Spice Harvester was destroyed near Yatsa Pass
Attitude Change: Leto II (Atreides) towards Rhombur Vernius (Ix), from 'Cautious' to 'Pleased'

Turn 233 (15071 AD) [12-Dec-2009 18:00:23]
65% Research: 264 per turn
0% Influence: 214 per turn
0% Espionage: 28 per turn
35% Solaris: -40 per turn, 117 in the bank
Research begun: Spice Industry (3 Turns)
Research begun: Offworld Trade (3 Turns)
Sietch Tabr begins: Worker (2 turns)
Tasmin Sink begins: House Library (7 turns)
A Desert Plantation was built near Cahueit Caves

After End Turn:
Sietch Makab finishes: Vulture Thopter
Fogwood Landing finishes: Landsraad Outpost
Tasmin Sink grows to size 9
Hobars Gap grows to size 7

Turn 234 (15081 AD) [12-Dec-2009 18:06:57]
50% Research: 222 per turn
0% Influence: 220 per turn
50% Solaris: -4 per turn, 117 in the bank
Sietch Makab begins: Theater Hall (3 turns)
Fogwood Landing begins: Worker (3 turns)
A Desert Plantation was built near Umbu Sietch

After End Turn:
Sietch Tabr finishes: Worker
A Village was built near Gara Kulon
Gara Kulon finishes: Worker
Sahnin Pass grows to size 10
Coanua finishes: Water Shipper
Windgap Sietch grows to size 9
A Hamlet was built near Windgap Sietch
A Hamlet was built near Tasmin Sink
Umbu Sietch grows to size 5
Cahueit Caves finishes: Deathstill

Other Player Actions:
A Spice Harvester was destroyed near Chapterhouse
A Spice Harvester was destroyed

Turn 235 (15091 AD) [12-Dec-2009 18:16:19]
50% Research: 218 per turn
0% Influence: 222 per turn
50% Solaris: -8 per turn, 810 in the bank
Sietch Tabr begins: Feudal Estate (4 turns)
Gara Kulon begins: Worker (3 turns)
Chapterhouse begins: Worker (3 turns)
Coanua begins: Barracks (4 turns)
Cahueit Caves begins: Tribunal (36 turns)

After End Turn:
Tech research finished: Spice Industry
Sietch Makab finishes: Theater Hall
Sietch Abbir finishes: Water Shipper
Sahnin Pass finishes: Master Guardsman
Coanua grows to size 7
Bikouros Sietch finishes: Greenhouse

Turn 236 (15101 AD) [12-Dec-2009 18:27:44]
75% Research: 310 per turn
0% Influence: 225 per turn
25% Solaris: -68 per turn, 738 in the bank
Sietch Makab begins: Master Guardsman (4 turns)
Sietch Abbir begins: Master Guardsman (4 turns)
Sahnin Pass begins: Water Shipper (11 turns)
Bikouros Sietch begins: Tribunal (26 turns)
A Spice Harvester was built near Umbu Sietch
Master Guardsman promoted: City Garrison I
Djedida Pan founded
Djedida Pan begins: Deathstill (41 turns)
Djedida Pan begins: Tribunal (180 turns)

After End Turn:
Gara Kulon finishes: Worker
Sietch Makab grows to size 11
Chapterhouse finishes: Worker
Yatsa Pass finishes: Grenade Trooper
A Hamlet was built near Coanua
Fogwood Landing finishes: Worker
Bikouros Sietch grows to size 4
Red Pass's borders expand

Turn 237 (15111 AD) [12-Dec-2009 18:37:34]
80% Research: 337 per turn
0% Influence: 229 per turn
20% Solaris: -98 per turn, 652 in the bank
Gara Kulon begins: Master Guardsman (4 turns)
Chapterhouse begins: Master Guardsman (3 turns)
Yatsa Pass begins: Catchbasin (9 turns)
Fogwood Landing begins: Master Guardsman (4 turns)
A Wind Trap was built near Cahueit Caves
A Surface Mine was built near Hobars Gap
A Spice Harvester was built near Umbu Sietch

After End Turn:
Sietch Tabr grows to size 14
Sietch Tabr finishes: Feudal Estate
A Village was built near Sietch Makab
Sietch Abbir's borders expand
Great Scientist born in Chapterhouse

Turn 238 (15121 AD) [12-Dec-2009 18:46:54]
80% Research: 343 per turn
0% Influence: 235 per turn
20% Solaris: -93 per turn, 557 in the bank
Sietch Tabr begins: Master Guardsman (3 turns)
Hobars Gap begins: Catchbasin (6 turns)

After End Turn:
Sietch Makab finishes: Master Guardsman
Sietch Abbir finishes: Master Guardsman
Chapterhouse finishes: Master Guardsman
Coanua finishes: Barracks
Tasmin Sink finishes: House Library
A Hamlet was built near Tasmin Sink
Hobars Gap grows to size 8
Cahueit Caves grows to size 2

Other Player Actions:
Princess Wensicia (Corrino) declares war on Goya Solidar (Bene Tleilax)
Attitude Change: Goya Solidar (Bene Tleilax) towards Princess Wensicia (Corrino), from 'Cautious' to 'Annoyed'
Attitude Change: Princess Wensicia (Corrino) towards Goya Solidar (Bene Tleilax), from 'Pleased' to 'Cautious'

Turn 239 (15131 AD) [12-Dec-2009 18:56:32]
75% Research: 342 per turn
0% Influence: 239 per turn
25% Solaris: -75 per turn, 480 in the bank
Sietch Makab begins: Feudal Estate (4 turns)
Sietch Abbir begins: Master Guardsman (4 turns)
Chapterhouse begins: Master Guardsman (3 turns)
Coanua begins: Aerie (5 turns)
Tasmin Sink begins: Water Shipper (10 turns)
A Wind Trap was built near Red Pass
A Spice Harvester was built

After End Turn:
Tech research finished: Offworld Trade
Sietch Tabr finishes: Master Guardsman
Azrak Pan grows to size 10
A Town was built near Takim
Fogwood Landing finishes: Master Guardsman
Windgap Sietch finishes: Water Shipper
Tasmin Sink grows to size 10
Tasmin Sink's borders expand
Hobars Gap finishes: Tribunal
A Hamlet was built near Umbu Sietch
Red Pass finishes: Deathstill

Turn 240 (15141 AD) [12-Dec-2009 19:07:02]
75% Research: 349 per turn
0% Influence: 241 per turn
0% Espionage: 30 per turn
25% Solaris: -83 per turn, 398 in the bank
Diplomacy: Rhombur Vernius (Ix) offers to trade Open Borders to Liet-Kynes (Fremen) for Open Borders
Diplomacy: Liet-Kynes (Fremen) rejects trade of Open Borders to Rhombur Vernius (Ix) for Open Borders
Research begun: Guild Banking (6 Turns)
Sietch Tabr begins: Landing Stage (6 turns)
Fogwood Landing begins: Landing Stage (9 turns)
Windgap Sietch begins: Master Guardsman (4 turns)
Red Pass begins: Tribunal (23 turns)
Fogwood Landing begins: Aerie (4 turns)
Chapterhouse begins: Landing Stage (8 turns)
While attacking, Maula Mortar decimates Arrakeen Infantry (Prob Victory: 94.8%)
While attacking in Arrakeen territory at Tuono, Maula Mortar (3.50/5) defeats Arrakeen Infantry (Prob Victory: 94.8%)
Maula Mortar promoted: City Raider II
While attacking, Maula Mortar decimates Arrakeen Infantry (Prob Victory: 99.8%)
While attacking in Arrakeen territory at Tuono, Maula Mortar (3.70/5) defeats Arrakeen Infantry (Prob Victory: 99.8%)
While attacking, Crysknife Fighter decimates Arrakeen Infantry (Prob Victory: 97.4%)
While attacking in Arrakeen territory at Tuono, Crysknife Fighter (4.00/4) defeats Arrakeen Infantry (Prob Victory: 97.4%)
Captured Tuono (Smugglers)
Razed Tuono
Tuono lost
A Spice Harvester was built near Cahueit Caves
A Desalinator was destroyed near Gara Kulon
A Desalinator was built near Gara Kulon

Attachments

• Liet-Kynes AD-15141.CivBeyondSwordSave
    397 KB · Views: 71
Why not go after the Corrino? We can easily capture their only landing stage near us, and if the Tleilax become their vassals we're going to be surrounded. After all, they don't want us as masters because our land is too far away, so capturing the city just NW of our empire may make us closer to them.
All we need is Fanaticism for blademen and Air Power.

Wow, good to know Wensica declared at pleased... that's almost as cutthroat as a human;)

Why not go after the Corrino? We can easily capture their only landing stage near us, and if the Tleilax become their vassals we're going to be surrounded. After all, they don't want us as masters because our land is too far away, so capturing the city just NW of our empire may make us closer to them.
All we need is Fanaticism for blademen and Air Power.

Certainly it would be nice to declare on Wensica before she gets the Tleilax as a vassel so that we avoid the plague, but we really are not ready for an offensive war right now. Are you suggesting declaring now for distraction purposes and then getting Fanaticism, air power or getting an army and then declaring?

Leto is in WHEOOH mode. I would wait until he declares on somebody and join on his side for the diplo +.
If we attack Corrino, we can expect Harkonnen backstab, they are friends.

If I were to guess, Leto is going to be outclassed very soon in land and power and will probably vassalize to Ix. (This is one problem of the AI, that they just build as much as it is safe without war and by then it's too late to expand, viz. the Tleilax who started on a small island and got blocked by us and Corrino soon. Even the Fremen who can travel through desert without suspensor transport AND cheap troops with Fremen Water Debt don't go found cities in other islands)

Distraction is not bad, and even if the Harkonnen declare on us we can easily capture a city or two from them and make peace, since our eastern border cities are fairly productive.

The other thing to do is to found a city next to the Tleilax and let our power awe them (maybe even gift them some resources now) into vassalizing spontaneously while we build an army against Corrino.

Ahriman pointed out terraformed tiles on vassal's territory doesn't count for our victory. Hence we shouldn't get vassals.

The victory conditions picture claims that you control just 2 terraformed tiles, but 3 pictures back (the one centered on Sietch Makab) shows 7 such tiles in just that area and the picture before that (showing the new Djedida Pan) has some more in the upper right.

What's up with that?

There are two levels of terraforming: anchor grass, and grassland. The graphics are different but apparently still not different enough. If you can see patchy brown underneath the green, then it is anchor grass and it does not count towards the total. It has to upgrade one more level before it is grassland; only grassland is counted towards the total.

Ahriman pointed out terraformed tiles on vassal's territory doesn't count for our victory. Hence we shouldn't get vassals.

I agree. There can be no mercy!

There are two levels of terraforming: anchor grass, and grassland. The graphics are different but apparently still not different enough. If you can see patchy brown underneath the green, then it is anchor grass and it does not count towards the total. It has to upgrade one more level before it is grassland; only grassland is counted towards the total.

Maybe if the sword grass was a yellowy brown like a lawn that has not been watered over the summer the difference would stand out better.

Ah. You have to have many plots that have each been randomly converted twice. No wonder people have been saying it takes forever. (I haven't played a version with this victory condition yet - just the old "build enough reservoirs and you win" version, which was way to easy).

It takes almost as long as a cultural victory. I just finished a game as Corrino and I let the Fremen convert 88 tiles, and I myself had 20 something tiles. You really need Reservoirs of Liet to speed things up (I had the biggest empire by far while they were 2nd)--I didn't build any of them.

Top Bottom