eldar01 - What's The Story?

If we move it north one, it will lose an ivory and the rice, making an already food poor city even worse. It'll also overlap 2 tiles with our capital, AND it will no longer be on the river. Will the copper not be just inside Bibracte's borders once they pop again (which is pretty soon)?

Keep in mind that if Wang acquires a tech we get it too, so Alphabet is a winner all around. And we can tell Wang what to research, so depending on the relative beaker counts, and you can review his city screen to find that out, it may work to send him after Alphabet while we clean up the cheap techs, then share the remaining research on letters. Or send him after the cheap stuff while we work on Alphabet.

Does Wang have any copper in his neighborhood?

I'd settle the red city 1 north, to get the copper immediately. Otherwise we'll be waiting an age for it to pop its borders. With raging barbs, Axemen are a must ASAP.
I agree about the need for copper, but moving it one north? Losing the rice is not nice :(, offcourse lossing a conquest to the Barbs is even less nice....
How about going for Archery for primary defence?

I think chopping/building an obelisk while getting some archers for defence will do. Even on raging the first barbs are warriors and archers where we can promote up to Combat + Shock, to face the first few Axemen. By then the borders should pop and connect the copper asap (make sure to pre-road it). Moving it one north IMHO is not an option.

I did pick up the game and played 20 turns, the save can be found here

I start of my turnset to change research, I want to know where the Iron is ASAP and possibly stop my set there to discuss. So I ask Wang to research IW with me.

While researching it I kill a barb warrior and our archer picks up Combat 1.
Judaism is founded as we discover IW.

Iron didnt really change anything I think, so I continued on... This is the neighbourhood....

Meanwhile Wang is having some Barb issues as we research the remainder of writing and Wang starts on AH, he can use the cow pasture!

Our settler is out and about, the Archer that I inserted before the settler (Isa's archer + barb activity left me worried to leave the capitol undefended) went ahead and finds that there is a barb at our location, this location btw also suggested by the blue circel :)

Turn 68 the town of Vienne is founded on the proper spot and starts an Obelisk, which will take 15 turns.

I did take the spiritual time to revolt to Slavery but havent whipped anything yet... But at the end of my turnset I think Bibracte has reached the perfect whipping time....

The food is at the half way point, the perfect point to finish a Granary and fill it. I allready put 1 turn into it, but it is currently queed after the Archer.

Wang has IMHO some screwed up settling priorites, look where he is taking his settler :(

And I leave Paul in a little pickle which should be pretty easily cleared up by our archer. I had intended the worker in the NW to be farming the first Fants for the food, but the barbs got in the way so I started roading between Bibracte and Vienne instead.

OK. I open the save to find there are 585 turns remaining. I’ll play 15 and bring it down to a nice round and even number. Besides, I’m not sure I’m up to 20 tonight.

Wang is doing a great job militarily, motivated I’m sure by the barb archers menacing him. He’s a bit slow to get his 2nd city up and running, and it certainly appears to be in a SPECULATIVE position, if not downright crappy. Oh well, his choice I guess. Actually I’m guessing he’s doing it to be closer to us. Awww, ain’t that nice?

We have a minor barb infestation near our copper city, but that should be easy enough to deal with.

Whipping the granary would cost 2 pop at this point, but as pointed out the regrowth would be quick, and overflow would finish our archer smartly. I’ll do it, and intend to pair up the archer with a settler so we can get to 3 cities and start building the GW.

Mr. Whippy.

Turn 1 (1720 BC):

IBT our archer in Vienne squished a barb archer and warrior, leaving him 2.8/3 and earning a promotion, which I save for ron when he might need it more.

Bibracte > Granary > Archer (4)

Bibracte’s borders pop, sending Lizzie’s archer packing.

Couple more barbs around, nothing we can’t handle.

Turn 2 (1690 BC):

Toad want’s OB. Hmm. I say yes for now. If she wants to distract barbs in our territory, good luck to her.

Vienne is hooked up to Bibracte. Yay.

There are barb archers on the move. I’m lamenting the fact that we only have one worker. I’d really like to chop a forested hill near Bibracte to move things along, but we also need to farm those phants. My concern is that if I send the worker down to the phants, we don’t really have the defence to back him up if we’re attacked from 2 sides. Just now I’m going to take 1 forest for Bibracte, sorry if you all disagree. We need the prod boost.

Move Vienne’s archer out onto a hill to prevent road pillage.

Turn 3 (1660 BC):

IBT: Archer defeats barb archer, with 1.6 to spare. I use the owing promotion (Garrison I) to bring him up to 2.3 and return to the city.

Animal Husbandry > Mathematics (23 with Wang’s help).

I also have to move Bibracte’s archer out onto the gold mine for fear of losing that.

Maths for the chop yield, eventual cats and path to maces.

Turn 4 (1630 BC):

Archer def barb archer (0.8). I give him Guerilla because I think he’ll be doing some hill defending (Bibracte is on a hill) and he comes up to 1.9. Go home and heal, arrowsponge.

Turn 5 (1600 BC):

Bibracte > Archer > Worker (10) <<< just grown, plus chop will help

I like the look of the clam city. Easy to defend too, so I think we should head for that with a settler after this worker, but that will be up to the next, better player.

Turn 6 (1570 BC):

:coffee:

Turn 7 (1540 BC):

Chop brings worker down to 5 turns. A barb archer will suicide on Vienne IBT.

Turn 8 (1510 BC):

Archer def without taking a scratch. Warrior in the NW will not be a problem.

I continue the cottage spamming in Bibracte. The second worker can go and help Vienne. Bib’s second archer heads up to protect the worker, and hopefully pick up some valuable XP.

Turn 9 (1480 BC):

Barb warrior moves closer. I have 92.7% to take him out and probably gain 2XP instead of 1. I go for it. He wins without taking a scratch and earns his 2XP for a promotion next turn. :cool:

Turn 10 (1450 BC):

I’ll save the promotion again. Another barb warrior on the horizon, otherwise :coffee:.

Turn 11 (1420 BC):

Decide to force the issue with the barb and do a little exploring in the NW.

Turn 12 (1390 BC):

Bibracte > Worker > Settler (17)
Vienne > Monument > Archer (19) <<< Will grow next turn though.

I move the new worker to the copper to build a road in anticipation of the border pop.

Turn 13 (1360 BC):

IBT barb warrior suicides on our archer (2.6). I give him his promotion to combat 1 to heal him to 2.8 and continue looking around.

Turn 14 (1330 BC):

:coffee:

Turn 15 (1300 BC):

Cottage finishes, as does road, so next player has 2 free workers to direct.

There are no barbs in sight, and all I found in the NW was some iron in a fairly dodgy city site.

Apologies for the lack of visuals, but really, there wasn’t much to show.

Here’s how we look:

And here’s the save:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/83026/Eldar_the_Great_BC-1300.CivWarlordsSave

Clam city is looking pretty good with the addition of horses too.
But maybe our 3rd city should be by the gold and pigs up towards the English, to prevent them expanding too close to us - it looks like vicky is blocked into a horrid tundra corner which will simplify things for us. I'm no longer sure of getting the GW - we've waited a long time for it. If we are going to build it, it'll have to be very soon. If not, we need to work on getting some more archers as the barb axemen will be making an appearance pretty soon. Might be worth getting walls (Dun) in Vienne? We have a worker sitting on our copper which as yet is not in our borders. Now that it has a road, he could be making a camp on the ivory while we wait for them to pop.

Wang's second city is unbelievably bad :)

Looks like we hold the stone on this island at least, so why not make a run for the Great Wall?

In my expereince the AI has a tendency to ignore, or at least delay, both the Pyramids and the Wall unless they hold workable stone.

Looking good so far with both copper and iron in reach and more food than you can shake a stick at.

My eyes may deceive me, but couldn't we grab iron, gold and corn to the SW of our capital? Settle NE of the iron?

Darn, I'm going to have to play and really ruin this game? All good things come to an end, I guess... got it, but I can't play until tomorrow evening.

I played 20 turns, and well... let's just say we have a bit of difficulty:

Spoiler Heeeelp! :

As you can see, the Barbarians are taking over. Here's how it happened...
Spoiler turnlog :

User comment: Pre-flight: Not much to do, it seems, except start the next turn.

Turn 91 (1270 BC)

Turn 92 (1240 BC)
Archer defeats (3.00/3): Barbarian Warrior

Turn 93 (1210 BC)

Turn 94 (1180 BC)

Turn 95 (1150 BC)
Archer defeats (2.10/3): Barbarian Warrior
Archer loses to: Barbarian Archer (0.39/3)
Vienne lost

Turn 96 (1120 BC)
User comment: Yuck - an unpromoted Barb Archer kills the fortified CG2 Archer in Vienne and takes the city!! Curse you, RNG! Bibracte gets set to an Archer, we want that city back.
Bibracte begins: Archer

Turn 97 (1090 BC)
User comment: Whip the Archer out of Bibracte.
Bibracte finishes: Archer

Turn 98 (1060 BC)
Bibracte begins: Archer

Turn 99 (1030 BC)
Archer defeats (1.20/3): Barbarian Warrior
User comment: Now that Barb Archer has Combat II. We're gonna need a bigger boat!
User comment: And Coventry has been founded to the north, stealing our Horses and Wines.

Turn 100 (1000 BC)
Archer promoted: Cover
Bibracte grows: 3
Archer defeats (1.20/3): Barbarian Archer
Worker loses to: Barbarian Warrior (2.00/2)

Turn 101 (985 BC)
User comment: Love the way the graphics hide units so well in terrain. I didn't spot a Barb warrior until it jumped a worker. Grr.
Research begun: Construction
User comment: Research set to Construction, we could do with 'pults, but it's a long way away.

Turn 102 (970 BC)
User comment: There are now 2 Barb Archers in Vienne, another just outside as well as a warrior. Blimey.

Turn 103 (955 BC)
Archer defeats (2.52/3): Barbarian Warrior
Archer defeats (2.22/3): Barbarian Warrior
Archer defeats (2.22/3): Barbarian Warrior
Archer loses to: Barbarian Archer (1.86/3)

Turn 104 (940 BC)
Archer promoted: Cover

Turn 105 (925 BC)
Bibracte finishes: Archer

Turn 106 (910 BC)
User comment: Good, 4 Archers in there now, one with Combat II, one CG1, the other two unpromoted.
Bibracte begins: Barracks
Archer defeats (1.38/3): Barbarian Archer
Archer loses to: Barbarian Archer (2.43/3)

Turn 107 (895 BC)
Archer defeats (1.26/3): Barbarian Archer

Turn 108 (880 BC)

Turn 109 (865 BC)
Archer defeats (1.08/3): Barbarian Archer

Turn 110 (850 BC)

The RNG hates me, I swear. So we hunker down in Bibracte with a pair of injured Archers, and pray....

Attachments

• Eldar_the_Great_BC-850.CivWarlordsSave
    65.4 KB · Views: 55
Top Bottom