EltNES: THIS World is Yours

Swaho sat rubbing his temples. He had pushed away the plate of venison and bowl of chick pea stew when he got the news. He would have them throw the scraps to the ogre he kept as a pet, for whenever someone needed to disappear. Keeping the thing starved kept it viscious.

The King would not like this news. Their lifeline to the Teiden and the rest of the Irilenes had been cut, and with it went their ability to summon armies from Iris, and their immunity from the tribesmen of Krutargga. They had not received a message from the homelands in a few months, and it was almost winter.

"Bring me a scribe. I would rather a messenger brought this news to the King, but if I must, I will take the news to him myself. Best have it written that I might not stutter."

The Boyking of Ari was an arrogant, unwizened fool. Swaho had wished the mother had chosen a Regent, rather than trusting her tool of a son to the throne. Some things were apparently destined to be. Like this unfortunate series of events, perhaps.

"Why have the messengers stopped, Swaho?"

The boy would surely ask.

"We don't know, most wise King. We suppose perhaps pirates, or an Ogre party in the east."

"Send our own messengers to find out, then,"

The boy would say.

"We have already, my Lord, to no avail."

Stupid boy. He never read the reports Swaho nor any of his other advisors offere, preferring instead to attend to the duties of his latest harem.

"Well then, send more. If you have to send a fist of spearmen to clear whatever obstructions stop all attempts at communication."

"As you command, my Lord."

Better to send a fist of horse, but the boy would listen to neither wisdom nor common sense. A fist of spearmen it would have to be.

After the fact, Swaho had decided to leave with the party of Spearmen, on the long march around the round coast. Months later they had arrived. They met a Gurkish contingent the first day beyond the Gellir Ridge, long beyond what he had been told was their sphere of control. After a devastating battle, the captured Gurks answered folly to his question. Talk of an invasion, ten-thousand fold, whole tribes moving onto the Teiden river, burning and sacking Irilene and Obayonid villages as they went.

Swaho would never make it as far as Iris. He would be killed by a stray arrow from a Gurkish marksman, but fortunately he had ordered a handful of Spearmen back to Ari. They would learn of the travesties in the Teiden valley, and send help. Or maybe not. Foolish Boyking.

Busying myself with non-important distractions whilst I wait for a phone call.

Largest religions in terms of adherents:

1: Wengi!
2: Firism
3: Teinism
4: Malkieri Polytheism

....532: Coentak

Oddly enough there are only 5 religions in the world! If people want to write about them, or even add more, or cause some schisms, that is super cool. :0

Wengi-Statues

"tunaomba kwa wengi kwa ajili ya mali na nguvu"
Wengist chant​

Oddly enough the gods that the Swiech of the Mashariki Seas worship so fervently are not Swiech at all. Perhaps in what is the most astounding cultural development in a society so small, undeveloped, and brutal is their depiction as the "Wengi," the unknowable Swiech pantheon, as tall, faceless figures not all that unlike humans in shape and size.

It is common tradition for Wengist to smash the faces off of any statue depicting one of their strange gods. It is also common tradition for Wengists to deck their stone statues in all kinds of gold and gem-laden finery. Most Swiech keep a small collection of Wengi-statues in their home so as to always be under Their presence, and a Swiech's wealth can be easily determined by the splendor of his home's Wengi-statues.

Just a small blurb on one aspect of Wengi!

Hmm, interesting. Almost as if these statues were not of the gods at all, and in fact were just found somewhere....11

EDIT: Orders: 5 points

4 points: City Walls around Iris, post-Gurkish occupation.
1 point: Bank.

5/9 orders.

Orders: 22 points
Give 3 to Nutra so he can do whatever big thing he has planned
10 points: Turn both Shur'Tearg and Swi'woh into cities (or really just a much larger gathering of Krutarg)
7 points: create Religion in the Shur'Tearg area, Sha'Telkug: The deity in Sha'Telkug is the Earth itself but not so much in the way of a "god" but more of a Feng Shui type of thing. They believe that there are natural energies throughout the earth and manifest as minerals. As such the Krutarg who follow Sha'Telkug feel a natural superiority over other species as in their minds they can harness these divine energies with their bodies while others can only shape them with tools. They also believe that all living things store this energy and when they die the energy, and by extension their essence, is returned to the earth. As such they have a reverence for places of burial but not because of respect for the dead but for the energy held within them.
Bank 2

In a bit of a rush but I have decided Update II:XII, unless players vote for sooner, will be the final in the civilization phase. (not much) More on that once we get there?

Also, no new Barbaric races may be created, however existing ones may be expanded or played with however you want. Please feel free to write stories or infoblasts about anything on the map. Run it by me ahead of time and your stories will be CANON.

Bank merciary's gift of 3 points

There will be a reckoning soon enough.

Update XII seems a bit far off, i'd say hack off the last two and make this phase end at update X. Also it sounds cooler.

Gem Hound: Actually, no, we are working on 7, not 5.

nutranurse: Rule of Cool aside, update XII (12) is twice what we have already done. 5 more updates after this one, and we have an end. Unless more than 5 people want it to be number 10 we end at. (Majority rule)

My vote is for the cool vote.

End the phase at 10.

I suppose I vote for Cool Rule, too. Only because of the Fonz, though.

Edit: All votes for or against must include a picture of Arthur Fonzerelli, otherwise they will not be counted.

End the phase at 10.

You have to include your own picture. Jeez. i am GOD-MODDING here Olaf.

All the cool kids are doing it.

Fonzie was cool before he was cool. Hyper-Hipster?

Spoiler unrelated :
NPC The player
Kingdom of the Gurks The "player faction"'s name
Kingdom - King Onos Hjurk II The government and leader therein; usually the person the player should RP as
Factions: size/confidence/power
Gurkish Aristocrats - 3/4/8
Highland Guardsmen - 1/1/3
Firism council - 4/8/5
Irisene Peasants - 8/4/2
Teiden farmers - 9/2/2

Income: 19 Everything you can spend this turn will be listed here. Don't forget to pay your expenses from these funds!

Tax Rate: High Tax rates can be changed to make some factions happy while making others unhappy, or vice versa. See if you can manage the juggling act?
Taxation: 19

Expenses: 15

National: 2 Roads, general infrastructure and government buildings need love too.
Administrative: 2 Enforcing laws, peace, traditions, etc is expensive. So is paying your governors, and whatnot. Poke at your factions to see exactly what this goes to? It could be corruption, never forget that.

Military: 11
Maintenance: 2 This pays for city walls, barracks, stables, keeps, castles, moats, et cetera. You can neglect it if you don't care about defenses.
Wages: 9 Pay this or face desertion or mutiny.

--

Armies:

Irisene Garrison: 'Far-Eyes' Halttrak Ofpans
Experience: Raids 'Barbarian' factions will always have this skill. Handy, no?
Units within: 4 Gurkish Infantry Gurkish Infantry are generally armed with wooden spears and the occasion bow, making them a good overall unit, but very good at raiding.
Resource modifiers: none
Wages: 4g

Kenefah Riders: Prince Onadagga Hjurk
Experience: Raids Skill experience means your armies excel at those particular activities. These are earned through repeated use. If a particular army sieges a bunch of towns successfully, it gains the 'Siege' skill and becomes a lot better at it.
Units within: 4 Gurkish Infantry
Resource modifiers: 1 Horse 4 Infantry + 1 horse = 3 Infantry 1 Cavalry. The 'basic' units are: 'Infantry', 'Archers', 'Siege', all of which will be slightly different according to their origin. These slight differences carry over onto 'later' or 'evolved' units (a layman's term). See the description of Gurkish Infantry above. It will also apply to a 'Gurkish Infantry' turned Cavalry.
Wages: 5

Mercenary:
Highlanders: 'Half-hand' Stabonson
Experience: Raids, Night-raids
Units within: 3 Gurkish Infantry
Wages: 3

Navies:

None

NPC
Danas-te-Rah
Tri-Queendom - Queen Mothers Ashur, Vagar, Vanar
Factions: size, confidence, power
Ashur Clan - 4/6/7
Vagar Clan - 5/7/5
Vanar Clan - 5/4/6
Nolkin Clans - 9/4/8
Human Farmers - 9/1/2
Slave population - 9/1/1

Income: 18

Tax Rate: Cruel
Taxation: 18

Expenses: 13

National: 2
Administrative: 3

Military: 8
Maintenance: 0
Wages: 8

--

Armies:

Danas Warriors: Gravar Vanar
Experience: Raids, Sieges
Units within: 4 Issith Infantry Issith Infantry are well-armed with wooden spears and obsidian axes.
Resource modifiers: 1 Metal One of the above Issith Infantry has either metal axes or metal armor, unless the player specifies otherwise. Resources can be utilized however you want. Creativity (using Tar on a Siege unit to create flaming projectiles, or on a boat to make it utterly water-tight) will be rewarded with success if it is due?
Wages: 4

Navies:

Mercenary:
Toravopes Skip: Captain Herman Hegengettar
Experience: Raids, Bombardments
Units within: 2 River Skiffs
Wages: 4

A few examples of what stats might look like. These two particular factions would exist if we started now, but since we are not, we shall see what we get!

Also I was considering e-mailing stats privately to each player. Blind stats make me very happy, because it (probably?) eliminates power-gaming. Now you have to guestimate your enemy's forces instead of number-crunching, or use your scouts more wisely, and be conservative with your warfare.

Top Bottom