Español 101

Personalmente, prefiero "Mis maestras están muy bien" a "Mis maestras son muy buenas", porque lo segundo se puede confundir con el sentido moral/ético. Aunque prefiero cualquiera de las dos a "Mis maestras están muy buenas" :p

Spoiler :
Personally, I prefer "My teachers are very good/My teachers are very well" to "My teachers are very good/My teachers are very good people", because the second one can be confused with the moral/ethical sense. But I prefer any of them to "My teachers are really hot" :p

For my Spanish class I was given a hypothetical crime to solve (a robbery). Just to be different, I decided that rather than claim that the obvious suspect was the robber, I will instead claim that the evidence is too perfect and that it suggests a cover up and a frame up. My question is, I'm trying to translate the phrases "I also think that the Perez family framed John for the theft" and "John looks too guilty and therefore I think he was set up" and I need to know what the Spanish version of "framed" and "set up" are?
I tried looking it up in a translator/dictionary and simply got framed as in a door frame and set up as in to prepare for something to to build a scaffolding. Also, if no one knows the answer to this, can anyone think of a place where I could learn this information?
Thanks

PS: Yes, asking for help on these kind of assignments is allowed

Moderator Action: Merged with existing thread.

Hint: The Spanish word for "framed" is engaño (sp?)

Engaño is a noun though... Shouldn't I be looking for a verb or am I missing something here?
Or, could you provide an example of how it would be used in a situation like this because I'm really confused :( I don't need/want the answer, just something that demonstrates the concept.

PS: What does the (sp?) mean? Thanks

PS: What does the (sp?) mean? Thanks
It means that he is not sure whether he has spelled the word correctly.

And that's the last post you'll see from me in a Spanish language thread.

Then I'm stumped there. I'm not sure how you would use engaño in that context. Someone else will know for sure.

Incriminar (fue incriminado) is the closest I can think of but it really just means false accusation but it could mean framed too I suppose.

Hi:

Incriminar is very formal and implies that somebody is accusing him. For example police can incriminate you, a judge can incriminate you or a witness can incriminate you. I think acusar would fit better in this case. In this case, La familia Perez acusó a John. If You want to emphasize that it was in a unjust way, you can use "acusó injustamente". If you want to say that they cheated him, I am not sure if there is one word to say it, you may use one sentence.
On the other hand I would traduce "John looks too guilty and therefore I think he was set up" as
"John parece demasiado culpaple y por lo tanto creo que le tendieron una trampa"

Let me give you one tip, IMHO best online dictionary is http://www.wordreference.com/. It has a lot of forums of people asking for help like this as well.

Hi:

Incriminar is very formal and implies that somebody is accusing him. For example police can incriminate you, a judge can incriminate you or a witness can incriminate you. I think acusar would fit better in this case. In this case, La familia Perez acusó a John. If You want to emphasize that it was in a unjust way, you can use "acusó injustamente".
On the other hand I would traduce "John looks too guilty and therefore I think he was set up" as
"John parece demasiado culpaple y por lo tanto creo que le tendieron una trampa"

Let me give you one tip, IMHO best online dictionary is http://www.wordreference.com/. It has a lot of forums of people asking for help like this as well.

Wow, thanks man! That really helps a ton.

Incriminar is very formal and implies that somebody is accusing him. For example police can incriminate you, a judge can incriminate you or a witness can incriminate you.

Must be regional difference. Here, outside the formal legal definition, incriminar implies falsification. It seems like all the Spanish I learn in Mexico is some kind of slang or regionalism.:(

Must be regional difference. Here, outside the formal legal definition, incriminar implies falsification. It seems like all the Spanish I learn in Mexico is some kind of slang or regionalism.:(

I agree, must be a regional difference. I have never used Incriminar in this way.
However, I have cheched RAE dictionary * and the third acception may mean what you say.

* RAE = the official royal institution responsible for regulating the Spanish language.

Well, "Incriminar" means that point out to that person as guilty. "Las pruebas incriminan al Sr. X"
"Evidence points out that Mr X is guilty" More or less :)

"I also think that the Perez family framed John for the theft" and "John looks too guilty and therefore I think he was set up"

"También creo que la familia Pérez tendieron una trama a John por el robo" and "John parece demasiado culpable por lo que creo que fue un montaje".

There you go.

"También creo que la familia Pérez tendieron una trama a John por el robo" and "John parece demasiado culpable por lo que creo que fue un montaje".

There you go.
Seriously? ... "También creo que la familia Pérez le tendió o tendió una trama a John por el robo"

I'm not saying is wrong ..., I'm just staying what I would say.

Seriously? ... "También creo que la familia Pérez le tendió o tendió una trama a John por el robo"

I'm not saying is wrong ..., I'm just staying what I would say.

I believe it should be singular too, but whatever.

How much Spanish do you guys think it's possible to learn in 6 weeks?

I have 60 pimpsler mp3 lessons (half an hour each), i already went through 4 of them.. but i'm going to start again from scratch and hopefully do them all.

I don't expect to be able to converse much with the locals in Peru, but it would be good to be able to hold my own saying basic things.. and to be able to figure out what signs mean, etc.

Takea pocket dictionary with you, six weeks isn't that much unless you go for immersion.

Top Bottom