Europa Europa: European Empires Mod

woodelf said:
AG - what's the timeline on the "patch" for 3.0? Other than nerfing the barbarian longbowmen and exchanging Byzantine for someone was there much else that needed fixing?
Changing non-Europe wonders to Europe ones ;)

I posted a change to the MOD, removing the HRE and replacing it with Greece. It really put the Ottomans in check and still allowed for stiff competition in the Lowlands between France, Dutch, Prussia and Denmark.

Also, I replaced all barbarian units to 2 regular Archers (3 attack) enhanced with all garrison promotions and 2 general promotions (+10%). This has proven very effective in preventing the cities capture until the wide use of horse archers and Medieval arms. Even then you need a good size army to overcome the fortified cities.

Here are a few ideas concerning the Venetian, Papal State and Italian UU:

Venice/Papal States/Italy Unique Units:

Venetian Stradioti – Expert light cavalry mercenaries from the Balkans and Greece. They were used very successfully as light cavalry against other mounted units. Bonus against cavalry and marine capability.
http://www.unrv.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t1655.html

Italian Knight Orders:
Some of the oldest knightly orders from southern Italy, very successful against the Ottomans.
http://www.regalis.com/reg/mauriziano.htm#1815

Italian (Urban) Militia:
During the Middle Ages, the Italian City states had a unique system of highly trained urban militia (non-aristocratic) that gave them excellent defensive capabilities. +50% city defense crossbow unit.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/09/0905_crossbow_2.html
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1841763225/103-1672200-7998230?v=glance&n=283155

Crusader:
Papal state unit basic knight with either no upkeep, reduced cost or both.

Looks like sapon has volunteered to help organize the UU "expansion". Nice additions. :goodjob:

Crash757 said:
Changing non-Europe wonders to Europe ones ;)

I almost think that's something we could do along with the UUs. That would allow AG to focus on his scenarios and gameplay issues. I'll look into next week and see what it entails.

woodelf said:
I almost think that's something we could do along with the UUs. That would allow AG to focus on his scenarios and gameplay issues. I'll look into next week and see what it entails.

Here's my exact to do list. Things with an "X" by them are already done. I begin doing the rest right now, as school's over for the week. Keep in mind, some things may not make the patch. I'm aiming to get it out by or on Sunday.

PATCH TO DO:
X-Nerf barbs in Italy
X-Gave Italy some Iron
X-New King for Hungary: Matthias
X-Nerf barbs all over (no more longbowman barbs)
X-Fixed spelling errors and mistakes pointed out by posters (Hungarian citynames, Lithuanian leadername, etc)
-Later Council of Nicea and Spread of Islam via extra prereq techs.
X-Improved Carpathian Basin (thanks V. Soma)
-Renamd UN to EU
-Religion Spread fix
-Slaves go obselete
-Civilopedia?
-Replace Venice with Byzantium
-Euro-ize no Eurowonders.

ArbitraryGuy said:
PATCH TO DO:
-Replace Venice with Byzantium

AG,

Any way you would change your mind and replace HRE or Dutch (they are side by side) instead of Venice? That would alow the Papal States to spread unchecked throughout the Italian Penninsula. I've been playing with the HRE removed for several days (Greece instead, but I'll change to Byzantium and play with starting locations of the Turks) and the balance is very nice in the lowlands. The Dutch and Danes spread quickly enough to stop a Prussian/Frankish domination.

Besides, as the old addage goes the HRE was neither Holy nor Roman nor an Empire :)

I also would like to make a few suggestions regarding Italy's major rivers systems. The Arno river is an important river in Italy, it cuts through Tuscany (Florence) running from the Northern Apennines to the Ligurian Sea. Also, the Adige river is extensive and runs from the Alps into the Adriatic. Here is a map of those river systems:

Regards

Attachments

• Italian Rivers.gif
    Italian Rivers.gif
    73.5 KB · Views: 284
@sapon
To tell you the truth, I would rather remove the Dutch than Venice. Some people had requested the Netherlands, however, so I held off. If nobody has any objections, I'll remove the Dutch rather than Venice. I think HRE is too important to remove. I'll try to add those rivers, as well. Thanks for your help ;)

Can we keep a barb city were the Dutch used to be? :)

I think you'll have to include them in your scenarios though.

ArbitraryGuy said:
@sapon
To tell you the truth, I would rather remove the Dutch than Venice. Some people had requested the Netherlands, however, so I held off. If nobody has any objections, I'll remove the Dutch rather than Venice. I think HRE is too important to remove. I'll try to add those rivers, as well. Thanks for your help ;)

AG,

Thanks for your consideration. I've went back to your original map and incorporated the river changes in Italy. I also moved Venice one tile East and Rome one tile South to make them more accurate. I also went and removed the Dutch and replaced them with Byzantium. I do not know how to edit the leader info though but the city names and locations are there. I put in the Turks in Central Asia (added some resources to make them viable). Would you mind taking a look at the map and see if you like the changes and placements? (Included edits to CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml & CIV4ArtDefines_Civilization.xml)

If you'd like, I can add one or two geographically accurate iron/marble sources in Italy.

Cheers

I would prefer the Netherlands to be replaced and keep Venice. Put a relatively strong barb city there to replace the Dutch.

@All
I think that it shouldn't be that hard to get two UU for every civ. I mean we just started yesterday and already have most of them. Lets just see if we can get to 2 per civ. For the mean time I'm going to put what I think is the better choice first on the list for each country.

@V Soma
Do you have any idea for a name we could use for that Hungarian Horse archer? About the unit values, my plan has been to try and come up with the units first and then choose what they do. It would be good if we can try to finish one discussion before moving on to another.

@Gladi
I didn't get exactly what the Hussites were supposed to be. I interpreted what you said as them being musketmen replacements. Please correct me if thats wrong.

Heres my updated list:

England: Redcoat, Welsh Longbowman

Scotland: Schiltron [pikeman],Highlander [rifleman]

Castile: Tercio [pikeman], Conquistador

Aragon:

France: (Frankish knight, Napoleonic Cavalry), Musketeer

Russia: Cossak,

Byzantium: Cataphract [knight],

Denmark: Berserker [axeman]

Prussia: (Prussian Rifleman, Prussian cannon), Panzer

HRE: HRE Knight,

Papal States: Swiss Guards, Crusader [knight]

Venice: Naval unit [either frigate or galley], Venetian Stradioti

Sweden: Caroleans [musketman], Berserker [axeman]

Ottoman: Grand Cannon, Siaphi [cavalry]

Poland: Winged Hussars [cavalry]

Lithuania:

Hungary: Hungarian Cavalry, Light hussars [cavalry]

Bohemia: Hussites [musketman?]

Ok, here are things I think that need discussion for the UU's.

1. Aragon. I am having trouble finding something to use. Any ideas?

2. France. Should we use a knight replacement or a cavalry replacement? Or we could remove the musketeer and use both but then we wouldn't be using one of our few models. Perhaps we could move the musketeer model to Sweden and give France the double cavarly action?

3. Venice. I really can't decide between giving a galley UU or frigate UU. Its really in between, neither would be right. Maybe we should add a new unit class :p

Gunner said:
Ok, here are things I think that need discussion for the UU's.
1. Aragon. I am having trouble finding something to use. Any ideas?

I found some info on Aragon, how about Almogavars? They were light infantry that used javelins very effectively (12th & 13th century) against cavalry. How about upgraded spearman? +1 movement?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almogavars

Or Calatrava Knights, holy order founded to drive the Moors from Spain. Would be sweet if we could make holy order knights spread religion without being consumed AND remove a religion from a city (Possible?)
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03149d.htm

i start this Modpack. But when i take a scenario i start always in 4000BC. Why i dont start in an other age?

thank you for help

Hungary: Hungarian Cavalry, Light hussars [cavalry]

Well, I think the first Hungarian UU should be an altered horse archer,
either to be placed in the 9-10th centure in timeline or the 14th century.

Or should that make UU1 and UU2 already?

Or should that second UU be a version of the cavalry from the 19th century?

If we decde on the 14th-horse, then naturally it will have stronger stats,
I presume... I try to come up with names for the horse archers...

Hi!
I liked the mod very much, this is the best I have tried! I played it with Hungary (of course) and I have a few suggestions.

-You left the whole Tisza river out. It crosses Eastern-Hungary and joins the Danube at Belgrade. It's not a problem but it would make the map more accurate.

-The second one is not just geographical but also historical inaccuracy. There is no gold in Hungary! Now that hurt because the only gold mines in Europe were in Spain and Hungary (Felvidék - today Slovakia, Erdély - Transylvania). By the 14th century trade increased in the Mediterranean so much that gold was used again since the Roman and post-Roman times (till the Arabian conquest). King Charles-Robert monopolized gold mining and he became the richest monarch at that time Europe because he kept the price of gold high. He could do it because he had the largest deposits. His son King Louis I. (the Great) used it to finance his wars with Venice and Naples and to keep the Venetians in check by keeping the price of gold low. Gold mines are still operating in the Carpathian-basin in Transylvania. You may have heard of it when those idiot romanians let the cyanic, used in the process, get into the above mentioned Tisza river, killing the whole wildlife along it some 5 years ago.

-The features you gave to Hungary are Spiritual and Industrous.
Spiritual: although the leader you chose (King László I. or Ladislaus in latin) was a well-known knight-saint the feature is not very good because in Civ4 this means no anarchy. But (unfortunately) the in-fighting in Hungarian history is too common.
Industrous: well this is funny for me because Hungary never was an industrous but more likely a wannabe-industrous country. Agriculture was more dominant. The industrous feature only stands for the period between 1867 and the WWI but absolutely not for the Middle Age.

-Let me suggest a few unique units for Hungary:
Székely (horse archer): magyars in south Transylvania for border guarding purposes. Fierce warriors, fighting as light cavalry. According to Hungarian legends they are the direct descendants of the Huns. They stayed in the Carpathian basin to guard Attila's Kingdom for their cousins, the magyars.
Huszár/Hussars (cavalry): This type of cavalry was originally developed in Hungary and was adopted later by the polish. As Hungary was under the rule of the Habsburg dynasty in the period of 1526-1918, the Hussars were used by the Austrian Imperial Army and fought in the battlefields of Western Europe.

-This suggestion does not concern Hungary: I missed the Byzantines very much. They were a major power in culture and military and they spread the orthodox religion to Russia and eastern Europe. They are my personal favorites. I think you should take out one of the following: danes, swedes, lithuania (no offense) but taking out the HRE is a big mistake as they were a major European power until the 14-15th century.

I hope I wasn't too boring. Keep up the good work! I'm looking forward to the updates.
Have a nice day!

Szia, HolyOne! ;)

Now, yes, gold in Transsylvania or in the northern hills (Felvidék) would be evident.
Also, I again would like to mention the wine of Tokaj (see earlier post).

Talking about geographical changes: Zurich is not quite where Zurich really is. It could be easily renamed to Basel or Bern, both of those (Basel more so) match the location of 'Zurich' on the EE3 map better and were very important cities of the area. Basel is at least 500 years older than Zurich (first mentioning of the name) or up to 1400 years older (first settlements at the locations: Basel ~500 BC, Zurich ~900 AD).

my few cents on UU for Denmark and Sweden :)

Denmark Viking Berserker (axeman +25% vs. melee)
Sweden Viking Snekke (viking boat ekstra mov. or able to carry more)

The nordsmen (denmark norway sweden) has always been known for their fierce and aggresive warriors, even though the vikings mainly where merchants they also understood the fine art of killing.
They where feared in all of eu all the way down top the black sea, the low and fast viking boat (The snekke) was able to sail small river and light enough to be transported across small land strips... making it a awesome weapon.

Denmark and sweden represents the nordsmen so they should have one each

ooh and adding nordic religion (thor and odin..) would be really great, then i could play a nordsmen rampage eu game :)))

Top Bottom