Eurovision... And the winner is...

The only reason, and I mean the ONLY reason to watch Eurovision is for the snark. They could have God and Satan themselves preforming songs alongside the sum total of resurrected artists from European history and the songs would still be awful.

True, in that example Satan has all the best musicians, so he'd probably win anyway. Ironically all the music critics are in hell too. I bet they could swing a few judges votes with their acid tongues.

What's snark. Surely the only reason to watch it is for it's extreme kitsch value?

Yes France insists on speaking French.

Yeah because of course they still have power, and they are the most important people on earth and they did not at all get steamrolled by Germany under WWII. And their part of Germany afterwards was much more deserved than states as Netherlands, Belgium or Norway, of the last I think lasted longer than their 'great empire'.

French peeps, grow up. You have to learn English and stop your pseudo-nationalism.

Yeah because of course they still have power, and they are the most important people on earth and they did not at all get steamrolled by Germany under WWII. And their part of Germany afterwards was much more deserved than states as Netherlands, Belgium or Norway, of the last I think lasted longer than their 'great empire'.

French peeps, grow up. You have to learn English and stop your pseudo-nationalism.

Actually it was Poland who lasted longer then France, and after we were defeated, (but never actually surrendered) we still fought with the allies in the battle of britain, some counter german invasion in norway, monte cassino, campaigns in north africa and market garden just to name the few, while the french didn't do much after they surrendered. Poland also broke the enigma code to.

Not to mention that Poland was a new country to only get it's independen ce 20 years before, and we were attacked on 3 fronts, 1 german, 1 soviet, and 1 slovakian while the french got attacked on 2 fronts, 1 german and 1 italian(which was like our slovakia front to them)

Polish nationalism wins again.

edit: oh yah, don't forget that france had all the new weaponry, tanks and everything while poland had nothing. (and no we didn't charge tanks with horses)

Is that some British slang meaning "years"?

It means a long time, ages, aeons, donkey's years. Or yonkeys dears I suppose?

Oh, God. It's that time of the year again. The celebration of European kitsch!!!!:lol:

But I love it. I'll definitely watch it on Saturday (along with everybody else who criticises it). :king:

Question to our American friends: There were thoughts about having your own version - amongst the 50 states. Any developments on that?

I'm not sure. We are trying it again with Italian this time, as we have done for many many times in the past (we were always allowed to sing in German, French or Italian due to our 4 languages). I am sceptical. As someone already pointed out, Italy doesn't participate (they have their own at San Remo where our singer made rank 6 this time) and well, as we don't have geographical allies (Hello Germany? Hello Austria? Hello Belgium (French)? Hello France?), we would need to have a good song that people can relate to, something they can't when they can't understand it (or it is in English).

Btw. I was always astonished how bad Britain did in the past, as they could have always sung in English.
btw. II, why does Britain participate and not England, Scotland and Wales as in the Soccer championships?

m

well, at least they're doing a national language song again....I'm so tired of the english retort songs we sent the last years. not that it will matter anyway, we'll most likely end up with 0 points anyway. we just don't have any large emigrant groups or geopolitical allies...:lol:

but here's the points from switzerland: turkey 12 points, germany 10 points, bosnia 8 points, serbia 6 points, croatia 5 points....ok, the order might vary, but I bet that at least 4 of these will get points from Switzerland :ack:

Huh? I'm sure they had semi-finals last year.

Yes, they had, but ONE semi-final.
The terms have change.
Know only the Winner and the Big 4 goes to the final. The remains contries will compete in this new format.

A curiosity that didn't know:
Morocco already participate in the festival once!

Lebanon, Tunisia, Libya, Jordan, Egypt and Algeria are also eligible.

The first semi-final is on as we speak!

The countries are voting!

Ireland didn't pass, surprisingly. Neither did Belgium, unfortunately. But on the other hand Bosnia's still passed and Finland and plenty of other Terry Wogan cannon fodder'll make it amusing enough Saturday.

(Edit: Cato beat me to it.) Ireland didn't make it through:(

Although I have to admit all the songs that did are proper songs and not novelty / joke entries.

Bosnia Herzegovina, Azerbaijan and (I am slightly biased) Finland ruled this show.

Belgium, indeed shame that it didn't pass. It was ... catchy tune ^^ (in a positive way ... I think)

I'm till going to marry the girl from the Belgian entry.

I hate the Belgian song.... It's driving me mad! at least that's over. But yeah, she is hot in some way... could be the lipgloss though ;)

go France Go!

I have decided that I'm going to vote against the Lisbon treaty because of this snub to Ireland :mad:

Spoiler :
Not really - my mother took me off the register of electors so I won't be voting either way

Top Bottom