1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Existing Buildings Discussion

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by Vokarya, Apr 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

I wonder why it's a normal building that is giving a gold bonus to all cities.

2. Vokarya

Vokarya Deity

The King's Council is another one of my buildings. It's actually a pseudo-National Wonder; you trade a penalty in Maintenance and War Weariness for a gold bonus in all cities. It requires Palace, so you can only build one of them, but since it's a Civic building, I don't want it taking up a National Wonder slot after you switch off of the appropriate civic. I find that I usually wind up in Republic well before the Medieval Era, so I wanted this as another reason to stay in Monarchy for a while.

I created the King's Council because I wanted the Parliaments technology to have something that was available at that technology. The idea is that if you have an autocratic government but not a government that's completely opposed to participation (in this case, either the Monarchy government civic or the Feudal society civic) you share a little power with a Council, and they agree to some higher taxes (gold bonus) in exchange for airing of grievances (war weariness).

We never did get around to the second part of the Parliaments tech, which would be if you were already running a representative government, it made your existing institutions better as they would adopt parliamentary forms. In this case, what I was looking at was a +:) bonus to Agora and Forum (because they are the Republic civic buildings), but I don't think we can do that with the current technology XML. I could be wrong, but I looked through the tech schema and I didn't see anything like that.

3. Vokarya

Vokarya Deity

It's not really a normal building; it's actually a National Wonder that's set up in a roundabout way so it doesn't take up a National Wonder slot when you switch off of the civics that allow it to be built. I deliberately set it up to require Palace so you can only build 1, but I didn't declare it as a National Wonder in its building class code. The logic is the same as converting the various religious Shrines to normal buildings; if it can only be built in the Holy City of the religion, you can still only build 1 of them, but you won't be unable to build the Shrine because of Wonder limits.

4. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

Yeah but isn't that one "heck" of a way to "pay?" :eek:

5. Vokarya

Vokarya Deity

Which do you think is too high? The War Weariness or the maintenance cost? I can adjust either one. I've never gotten any feedback on the King's Council before, so I appreciate whatever you think would be an appropriate adjustment.

6. strategyonly

Haven't really looked to far into it yet, but these this cross reference with ant civics included? At that point in the game when it comes along, i believe "everyone" tries to avoid ANY :mad: which at that point is bad news anyways. JMO.

7. Faustmouse

Faustmouse Deity

Isn't Parliaments close to Democracy? In this case, this is the phase of the game where I have the most :) in my cities since I just switched from my over-expanded Monarchy to Republic and all my cities are much more happy by then.
    I think the Building is fine.

8. Taxman66

Taxman66 King

If you want people to stay in monarchy longer, than there should be more ways to offset the expansion unhappiness (short of turning off city limits). Either the # of cities should scale to map size, or there needs to be additional ways to offset the unhappiness.

9. Vokarya

Vokarya Deity

Parliaments is mid-Medieval Era; Democracy is mid-Classical. So Parliaments/King's Council comes along well after you make the Monarchy/Republic choice.

10. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

Ah, people could get confused about that. Could you add some explanation to the help text about it? Or just make it a declared NW?

11. Faustmouse

Faustmouse Deity

Wasn't there an idea of linking the city limit to techs?

12. LumenAngel

LumenAngel King

In lot of my recent game, my capital is the "Science city", not the "Gold city". But it's often one with very low maintenance. So increase maintenance is this city to have +10% gold in all city look fair for me :)

13. LumenAngel

LumenAngel King

Why remove all disadvantages from buildings?
    Soon, all the +pollution/crime/disease will be removed because there are in fact some malus...
    I already think that the -1 :hammers: from sport building was fine (it s often less than -1%), and now this...

14. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

From the feedback I was getting no one bothered to build them. Apparently -:hammers: or -:food: is a deal breaker for people.

15. Kreatur

Kreatur Warlord

most times cities produce so much food that -:food: from a single building doesn't matter at all, i mean a single farm improvement produce more than 2 times as much than this building consumes even without any food recourse on the farm improvement

16. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

I hope not. I do not play with city limits nor do I want them imposed upon me either.

JosEPh

17. GT Ranma

GT Ranma Slowest of the Slow

@Hydro:

I want to argue the point for the fire pit, since we can't do it in SVN I thought here might be a good idea.

You changed Fire Pit to have +1 health, and it was argued that there is no reason for IT to have +1 health. IF I remember correctly the fire pit use to allow you to build other buildings (I don't think it does anymore).
    Now, would the people who disagree with it adding +1 health be appeased if you add that to a different building? Say, the healers hut; if you ALSO have a Fire Pit in the city, it gives an extra +1 health (Because you can cauterize wounds) to the Healers hut?
    I am not sure you can do this 'building synergy' idea, but I think it could definitely be worth looking into, no?

18. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

That's a bit too detailed for me. And that's saying something.

19. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I'm actually quite happy with the suggestion to give the fire pit an extra health. I'd think having a fire pit would be rather intimidating to the wild animal invasions that would've been commonplace without one (I know we show most animals on the board but I don't see those as ALL the animals out there - it wouldn't be rational to do so I think). Such animals, even vermin, snakes, as well as larger predators looking to pick off a child or elderly here or there, would be far less likely to approach when a Fire Pit exists. All the reasons FOR the health are valid and I agree they'd overwhelm the negatives because unhealth is mortality rate and there is more 'nuisance' as a drawback and 'lifesaving' as an advantage.

Additionally, we REALLY need more health at that stage of the game and this'd make the building one of those 'must have quickly' ones.

20. strategyonly

I agree with the +1 health, heck i'd actually make it a +2, reason being, thats were they used to make their squirrel/pig/boar etc to have boiled/fried food from and it waay better than eating RAW meat (which) for a human is really bad on the digestive system. And one of the reasons why they died so early on so young. Heck just making soup would be great in a kettle.
    Look at the game Survivor on TV, the fire pit is the only thing that kept them warm at night, and the only way they actually eat anything, even rice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.