1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Existing Buildings Discussion

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by Vokarya, Apr 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

That's why there are Upgrades to the Bonfire and Imu, as well as dependent buildings like Fire Dance and Smoke Signals.

I don't want to give the regular Fire Pit too much or when it upgrades it will give -:health::

2. Faustmouse

Faustmouse Deity

As someone mentioned the aspect Fires scare away animals, how about making animals able to enter your territory but make the firepit like a "mini-great-wall" that only takes away animals?

3. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

No we can't do 'building synergy':( Which is a pity, it would let us do cool stuff.

Edit Why does "Seed Camp" cost twice as much as the other buildings that provide the same benefit?

4. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I was going to suggest it myself but figured I'd wait and see if someone else caught on to the idea that struck me as I was writing that post, which you've done.

I've recently made a tag for animals that allows them to enter borders if the tag is true (and it can be done with a promo as well) so I don't want to cut off this potential as I see that tag as meaning 'reckless and willing to enter despite knowing the risk of intruding on human territory' or 'apathetic towards man completely'. The latter is more possible once some more diverse animal ais are developed which is a project on the list.

But this thought, as I said, did occur to me during the writing of that post. I started considering how it could be done but I think it can't really work off of the fire pit because that's a city by city kind of effect and its easier to draw the line at the national borders. So I'm thinking something like that would work for the Controlled Fire national wonder (but it'd also have to be triggered on achieving a tech at some point too because I'm sure the Controlled Fire wonder obsoletes at some point.)

So what does everyone else think? Would it be problematic to allow animals to freely enter borders, even potentially attack the city, until Controlled Fire is built?

5. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

I would have thought that the distinction would be based on worked by city and/or have improvements on them rather than just national borders if you were going to let animals in. Let's face it Bears and Boars now roam the nature corridors in Europe now that people leave them alone.

6. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

hmm... a good point for spawning rules in particular I think.

Considerations regarding animals being allowed in borders certainly has a lot of grounds for proposals and rule formulation.

7. LumenAngel

LumenAngel King

I still dont understand this....
    The +Crime or pollution for lot of building is more important for me than some -:hammers: or -:food:. yes, I cant see the effect immediatly, but I know them...
    It' maybe a problem, you cant see when building a new crime/pollution building will cause the creation of a new crime/pollution building. Or the chance of a fire event for flammability.

8. Kreatur

Kreatur Warlord

just a few observations from the game

asphalt road, expressway and freeway upgrades to ( i think it was) skyroads.
    every road building provides +25% trade income which meens if you build every road type in your city you gain +75% trade income. When you upgrade them to the skyroads you loose 50% trade income. Seems strange to me

the arcology building is brooken. at the moment you build an launsh arcology you losse your possibility to ubgrade your arcology to arcology shielding and advanced shielding. the problem is since housing buildings build themselves you havent any chynce to choose. But i think even a launsh arcology could use some shieldings too. The second part is that an arcology is the biggest defence building at all. i mean this thing protects your city against units, air units, bombardemts, and even nukes. But in opposite to normal walls the building doesnt show up on the map. please define the arcology as an deffense building.

the parter post--trading post--shopping district upgrade path is broken. For example the butchery requieres storage pitt ore barter post ore trading post but not the shopping district. if you ubgrade your trading post you losse the butchery and a lot of other buildings. Yes most of them are obsolete at this time but not all. What about ubgrade the butchery to meat packing plant (maybe the meat packing plant has to be renamed a little bit and have to provide raw meat)

the shoes resource is a little bit useless at the moment ( yes at least they provide a little gold bonus) but we could requiere them to build various sports buildings. For example the recreation center.

just a few ideas from a fan of this mod.

9. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

@Kreatur

Thanks for the feedback I will look into those issues.

10. Kreatur

Kreatur Warlord

i am always glad to be able to help even if my grammar and spelling is strange

11. Yudishtira

Yudishtira Spiritual/Creative

Animals in borders make a lot of sense - realism-wise. You might have to give workers a defence strength against them, as they will most likely survive an attack by a duck or a platypus (or even an iguana). As for attacking cities (in the era where 'cities' means mud huts, this is), I would say that stampeding large animals in herds - pachyderms, cattle/buffalo, rhinos - could 'raze' an early 'city'. Other animals like wolves and big cats might be allowed to attack units in cities, but not take control of or raze the city. And most other animals simply won't attack the city per se.

12. Il Principe

Il Principe Prince

Problem with that is worker strength. It has been tried, but from what I understood it is highly bugged.
    Without it anamials should stay out of borders for now.
    Maybe let them in until controlled fire tech.

13. Taxman66

Taxman66 King

I ran into a similar blocked building due to obseleted previous building. I had a newly captured Barb city and wanted to put a Sweat Lodge in to reduce disease. I couldn't because it didn't have a Sage Hut, and couldn't build the Sage Hut because it appears to be obsoleted.

Having said that... why would a Sweat Lodge require a Sage Hut in the first place?

14. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Just another example of the ramifications of bottlenecking all buildings thru Storage pit and Barter Post trend of long building chains.

You by chance don't have the Hide Obsolete Buildings button checked in BUG do you?

JosEPh

15. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Because a Sweat Ceremony would require a spiritual leader to run it.

16. MaXimillionZero

MaXimillionZero Warlord

Is the sweat lodge necessarily a spiritual building? There are many cultures with such buildings that have no spiritual significance after all.

17. Taxman66

Taxman66 King

That was my thought too, along the lines of a primitive Finnish Sauna.

18. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

I agree. Many peoples used it so that they wouldn't die of the cold in their area, it didn't really have spiritual significance at first.

19. Actuarian

Actuarian Warlord

Bummer. My fire pit just got destroyed by a random fire event. I know it isn't the end of the world, but if it is fairly easy, it would be nice if this and similar 'buildings' were immune to burning down.

I can't think of any off the top of my head, but are there any other random event/random target building combinations that don't make sense?

20. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

Unfortunately that would require a good bit of code for only a few instances. That is why it is this way now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.