1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Explain it like I'm five: Modernism vs. Postmodernism

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mr. Dictator, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

Well, son, they're fancy terms people use to throw at each other that can mean anything people want them to mean. Don't ya worry ya little head about it.

2. timtofly

timtofly One Day

Or a descriptive meaning of something without meaning is useless?

3. aelf

aelf Ashen One

I don't even think you know what meaning means, so let's not get into that debate.

I think post-modernism says some interesting things, as with many other intellectual movements with the exception of stuff like Objectivism.

4. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Objectivism isn't an intellectual movement. That it would imply that it's capable of, well, intellectual movement.

5. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

So it's a movement while not being a movement?

6. aelf

aelf Ashen One

Post-modernism? I used "movements" to talk about other movements that can less controversially be described as movements. Whether post-modernism is a (single) movement is up for debate. Some people think it is, and they may be right insofar as we're looking at it from a chronological perspective.

7. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Do bowel movements count?

I once had a class that addressed modernity and post-modernism. As far as I could tell, nobody really has a clue where to draw the line between modernist and post-modernist. I looked on wiki at both the modernism and post-modernism entries to try and refresh my memory, and it doesn't look familiar at all.

8. _random_

_random_ Jewel Runner

That's a pretty post-modern way of looking at it.

9. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

There's a lot of excellent stuff in post-modernism. Lets look at this pearl of wisdom by Jacques Lacan:

Clear, concise, and demonstrating a tremendous understanding of mathematics.

10. illram

illram Deity

Post-modernism definitely is more definable in the art world, albeit still subject to debate, such as whether Duchamp can be called a post modernist even though Traitorfish correctly points out he is usually defined as a dada artist. (Wiki references that postmodernism and dada, intellectually, are similar and that postmodernist thinkers staunch opposition to the idea that anyone has previously thought of what they are thinking about is obviously in direct opposition to the idea that artists from the 1920s already did everything these intellectual post modern dudes are talking about.)

11. Mr. Dictator

Mr. Dictator A Chain-Smoking Fox

Bumping, with an afterthought.

Pertaining to postmodernism, in the arts, I wonder if anyone else has noticed its degrading effect on the arts. What got me thinking was this: I read a study recently that seemed to show a slight increase in creative functioning (the metric was lateral thinking exercises, if I remember correctly) when a written clue was presented to the left eye. To the right eye, there was no effect, however. I can't remember how that pertained to this at all, but the article went on about how frustration is the key to insight. By exhausting the limits of one's logic, one gives up, stares at the page, make subtle connections, and see the answer.

A small snippet of this article is what inspired this though. The idea went along the lines of this: "Strict poetic forms are more likely to frustrate the poet, eventually leading to insight in his or her failed attempts with logic, which show him or her how to break the standard language just enough to convey, but not enough to confuse."

Well, with postmodernism's dismantling of the narratives of art movements, it has removed the rules that once frustrated and constrained, yet also unified and advanced, artists. Cubism was able to develop, because it had a rationale behind it. Yes, its narrative and meaning was manufactured, but it at least attempted to make one and it gave the blueprint of "this is what we're doing, this is why we're doing it."

Anyways, quick little blurb that popped into my head today. I'm getting sleepy, so maybe someone else could expand on what I said, if they agree; or go ahead and start correcting me.

12. aelf

aelf Ashen One

13. Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand Deity

I would really say the same about post-modernism. In many respects, Objectivism is the last remaining strand of modernism in existence - carrying the light of rationality forward in an age of darkness, it's our job to guard the sacred flame of philosophy in the new Dark Age.

14. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

I would say that a world in which Objectivism represents the last strand of modernism is functionally equivalent to a world in which modernism has ceased to be.

15. kulade

kulade Deity

illram's urinal explanation is actually right on point.

Basically in recent times, modern society has become so good at producing art, entertainment, writing, and philosophy that some putative intellectuals came around and started painting, writing and thinking as poorly as they possibly could as some pathetic "rebellion" against modern society in display of their ineptitude.

Post-modernist philosophers like to say pretentious thinks like "all text is meaningless and arbitrary" which actually is true for anyone who has had the grand misfortune of reading nothing but wretched po-mo.

16. Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand Deity

I would say that a World in which post-modernism represents the last strand of human thought is functionally equivalent to a World in which rational intellect and thought have ceased to be.

Spoiler :
    See what I did there?

17. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

Which is very strange, because it incorporates pretty much none of Modernist philosophy into it's thought.

18. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

Hooray, kulade's back! :D

19. Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand Deity

I like to play it as I feel it. Let's just go with the flow here.

Btw I liek your neckbeard, it's pretty.

20. aelf

aelf Ashen One

Yeah, I'd say that rationalism predates modernism, so Objectivists are arguably more outdated than they think.