Extremely early one archer rush.

Masagin

Chieftain
Hello, dear fanatics.
There is a strategy that I found especially effective, so I'd like to share and discuss it.
The strategy is intended to work on speeds of Epic and slower, and needs a map with a distance to the nearest AI of about 10 tiles (that's usual for normal games). I've only tried it a few times as Russia, but hopefully, it works for other nations as well. It may require some saving and loading on your part, though, and it will fail if the enemy's city is on a hill.
- scout the enemy
- research archery (1+9 turns)
- train a warrior
You should be able to start training an archer after you finish the warrior. Hopefully, the enemy is training settlers or workers and our army outnumbers their. Usually they have 2 warriors. Should their warriors wander outside the city, it's even easier. Declare war when the archer reaches their border.
The key to winning the siege is to have the archer kill the newer units that are not fortified yet. The fortified warrior has 3.40 str, so we damage it, kill the next unit, promote our archer and attack again. I hope this has been clear enough.
We gain enough to lead for the entire game: city, land, sometimes - workers.

Attachments

• post.jpg
    post.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 377
This will not work at Monarch or higher levels as the AI starts with archery and archers.

Thank you, I didn't know that. How do I win the game on Monarch then? Second capital is what made me lead in score. I feel I won't have any advantage then.

Leading in score is not needed to win the game. There are many excellent articles written to help as well as walkthrough games. My best suggestion is to follow play through a few sample games. There is a thread at the head of this forum with sample games. And ask questions, there are always people willing to answer, you just need some more specific questions.

And welcome to the forums!

On Monarch+ the only rushes that seem to work are either Immortals (Persia only), or Axes. Both are of course very circumstantial, I find that even if I need to field a second city for copper, the rush won't work same with horses for Persia of course. Usually though it's a good idea to REX your opponents and dominate them in land+production, then steal the lead later on.

On Monarch+ the only rushes that seem to work are either Immortals (Persia only), or Axes. Both are of course very circumstantial, I find that even if I need to field a second city for copper, the rush won't work same with horses for Persia of course. Usually though it's a good idea to REX your opponents and dominate them in land+production, then steal the lead later on.
Monarch+ War Chariot, regular chariot, horse archer, archer, and sword "rushes" are all very possible as well. I've never had a problem with any type of chariot rush as long as horses were in immediate (2nd city) vicinity. Attacko's Ice Archer Rush thread shows that even on high levels, an all out archer rush is possible. I prefer resource-based unit rushes as they are usually successful with lower :hammers: investment, but successful nonetheless.

If skillfully executed under the right circumstances, you can rush with anything. Yes, even with Warriors on Monarch+.

Regular chariots are among the best rush units btw, on par with Axes in some opinions.

I'm very new to this game. I managed to win a game on Noble with a tank rush >_> my first game I lost because I dropped too many nukes (11).

The speed of chariots makes up for the (possible) need to research "the wheel" along with AH. Although, some civs (like Egypt) start with Wheel AND Agriculture (meaning 1 tech from War Char). This also goes for Wheel AND Hunting starts. Usually, the chariot rush is more attractive for civs that start with wheel/hunting/agri or combo thereof and NOT mining.

If a civ starts with Mining, I'll usually try for Copper/Axe rush since axes defend much better than chariots (no defense bonus, 4 str, no fortify bonus) and if you can build axe, you can build spearmen which are flawless against chariots (axe counter) and great against all mounted up until knights (and even then they stand decent ground when fortified on a hill).

Below Monarch, if you find an AI early, you should be able to crank out 5 Warriors and take out the capital (barring annoyances like Protective AIs on a hill).

Monarch (& presumably above), a Quecha rush can work as well.

Trouble is - you have to commit pretty early to the rush. If you build 5 Warriors and the rush fails (or you abort due to 40% defense on a hill), you've sacrificed early expansion for nothing.

I reccomend you look in the strategy articles board for Snaaty's strategy guide for normal maps and speeds, or something like that. That one is excellent.

I took a long break. Did a lot of alt research and soul searching. Found a new job. Working out the last weeks at my old job. Probably will only be around sparingly now.

Sometimes (this certainly doesn't apply to most on the forums) I get bored with Civ. This usually happens after I've mastered 2 levels and don't really feel like dealing with learning a new level (in this case Emperor). After having beaten Monarch with 10 different leaders, I became bored. Switched over to some RPGs on my 360 and now I'm back in it. The break actually did me well since my first Monarch game (last night) finished with an AP win in 1100 and a nice +100,000 score.

>>and if you can build axe, you can build spearmen which are flawless against chariots (axe counter)

Well, need to research hunting for spears :D... which I usually prefer to skip.

Needs to be gauged by the map. If my opponent has horses in his borders, you bet Hunting is worth the tech sidetrack. It's mad cheap anyway.

??? Measure cost / benefit. Do I want a second capital and plenty of expandable land or do I want a bunch of warriors that I will end up deleting later on due to unit costs? If the enemy has horses and therefore chariots, you will not be able to keep a captured city with axemen as they are eaten for breakfast by chariots.

If no chariots or no horses, then no need for spears and you can keep your warriors.

Cost/benefit analysis.

Top Bottom