1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Fantasy Unit Conversions from Kohan II

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Unit Graphics' started by Deliverator, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

.......Must steal for Mazatl. :drool:

2. Psychic_Llamas

Psychic_Llamas Wizard in the Making

Hehe :) be my guest valk :D
    Attached are also a few quick skins of the Lamia:

Attached Files:

3. Valkrionn

Those will certainly work until we have the correct skins, so I'll use them. :lol:

4. Valkrionn

Actually, one question: Can you add a few more feathers? Mainly on the sides, thickest at the wings and shrinking as you go. As it is now, the feathers and scales seem rather pasted together, I think an intermediate zone would help a lot.

5. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

All just great, nothing more to say :goodjob:.

6. Manifold

Manifold ModderProtectionAdvocate

Hey guys, you were just crasy excellent! Firaxis will call you - for sure!

7. Valkrionn

Not the best place to ask, but related to the post at least. :p

How do you copy an effect from one unit to another? For example, the flame effect on the fireball. I'm assuming that as it's on the unit itself, I don't need to touch the kfm? Can I just copy the EFFECTS node (NiStringExtraData) from one unit to another? I ask because I'm trying to create a version of the Floating Eye which is on fire.... :p

8. seZereth

seZereth FfH´s art monk(ey)

Hey P_L, I think you should remove the arms and legs to make it a feathered serpent ,)
    cheers guys,
    nice work on porting the Dragons!

9. Psychic_Llamas

id love to, but im not sure how to remove the legs lol :p there are no arms though so thats ok at least :)

10. cfkane

cfkane Emperor

Those reskins could really be helpful. I've been looking for a mermaid model...

11. Deliverator

Deliverator Graphical Hackificator

Seeing as you can model in 3DS Max OK, surely it's just a question of importing the model using the NifTools scripts, hacking the legs and sealing over the holes, then exporting the NIF again. I could do it in Blender pretty quickly, but I'm not as familiar with Max.

Thanks, it was worth the effort in the end... :)

I guess they could be made into a mermaid, they should have a more fishy tail though...

I'm away from my modding machine at the moment, but I think it is likely that the Fireball uses an Attachable rather than an Effect. Attachables are basically like permanently playing Effects, specified in CIV4AttachableInfos.xml rather than CIV4EffectInfos.xml and link to the unit using a special ATTACHABLES node in the Nif file. This can be cut and pasted from one instance of NifSkope to another if you want. You just need to ensure that the target node for the Attachable exists in the NIF you copy it to. You may need to create a simple NiNode to fix the attachable to.

12. Valkrionn

That was spot on, thanks! The EFFECTS node I had cloned was unrelated (apparently... Don't know what it does. :lol:), found another, more nested node which contained childnodes titled "flame ity-Emitter" (with the space. :lol:). Copied that one over, and the flame shows up; Was a bit small, so I've scaled it up, and am now slowly shifting it in order to try to get it in the right spot. :goodjob:

13. Valkrionn

Done. ;)
    Spoiler :

Front View:

Side View:

14. Psychic_Llamas

oh really?
    ill have to find a tutorial for that now...

This was a huge help :) thanks a lot. here are my results:

now i just need to get rid of the coatl's legs and add arms to the other drakes and im all set!

15. Valkrionn

Before adding arms, you should post your units so I can steal them. :p

Also: Reskinned the burning eye (just a greyscale, then colored the white; Nothing fancy), think it looks better in the flame effect.

16. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Master of Points

That rainbow one could almost pass as a Bird's of Paradise if anyone is making a Magic mod (I guess noone have?)

17. Psychic_Llamas

Hahaha ok then :) see attached.

ive only been able to find tutorials for porting nifs into blender, and my nifSkope dosnt seem to be able to export .obj files correctly, it comes up with heaps of errors :/ anyone able to explain how? :)

Attached Files:

18. Deliverator

Deliverator Graphical Hackificator

It's pretty straightforward. There's no need to go via OBJ format.

1) Install the Max Nif scripts from this link. More info and Importer/Exporter guides here.

2) In Max select Import from the left most menu. Choose NetImmerse/Gamebryo for the file format and locate the NIF file to load.

3) I've generally found that it's better to select what NIF version you want from the drop down rather than use Auto Detect which can do strange things. Pick Civilization 4 for the Drake as that has already been converted to NIF version 20.0.0.4. There is a handy list of which games use which NIF version here. For importing the raw Kohan II models and animations I use Freedom Force vs the Third Reich as both games use NIF version 10.1.0.0.

For Export, the process is very similar. Pick Export then NetImmerse/Gamebryo, select Civilization 4 from the version drop down and choose NIF w/o Animation if you are just altering the mesh. (Even if you have the Civilization 4 Export plugin as well, as then I would still say use the NifTools ones - they're more recently updated and reliable I've found)

Which version of Max do you have? I have 7 so if there are major differences in other versions I won't know about them.

19. Psychic_Llamas

fantastic thanks :)

i have 3DS Max 2010 though so those nif plugins aren't compatible. ive managed to find some 2010 nif plugin pre-release beta thingos so im downloading that now. hopefully it will be similar to how you explain it :) thanks :)

20. Psychic_Llamas

ok... well ive successfully gotten rid of the legs on the coatl:

Spoiler :

unfortunately after exporting it as a Civ4 Nif (without animations) it only has 'chicken drumstick wings' and no animations at all :( ive obviously done something wrong here...