Farewell to the Old....

The first time I felt like "back in my day..." is when I was around 21 or 22, and having a casual online conversation with a 13-year-old about video games. They had never seen a floppy disk in their life.

Oh man remember actually have to go into a store to buy new games? And then sometimes they would run out? Lol seems so stupid now. Even not that long ago, I fondly remember standing around outside of gamestop with 30-40 other young people waiting for midnight release of wow expansions. And then you would get the cd key, install it off disc and still have to download a huge update so I'm not sure why you had to buy a physical box at all but you did. I think cataclysm was the first one sold online, not sure. But I definitely stood outside in line for wrath and burning crusade.

Those are things I don't miss though. Having broadband download games and online purchasing is far better. Not having to swap out discs and load them to play games is far better. Gog is FAR better.

Do you guys remember being little when department stores sold video games? They had those demo tv cabinets so you could play the newest mario or sonic while your parents shopped. We loved those. I'm pretty sure we ended up buying a sega genesis from sears.

Most men wearing hats was common until the 1960s. Then the basic men's fedora and caps disappeared. Hair flourished! Hats went dormant until the baseball cap brought about a revival of men's head wear.

Oh man remember actually have to go into a store to buy new games? And then sometimes they would run out? Lol seems so stupid now. Even not that long ago, I fondly remember standing around outside of gamestop with 30-40 other young people waiting for midnight release of wow expansions. And then you would get the cd key, install it off disc and still have to download a huge update so I'm not sure why you had to buy a physical box at all but you did. I think cataclysm was the first one sold online, not sure. But I definitely stood outside in line for wrath and burning crusade.

Those are things I don't miss though. Having broadband download games and online purchasing is far better. Not having to swap out discs and load them to play games is far better. Gog is FAR better.

Do you guys remember being little when department stores sold video games? They had those demo tv cabinets so you could play the newest mario or sonic while your parents shopped. We loved those. I'm pretty sure we ended up buying a sega genesis from sears.
I don't know. Now that everything is so readily available, the excitement of waiting is kind of dead. As is the communal aspect of buying a game, or watching an episode of a weekly TV show as opposed to just binging it on Netflix etc. and discussing it with people, as was said earlier. Or maybe it's just dead because I've become jaded.

In the US pickup trucks have gone from work related to luxury vehicles.

It seems to me that pickup trucks are getting bigger and bigger, too. I saw pictures of some old ones and they're really small compared to the ones they make today.

If it's an actual working truck you don't buy a bigger pickup than you need, that'd be dumb gas isn't free, and you drive it long past it looking pretty. Size and sheen are the pretense of p33n.

The first time I felt like "back in my day..." is when I was around 21 or 22, and having a casual online conversation with a 13-year-old about video games. They had never seen a floppy disk in their life.

First time I felt old was talking about films with someone, I mentioned Apocalypse Now, and they said they didn't watch old films.

No, but I remember parking my kids in front of them. Thanks for that, whippersnapper. :mad:

If it's an actual working truck you don't buy a bigger pickup than you need, that'd be dumb gas isn't free, and you drive it long past it looking pretty. Size and sheen are the pretense of p33n.

True, but getting a lot harder to do. When I was a pool man a little truck with a four cylinder was ideal, and still would be, but it seems like the "mini-truck" now is as big as a half-ton used to be, and my sister has an F-150 that won't fit in a parking space. A one ton crew cab has turned into a house with a yard.

I saw a meme or post or something somewhere where someone showed some kids a floppy disk and they thought someone had 3D printed the "Save" icon. Dunno if it was true but funny either way.

A fleet model F150 is mostly pretending. They shifted a lot of the steel to aluminum so they have some weight to play with making it look bigger than it is.

I dunno. I've seen a couple crashes with the smaller trucks and they get utterly obliterated by something like a bus or semi. Newer trucks get ruined but the seating area seem relatively intact after a collision.

But I haven't seen enough crashes to know if that's anecdotal or a real difference.

Parking meters now take credit cards; can Apple pay be far behind?

A have a veruy strong impression that the rate of change came to some kind of abrupt stop around 10 years ago. Not much new happened either in technology or society. It is as if the possibilities are all spent. Notice the remakes in the media...

And in fact the two big changes were the internet swallowing TV time, and the Internet becoming mobile through smartphones. That apart, not much changed from 20 years ago. The world changed far more in the 7 decades before 1945 than in the seven decades after 1945.

Perhaps it is that I thing much of what is being peddled as imminent change now (electric cars, electronic payments, etc) are not really going to take over and replace the old. Much as ebooks were supposed to have killed printed books and failed. I wonder when the limit of online retail will be hit but I think we're neat it also.

I remember the games shop I went to on Oxford Street disappearing.
Used to sell boardgames, RPGs and figures. First a shelf went to videogames, then a floor, then the whole shop. Had to travel all the way to Finchley for a decent games shop :mad:
Ofc the same thing has happened to computer games now. First a shelf for console games, now theres only 1 shelf left for PC games and most of that is taken up with prepay cards for WoW etc.

I remember the games shop I went to on Oxford Street disappearing.
Used to sell boardgames, RPGs and figures. First a shelf went to videogames, then a floor, then the whole shop. Had to travel all the way to Finchley for a decent games shop :mad:
Ofc the same thing has happened to computer games now. First a shelf for console games, now theres only 1 shelf left for PC games and most of that is taken up with prepay cards for WoW etc.
I probably bought a few games from that same oxford street shop :)

PCs went from laptops to cell phones to watches

USA became scared of its own shadow.

A have a veruy strong impression that the rate of change came to some kind of abrupt stop around 10 years ago. Not much new happened either in technology or society. It is as if the possibilities are all spent. Notice the remakes in the media...

And in fact the two big changes were the internet swallowing TV time, and the Internet becoming mobile through smartphones. That apart, not much changed from 20 years ago. The world changed far more in the 7 decades before 1945 than in the seven decades after 1945.

Perhaps it is that I thing much of what is being peddled as imminent change now (electric cars, electronic payments, etc) are not really going to take over and replace the old. Much as ebooks were supposed to have killed printed books and failed. I wonder when the limit of online retail will be hit but I think we're neat it also.

Its worth noting that internet going onto mobile phones has connected the entire planet with each other. I agree with your point though.

There is a lot going on in nuclear physics and metamaterials that could change the world again. Lets be honest though its going to be tough to beat fossil capitalism becoming a thing.

I think that rather than like making new things that people can use, new IT developments is more about like data managment rubbish to like spy on people and such

which as I said, not everything new is good, but you need to "be with the times", again: not in the sense of buying into everything, but you need to be aware of what's going on

Top Bottom