1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Feature] Additional Unique Units

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Oct 24, 2018.

1. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

I think this is the best option. The Hittite Hulugani need horse from somewhere, right?

2. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Is there a historical reason why we have horses in Trebizond?

Crimean Lord likes this.
  3. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Any opinions on the preferred two Russian UUs?

Crimean Lord likes this.
  4. Crimean Lord

Crimean Lord Chieftain

As for me: more earlirer COSSAKS and fast STRELETS will be really great:)

Moderator Action: The hashtag joke isn't funny anymore, if it ever was. We get it, thanks. -- Leoreth

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2019
  5. Orbii

Orbii Chieftain

From some brief research on the history of horses in Anatolia, the horses there seem to match the original breeding area for the Canik breed of horses (http://old.eaap.org/Previous_Annual_Meetings/2012Bratislava/Papers/Published/13a_Yilmaz.pdf - Page 7; https://books.google.ca/books?id=Cd...-DAQQ6AEwCHoECAUQAQ#v=onepage&q=canik&f=false). Both of these links state that the much more common Anadolu Pony is now found throughout modern Turkey. I couldn't find anything else that would indicate why the specific horses by Trebizond on the current map are significant.

This Reddit thread goes into some detail about the use of horse breeds by the Byzantines: https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistori...ine_cataphracts_used_the_now_extinct/drwhjm7/. I wasn't able to retrieve any of the cited texts in the thread through my university library's online catalogue, so I can't confirm their veracity or get any other info out of those sources. However, if we take the top post as correct, then you could arguably place a horse in either Cappadocia (1S of the current resource) or in Phrygia (1S or 1SW of the current marble). The latter could be reached from Constantinople/Byzantion.

If we wanted a horse resource in Greece proper, the only option is either in Macedon or Thessaly. On the current map, neither is an option (I think these regions are covered by the sheep tile 2W and 1S of Constantinople, and the two tiles immediately south of that tile, which is a mountain and an Iron hill, respectively. From the same book linked above, Thessalian horses were used in the Macedonian and Thesslian cavalry (https://books.google.ca/books?id=CdJg3qXssWYC&pg=PA417&lpg=PA417&dq=thessalian+horses&source=bl&ots=clDi_-6U22&sig=_bQKolmJYIxVs8MFGlpJUKzqoxc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjN0rmp3dLfAhURJXwKHQeYAJ0Q6AEwDXoECAcQAQ#v=onepage&q=thessalian horses&f=false).

Edit: Corrected a tile reference re: Phrygia.

6. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

New update:
    - American Pioneer replaces Settler: strength 10, can only defend, +50% against Light Cavalry, cities founded in North America receive a free defender and worker
    - Siege Elephant: now +1 strength and +25% against archery and gunpowder units
    - new Ottoman UU: Great Bombard: Bombard with +50% city attack
    - new Chinese UU: Firelancer: Arquebusier with strength 9 and collateral damage, requires Gunpowder
    - new Russian UU: Strelets: Arquebusier with 2 moves, starts with Garrison I
    - moved Pontic Horses to Western Anatolia

7. TJDowling

TJDowling Chieftain

When you say defender does that mean it upgrades according to the tech level, Minuteman -> Rifleman -> Infantry? Is that the same with Worker -> Labourer?

Crimean Lord likes this.
  8. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Yes. Not for Workers though, but I can add that.

TJDowling likes this.
  9. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

New update:
    - improved Strelets button and Dharani unit class fix by merijn_v1
    - Phoenician unique unit changed to Numidian Cavalry, Atlas Elephant removed
    - Korean Hwacha replaces Bombard: strength 8, +25% city attack
    - Russian Cossack replaces Pistolier: strength 10, upgrades to Cavalry
    - Mounted Brave replaces Pistolier: +20% retreat chance

10. soul-breathing

soul-breathing Chieftain

Leo, I have a question, why there're two Heavy Cavalry UUs for France, and Gendarme can update to Guard? For most of the other civs, 2 UUs are different kinds. For France, Heavy cannon, Musketeer(from vanilla civ4) are both good choice as 2nd UU.

Rodnok and Oblivionyx like this.
  11. Fresol

Fresol Angry Halfling in Green

Do you plan to change keshiks back to heavy cavalry now that mangudai has been introduced into the game?

Crimean Lord and h0spitall3rz like this.
  12. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

They look more like Heavy Cavalry now don't they? But it makes more sense to have them be light for gameplay reasons.

h0spitall3rz and Crimean Lord like this.
  13. TJDowling

TJDowling Chieftain

Why does Portugal spawn with a Dharani?

14. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

This should be fixed now.

1SDAN and TJDowling like this.
  15. Genghis Khaiser

Genghis Khaiser Chieftain

As for uniques, the ones that should have according to Leoreth's criteria but don't are these, where I put some suggestions:
    • Babylonian: Vulture. Sumerians are not around, so why not?
    • Dutch: Sea Beggar (Privateer, extra defense on coast), Fluyt (Frigate, moves faster, has two cargo slots), Eastern Indian Company ambassador (Settler, founded cities start with Trading Company).
    • Egyptians: Khopesh (Axeman or Swordsman, better city defense) or Mamluk (Pistolier, available earlier but with no fire weapons, provided you don't mind about it not being Ancient Egyptian).
    • Indonesians: Bring Orang Laut back or Keris (Heavy Swordsman, better jungle movement, amphibious, or good at defending cities).
    • Turks: Ghazi (Axeman, extra plunder), Mamluk (Cuirassier, available earlier), Turkoman raider (Cuirassier, extra plunder).

Otherwise, here are some suggestions:
    • Aztecs: Provided Aztec slaves don't count, Macehualtin (Worker, faster builder or with no terrain limitations), Eagle Warrior (Skirmisher or Spearman with extra collateral damage or city attack, in fact they were actually more relevant than Jaguar Warriors).
    • Malians: Mandelaku (Lancer or heavier Horse Archer, desert movement).
    • Polish: Druzhina (Heavy Swordsman, better either open or closed terrain attack).

Rodnok and Crimean Lord like this.
  16. Oblivionyx

Oblivionyx Chieftain

Since Turkestan represents the Seljuk Turks now, why not give them the Ghulam Warrior as a 2nd UU from before they were playable civs?

I second the Musketeer for France.

Rodnok likes this.
  17. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Ghulams weren't really used in the Seljuk Empire.

18. Genghis Khaiser

One reason why I suggested those is that I thought this civ was not supposed to represent just Seljuks, but Central Asian Turks in general. Having a lot of territorial extension, and representing a lot of cultures and empires, I thought it couldn't not have just one unique unit.

19. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

I'm just saying that Ghulams are not a good choice, because no Turkic polity actually used slave soldiers.

freethink likes this.
  20. Genghis Khaiser

That changes my move. So I'm brainstorming these:
    • Tarkhan, Beg or Khagan (Great General, reduces maintenance when settled or defending a city).
    • Tumen (Lancer, extra pillage with cities and improvements).
    • Turkoman raider (Cuirassier, extra plunder, supposing these ones weren't slaves either).

Crimean Lord likes this.