[Feature] Additional Unique Units

I'm just saying that Ghulams are not a good choice, because no Turkic polity actually used slave soldiers.
not sure about the seljuks but iirc ghaznavids used them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toghrul_of_Ghazna
and I know it's not a legitimate source, but the broken crescent mod for m2tw includes ghulams for most turkic dynasties (the mod SoI is based on).

As far as I know ghulams were used in the Mamluk Sultanate, Safavid Persia, the Mughal Empire, and iirc the Ottoman Empire. While there is some Turkic cultural element to these polities none of them are really modeled by the Turkic civ. Neither the Turkic Khaganate nor the Seljuk Empire had ghulams to the best of my knowledge.

As far as I know ghulams were used in the Mamluk Sultanate, Safavid Persia, the Mughal Empire, and iirc the Ottoman Empire. While there is some Turkic cultural element to these polities none of them are really modeled by the Turkic civ. Neither the Turkic Khaganate nor the Seljuk Empire had ghulams to the best of my knowledge.

In that case, ghulams can be Egypt's second UU. Heavy Swordsman replacement, with 25% against mounted units? That could represent how (according to Wikipedia) they repelled the Mongols that sacked Baghdad and attempted to invade Egypt.

I don't want to represent medieval Egypt with the civ.

Ok I searched a little bit more about the Seljuks and it seems Seljuks used ghulams (it's a Turkish master thesis btw): https://www.atauni.edu.tr/selcuklu-...i-tarihsel-gelisimi-ozellikleri-ve-uygulanisi

I'm unsure about the quality of the paper, but there are also some quotes about the ghulams from Nizam al-Mulk so at least we are sure that they are used.

Pity, Mamluks are great fun in merijn_v1 modmod.
That's why they are a different civ and that's why it's a modmod.

Perhaps 'Conquistador' should be a special unit, rather than a unique unit for Spain. That is, the first players to discover the Aztecs and Inca should receive several Conquistador units in the starting stack with the conquerors event. That might open a slot for Spain to receive a second UU -- if the 'tercio' is already covered, perhaps a 'treasure galleon' or some other naval unit.

Putting this great idea where it belongs.
I think that the Spanish would benefit from a unique galleon, maybe one that has an extra slot for non combat units?

I know this is a late reply, but here's a suggestion for Chinese UU: Lisheng ("sages of rites" 禮生/礼生 lǐshēng), a Confucian missionary that gains X gold when spreading in foreign cities, maybe depending on the city population/culture/commerce, or calculated exactly the same as city conquest.

I think it is more suitable than fire lance for several reasons:
(1) Chu-ko-nu is good enough a counter to melee and light cavalries, and fire lance seems to be redundant.
(2) Chinese game plays barely involve massive land conflicts except versus Mongolians, whose light cavalries could be countered by Chu-ko-nu already. Even if other land conflicts were expected, Chinese are usually favored due to a technology edge. So a land military unit might not be necessary at all.
(3) Historically Chinese dynasties have been diplomatically active since BCE (Han dynasty), which is underrepresented in the game where all Chinese UHVs are internal. A missionary UU to foreign countries is a way to emphasize this missing aspect.
(4) The gained money reflects Chinese tributary/cefong system. Another historical flavor.
(5) It synergizes well with the Confucian URV.
(6) Game-play-wise, it provides Chinese a better economic recovery from early-mid game settling.
(7) I am not a modder, but my guess is adding this function to the unit is not too much from combining 'spread a religion' (missionary units) and 'conduct a trade mission' (GM units).

That's a cool idea, but I'd rather avoid unique units for religious units or unique buildings for religious buildings because a) they lock a civ into a specific religion and b) in this case in particular China is generally the only one building Confucian missionaries, so this would replace the only instance of the Confucian Missionary usually seen in the game with a UU.

However, I plan to include some kind of Envoy unit later in development along with some diplomacy changes, so it could be a cool replacement UU for that.

Top Bottom