[Feature] Additional Unique Units

Maybe the Pioneer should replace the Settler instead of the Worker? Its effect could be that upon founding a city a Worker and a Minuteman spawn in it.

would the bonus obsolete? If so, when? Perhaps the bonus could obsolete...

Knoedel s idea is really cool; and I think it makes lots of sense. Though it looks a bit imba and creates the incentive to spam settlers everywhere, so I see tjdowlings argument for restrictions.
Modified idea: when founding a city in the core it spawns a worker; when founding a city in historical areas it spawns a minuteman; no bonus at all in foreign areas. (Optional: +1 move or military strength of 6).

A totally different approach would be: give the Pioneers some weapons! Workers get a strength of 6-8; laborers get a strength of 12-15 or something. Just enough for defense. That way, the US get some more city defense against colonial nations and natives. (which they need imho)
It also reflects on that "right to be armed" that the Nra goes on about.

Knoedel s idea is really cool; and I think it makes lots of sense. Though it looks a bit imba and creates the incentive to spam settlers everywhere, so I see tjdowlings argument for restrictions.
Modified idea: when founding a city in the core it spawns a worker; when founding a city in historical areas it spawns a minuteman; no bonus at all in foreign areas. (Optional: +1 move or military strength of 6).

A totally different approach would be: give the Pioneers some weapons! Workers get a strength of 6-8; laborers get a strength of 12-15 or something. Just enough for defense. That way, the US get some more city defense against colonial nations and natives. (which they need imho)
It also reflects on that "right to be armed" that the Nra goes on about.
I like that both ideas, the latter is good because American pioneers have historically been quite well-armed and one of the major problems you face is a shortage of units to protect your workers from natives. Regarding the first idea another way would be having a chance of spawning worker or minuteman or nothing at all within historical territory. That way it's still a gamble you can't just send a settler out unprotected and assume you'll get a solid settlement. That said this is kind of veering more into unique power than unique unit territory.

I like that both ideas, the latter is good because American pioneers have historically been quite well-armed and one of the major problems you face is a shortage of units to protect your workers from natives. Regarding the first idea another way would be having a chance of spawning worker or minuteman or nothing at all within historical territory. That way it's still a gamble you can't just send a settler out unprotected and assume you'll get a solid settlement. That said this is kind of veering more into unique power than unique unit territory.

I think it will be COOL if U.S. pioneers have enough power to defeat or protect themselves from Indians' issue ONLY in pure plains (no hills or forests) - similar bonus Horseman's units already have after promotion;
But on the other hand Native Tribes save its bonus in forests - as a result there will be some balance between Americans and Indians;

Re: Russia

Is there a way to buff up a spy? KGB agent? Would be a great to highlight the USSRs prowess at espionage.
IIRC there are already several wonders in the game to highlight this

They are called red hats now.

Re: Russia

Is there a way to buff up a spy? KGB agent? Would be a great to highlight the USSRs prowess at espionage.
I almost never use spies at all because I don't find their effects very impactful but if there was a spy UU that was sufficiently powerful I might use it.

I rebased this branch on current develop to fix a couple of bugs. If you want to update, you need to delete and fetch the branch again. However, I plan to quickly finish and merge this feature.

Okay, I read the entire thread again and here's my plan:
- America: Pioneer becomes a settler UU that can defend itself (I have combined nice art of a wagon train with armed guards), strong enough to defeat barbarian units of its time. When founding a city on the North American continent a Worker and Minuteman appear.
- Ottomans: Great Bombard (some city attack bonus plus maybe bombard damage), Siege Elephant will receive some other benefit
- China: Firelance as Arquebusier replacement with Gunpowder and collateral damage
- Phoenicia: Numidian Cavalry replaces Atlas Elephant

I want to address the following problems but am still unsure how:
- Russia: consider earlier Cossacks as UU
- Russia: choose two out of Strelets / Cossack / Katyusha as their UUs (Strelets would be nice with two moves and strength vs. cavalry)
- Greece: review if it is a problem that Companions require Horses and if so, how to solve it (better Horse access or removing Horse requirement)
- Aztecs: Eagle Warrior has been suggested as a second UU but I am unsure if I want to add it
- Korea: Hwacha should come later to be historically accurate, see if that makes sense and if so as what kind of unit

Basically that means the last section of points is still open for discussion.

- Greece: review if it is a problem that Companions require Horses and if so, how to solve it (better Horse access or removing Horse requirement)

There are horses in Egypt. The AI gets conquerors in that area and I think it is a nice challenge for the human player to conquer it to be able to build the Companions. (You need to conquer it anyway for the UHV)

That's true, but part of the point of the UU is to help you complete your conquests on time, so making them dependent on successful conquests would turn that on its head.

There's Horses in Bulgaria/Romania right by the Black Sea, just settle a city on top of them.

I think Greece can train Companion Cavalry most of the time, though, since aside from what Knoedel said, AI Greece often settles Byzantium or somewhere nearby, which can grab the aforementioned Horse tile.

What bothers me with the Hwacha is that if possible, it should not replace the Bombard--the niches of the two siege units are more divergent than any of the other siege UU's.

Last edited:
What do you mean by that? Hwacha being field combat oriented while Bombard being city attack oriented?

I thought about a similar deal to the Roman Ballista where the Hwacha could replace the Bombard with less penalties in field combat.

Yes, that one. Good point about the Ballista, though. I guess that would be a good setup, then!

Okay, I read the entire thread again and here's my plan:
- America: Pioneer becomes a settler UU that can defend itself (I have combined nice art of a wagon train with armed guards), strong enough to defeat barbarian units of its time. When founding a city on the North American continent a Worker and Minuteman appear.
- Ottomans: Great Bombard (some city attack bonus plus maybe bombard damage), Siege Elephant will receive some other benefit
- China: Firelance as Arquebusier replacement with Gunpowder and collateral damage
- Phoenicia: Numidian Cavalry replaces Atlas Elephant

I want to address the following problems but am still unsure how:
- Russia: consider earlier Cossacks as UU
- Russia: choose two out of Strelets / Cossack / Katyusha as their UUs (Strelets would be nice with two moves and strength vs. cavalry)
- Aztecs: Eagle Warrior has been suggested as a second UU but I am unsure if I want to add it
- Korea: Hwacha should come later to be historically accurate, see if that makes sense and if so as what kind of unit

Basically that means the last section of points is still open for discussion.

I think it will be great if COSSAKS will appear earlier than Biology - perhaps it will be enough accurate if they will replace pistoliers:)
And about Greece's Companions: may be better horse access is better - espessially if Western Anatolia (ancient Lydiya) will have HORSES + Byzantium and Ottomans could use them too!

Top Bottom