Female GP Names

Some artists cos that's all I know:

France: Berthe Morisot, Edith Piaf (obviously a singer but influential enough)
America: Mary Cassatt, presume Georgia O'Keefe has been mentioned, Charlotte Perkins Gilman (wrote the Yellow Wallpaper),
England: Bridget Riley, obviously Brontes and Austen but they're probably in already?
Germany: Clara Schumann
Colombia: Shakira (?)

EDIT: just remembered a stateswoman for Spain http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolores_Ibárruri

A few for France:

Great Artists

- Olympe de Gouge
- Christine de Pizan
- George Sand
- Marie Tussaud
- Dora Maar
- Madame de Pompadour
- Nadia Boulanger

Great Scientists

- Simone de Beauvoir: it might be a bit debatable to put her as scientist instead of as artist.
- Emilie du Châtelet
- Irène Joliot-Curie

Great Merchants

- Nina Ricci: I think other fashion-related GPs are merchants too, so she'd fit here.
- Marie Marvingt: she was an aviator and although I think there are a few in this category (men), that may be a stretch.

Great Prophets

- Simone Weil: It's rather an odd categoy choice but I think that'd fit her better than stateman or artist (and there are so many artists already).
- Germaine Ribière: Not strictly a prophet... but then again you won't find many French prophets :p
- Saint Genevieve

Great Stateswomen

- Simone Veil: Not to mix up with Simone Weil above, Simone Veil is still alive. She's one of the most famous French politicians.
- Isabeau of Bavaria
- Duchess of Montpensier
- Margaret of Provence
- Louise Michel
- Josephine de Beauharnais
- Marie Antoinette
- Eleanor of Aquitaine

Great Spies

Most of them are from WWII's resistance.

- Violette Szabo
- Suzanne Spaak
- Denise Bloch
- Madeleine Damerment

Great Generals

- Joan of Arc
- Madame Sans-Gêne
- Jeanne Hachette: may not be worthy enough of a GP
- Caroline Aigle
- Fiery Joanna: she was from Brittany though, so it may not count.

Okay, that's more than a few :p

In all honesty I wouldn't put Marie Antoinette as a Great Stateswoman, her real influence in Louis XVI's reign is uncertain and at best she pushed him towards bad decisions (like fleeing to Austria, when he was arrested at Varenne).

Here's some potential Canada Female GPs:

Great Statesmen (well, Stateswomen)

Emily Murphy - Leader of the Famous Five that eventually had females recognized as persons under Canadian law (therefore gaining all the rights of men), as well as developing the "Living Tree Doctrine" of Canadian constitutional interpretation and the first female judge in the British Empire

Nellie Mclung - Another member of the Famous Five and a key figure in the (women's) suffrage movement

Great Scientists

Roberta Bondar - Scientist best known for being the first female Canadian in space

Do you want me to repost the stateswomen in the Great Statesman thread to help you keep track?

I maintain my own list too, so it's enough to just post them once.

here a few names, some are probably not so good..

Female German/Austrian GP:

Statesmen:
Clara Zetkin (Politics)
Rosa Luxemburg (Politics)
Petra Kelly (Politics)
Angela Merkel (Politics)

Engineers:
Bertha Benz (Benz Patent-Motorwagen) (Daimler-Benz, Mercedes etc.)
Irmgard Lotz (Mathematics, Aerodynamics, Control Engineering)
Ilse Essers (Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering)
Käthe Paulus (Foldable Parachute)
Anke Kaysser-Pyzalla (Mechanical Engineering)
Ilse Knott-ter Meer (Mechanical Engineering)
Doris Schmitt-Landsiedel (Electrical Engineering)
Jutta Saatweber (Electrical Engineering)

Merchants:
Melitta Bentz (Kaffeefilter)

Scientists:
Christiane Nüsslein-Volhard (Nobel Prize Medicine)
Maria Goeppert-Mayer (Nobel Prize Physics)(German-American)
Emmy Noether (Mathematics)
Marga Faulstich (Chemistry/Optics)
1 - Hildegard von Bingen (Religious, Medical & Poetic Author)
Caroline Herschel (Astronomy)

Artists:
Herta Müller (Nobel Prize Literature)
Bertha von Suttner (Literature / Nobel Peace Prize)
Käthe Kollwitz (Painter/Sculptress)
Meret Oppenheim (Painter/Sculptress)
Jil Sander (Fashion Designer) (real name: Heidemarie Jiline Sander)
Leni Riefenstahl (Actor, Photographer, Movie Director)
Bettina von Arnim (Writer) (real name: Elisabeth Catharina Ludovica Magdalena von Arnim)
Marlene Dietrich (Actress) (real name: Marie Magdalene Dietrich)
Hildegard Knef (Actress)
Clara Schumann (Componist)

Prophets:
Edith Stein (Philosophy - Martyr/Saint in the Roman Catholic Church)
Uta Ranke-Heinemann (Theology)
Maria Jepsen (Bishop)
Margot Käßmann (Bishop)

Vikings Great Prophets:
Aslaug - wife of Ragnar. Prophecied that her child would have the image of Fafnir the dragon in his eye. Also was, apparently, proficient in magic.
Ingrid Ylva - she was, legendarily, a witch-kinda gal who turned feathers into soldiers. Sounds like prophet material to me!

Updated the first post to the current state of available names (combined with what is already in SaibotLieh's female GP mod). It's looking really good so far, thanks to everyone who's contributed!

As of right now, France and America are the only civs where we have GP names for every type. I think it's possible to achieve the same for all European civs, most of them only lack one or two types.

There are also some that don't have any names right now:
  • Phoenicia
  • Polynesia
  • Persia
  • Byzantium
  • Tibet
  • Mongolia
  • Turkey

It'd be great if we could have at least 1-2 types with female names for them (except maybe Tibet which only has Prophet names right now anyway).

I'll start including the names suggested so far into the game now. As far as the contest is concerned, suggested names that are also in SaibotLieh's mod have counted up until this point, but from now on they won't.

As air nomads from ATLA are widely inspired from tibetan culture, maybe we could add Jinora as a tibetan Great Prophet ? (if you look for me, I'm already outside...)

As air nomads from ATLA are widely inspired from tibetan culture, maybe we could add Jinora as a tibetan Great Prophet ? (if you look for me, I'm already outside...)
SaibotLieh had lots of James Bond characters as great spy names ...

Tibetan stuff.

Stateswomen?:

The most prominent women featuring in Tibetan history past the 20th century were perhaps two wives of Songtsän Gampo: Khri-btsun and Mung-chang, the purported respective carriers of Buddhism and 'Sinic culture' to Tibet.

There was, of course, his mother as well: Queen Dringma Togo, whose Tsepong clan played a major role in unifying Tibet.

For a later stateswoman, perhaps the Empress Trimalo would work, who consolidated Imperial Tibet [subduing the Gar clan and maintaining cordial contact with Tang China].

For prophets:

Machig Labdrön was a tantric Buddhist practitioner who heavily influenced the evolution of Tibetan Buddhism.

Yeshe Tsogyal was a consort to Padmasambhava and a practitioner of Tantric teachings. Very influential to the modern Nyingma school of Tibetan Buddhism.

Machig Zhama, another tantric practitioner, known for Lamdre.

For 'scientists', though I am hesitant to call them such (the following are practitioners of a Buddhist-influenced teaching sect [Ras-chung snyan-brgyud], but it appears as though there is not much better):

Machig Ongjo and Kunden Rema

Other teachers from various styles and sects:

Kalden Tso, Jomo Nyangmo, Shumoza Mangkyi

There's a few more prophets I can dig up, but I'll do that tomorrow.

Probably.

I'll also start scouring through the few books on Mongolian history I have.

Even though researching all those people is a drag, I am learning so much right now. For instance, I just found out that Mary Shelley was the daughter of Mary Wollstonecraft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pwa_Saw was a Burmese queen, but we can give her to the Cambodians or Siamese if we want. Or start a list for Independents :p

No. Burma and Cambodia are not even remotely the same.
Ugh. This just reminds me how we have Dai Viet as a Dynamic Name for Khmer.
Just a quick request for Leoreth to remove it as it doesn't make any sense.

Vikings:

Stateswoman: Margaret I

Artist: Astrid Lindgren, Anna Ancher, Karen Blixen, Susanne Bier, Greta Garbo

I apologise that these suggestions are somewhat biased towards Denmark.

Mughal:

Prophet: Malala Yousafsai (assuming that modern Pakistan indeed is represented by the Mughals in-game)

Vikings:

Stateswoman: Margaret I

Artist: Astrid Lindgren, Anna Ancher, Karen Blixen, Susanne Bier, Greta Garbo

I apologise that these suggestions are somewhat biased towards Denmark.

Mughal:

Prophet: Malala Yousafsai (assuming that modern Pakistan indeed is represented by the Mughals in-game)

Since there is Greta Garbo, I will also suggest Ingrid Bergman as Great Artist.

Top Bottom