FF 0.42 Bug Thread

Discussion in 'Fall Further' started by xienwolf, Sep 23, 2008.

1. shrike2005

shrike2005 Chieftain

My scout explored a lair and gained the spirit guide promotion, but when he died many turns later due to close encounter with a giant, a warrior in my capital gained a big xp boost. Is'nt only supposed to grant xp to other units in the stack?

2. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

@shrike2005: I think it's working as intended. I'm not really sure about the details of how spirit guide works, but AFAIK, when a unit with spirit guide dies, 50% of its XP is given to another one of your units.

@xienwolf: I can see your reasoning about the "raiders" trait being a benefit AND a drawback. but I really think it should be just a benefit. and that new mechanic you gave to the Nox Noctis is so awesome that it seems only natural to apply it to the "raiders" trait as well ;)

3. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

Spirit Guide grants the 50% XP to any unit in your empire, randomly selected. There isn't even a weighting factor to make it more likely to hit a unit in your stack, or even a combat unit. You can easily wind up having all of your lovely Guide XP landing on a Great Prophet.

It is a valid point about Raiders. I'll leave it to Vehem overall though, since with the tools in the SDK such a change is pure XML to accomplish (you make the trait grant an EffectPromotion which enables a spell to activate the Raider Ability (and remove the free promotion from the trait), and the Raider Ability enables a spell to remove itself (and re-apply the promotion from the trait)

4. Locust-71

Locust-71 King of Athel Loren

Me think Great Persons should get no Spirit Guide XP. Me think that wrong. :nono:

5. Locust-71

Python Exception after a quickload (F8).

Not repeatable. I quickloaded the same quicksave 3 times to see if I could provoke the same PE to come back, but it didn't. :sad:

Attached Files:

6. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

Well, it is worse in base FfH where your workers can quite often wind up with the bonus XP, and they cannot gain any promotions either. Unless you are the Luchuirp it is pretty hard for the XP to be totally wasted in FF (equipment, golems, loki, GP are about all I can think of with no UnitCombat)

The python exception is just a minor updating glitch I would imagine. Coincidence of having hit the quickload at just the right moment in the processing of files or somesuch.

7. Locust-71

Ok, no biggie then. (I quickloaded after my druid was "lost without a trace" when searching a dungeon).

But I have another mysterious case:

When I capture a Svartalfar Worker with the spell Domination, the worker keeps the elven race promotion.

But when I capture whith the promotion Command, the worker drops his race promotion. Why? :confused:

And sometimes I get TWO workers.

8. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

Because when you kill a worker it will spawn a new worker under your control. It is a completely and totally new unit, hence not having the same promotions as the one you captured did. The occasional second worker is you actually managing to capture the worker by Command, and that one WILL retain the proper race and promotions.

It is a throwback to base Civ4 because there a worker is JUST a worker (for the most part), so rather than bother with transfer of ownership, it just creates a new one out of the mold. Same thing is actually done for capture of equipment. It is a function I had intended to rewrite a while ago when I did Workermod, but I hadn't ever sat down to do it.

9. Sarisin

Sarisin Deity

In my game playing as Sheaim I was incredibly lucky (so I thought) and the first goody hut I hit on Turn 2 changed my Scout to a Werewolf.

I thought this would be great defeating animals and barbs and turning them into werewolves. Uh, no.

First, no werewolves from killing wolves (ironic, huh?). Then, I got the Capture Animal promotion. The animals I captured were not turned into werewolves - this might have been a good thing as I wanted them for my carnival.

Then, I started killing barb Goblins and an occasional Warrior. Again, no werewolves.

The Scout clearly has the 'werewolf promotion' but he is not creating any werewolves when he kills a unit.

Problem with FF, FFH or am I missing something?

Thanks.

10. Sarisin

Sarisin Deity

Thanks to you and Gekko for the response on the first question. This mod takes a bit getting used to with the Workers. I had a Hunter killed by a defending worker the other day - that really surprised me! Yes, I use that defense strength promotion last on my workers preferring the others.

On the second question, sorry, but I don't buy that explanation. I think in this case FFH has it right in giving you the option to pillage or not if you are playing a civ with the Raiders promotion. This automatic pillaging is very annoying when you are trying to preserve the improvements of a city you want to capture. You have to rebuild the automatically pillage improvements, and in the case of Towns, Villages, etc. it is especially bad. I try to avoid the improvements as much as possible when I approach the city, but that is a little silly IMO. Either have a choice, or just revert back to the way FFH does it.

Thanks again for your response.

11. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

about the werewolf issue: did you get a "random event style" pop-up when you moved over that goody hut, or was it just a regular goody hut? it was probably Foxford, a unique improvement added in patch L ( IIRC ) . it has the same graphics as a normal goody hut and the tags for unique improvements have been disabled for the time being ( they were causing issues in multiplayer IIRC ) , so it looks like any other goody hut :D but it should stay even after popped afaik. so this is a FF issue I guess. it looks like Foxford has a couple of bugs, maybe that's why those villagers are so angry :lol:

12. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

Actually the Werewolf promotion has never been responsible for creating new Werewolves. It is the Werewolf Units that are able to make new units (hence different odds for creation of a werewolf based on level of progression of the werewolf attacking).

13. MaxAstro

MaxAstro Spiral Knight

So then what is actually the point of giving the werewolf promotion? XD

14. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

To prevent the units from getting some other race?

Actually, I'm pretty sure that the promotion used to be responsible for creating werewolves--but that was before the move to BtS.

15. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

Flavor, or the same mistake you made in trying to use the promotion, an assumption that it would perform the mechanic associated with being a werewolf :) It can be coded to work, and was on my initial list of things to move from UnitInfos to PromotionInfos, but by the time I got to being able to do String statements, I had beed distracted by a lot of new things instead of simple imports.

16. Sarisin

Sarisin Deity

Yes, the goody hut remains after getting my Scout the werewolf promotion. I moved a different unit on it, and nothing happens.

Honestly, it appears the werewolf promotion in this case does nothing. A unit like the Baron, Greater Werewolf or Blooded Werewolf has a CHANCE that it will convert a living unit to a Ravenous Werewolf when it kills it - not a sure thing.

My Scout had killed many units and zippo. Also, I have upgraded the Scout to a Hunter and he still has the werewolf promotion. He has 100 XP. No werewolves produced, though, so the event/goody hut seems useless and not worth the risk of losing the unit (one of the options) unless fixed. ;)

17. arkham4269

arkham4269 Court Writer - Orbis Mod

Not sure if this is a bug or intended, but in the last two games of mine, I've taken over as Hyperborem and found Dis being founded at the hind-end of Knowne Space as it were.

I'm playing with the faction start on a Tectonic map. Each time the Infernals have spawned in a corner of a icy waste. What is odd about this is there was (in the first game) a sub-continent that was mostly empty except for Barbarian cities; you'd think Dis would be found there. In my current game, I play Sheiam and rushed Infernal pact pretty fast so the world is still pretty empty (play with 6 players on a small map with the Tectonic/Lakes 30% water map so there's plenty of open land, even for 6 players) and still the Infernals spawn in this icy waste.

Is this intentional? :confused:

BTW, I'm suprised there aren't any wandering zombies. I'd think that zombies that infect creatures that they kill would be a real nasy 'barbarian' to have to deal with!

18. Sarisin

Sarisin Deity

Creatures that are killed...are dead! No need to worry about being diseased/infected. ;)

However, I like the idea of having Barb Zombies - the worry there would be if you kill THEM you get diseased. You'd need Priest/Medic units which can come later in the game, Aqua Sucellus, or the Poor of Tears.

19. arkham4269

arkham4269 Court Writer - Orbis Mod

Actually, being infect by a zombie could be like getting the crazed promotion except when the 'infection' kicks in, the unit not only becomes a barbarian, but one that also has the zombie promotion and can pass it on.

Have an issue here; not sure if it's a bug. I was under the impression that razing cities was supposed to hike up the AC. I'm playin Sheaim and I've struggled to get the AC to 50. I'd go around and having Ritualists build AV temples and sometimes that would raise the AC, sometimes not. Now, I just razed 4 cities and the net gain was a loss of 2 on the AC since I had two units built with the Prophecy promotion killed. What gives? I was sort of hoping to build Meshabber Dis since I haven't built him since about...oh FfH ver 2.3-ish.

It seems that the AC either goes crazy fast up the scale or really slow. this game almost everyone is evil (although folks like the Calabim ar FoL - which I've noticed the vampires seem to like) and right now even though the Infernals got wiped out, I wiped out Basium and so there are no Good Civs and no race with Order or Empyriam. So why is it so hard to get the AC up? :confused:

20. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

@arkham: the number that is shown in the AI display is a percentage based on map size and number of civs, so it can be confusing to look at ( sometimes you expect it to change but the number displayed remains the same )