FF 0.42 Bug Thread

As far as I'm aware, captured units always upgrade into the capturing civ's units... Never seen it otherwise, at the least.

There is an <UpgradeCiv> tag that makes units upgrade to a specific civ's version instead of the owner's, but this is rather underused.

Yeah, Kael placed the UpgradeCiv tag on a few units which don't make sense to have it, and missed a ton of units that do make sense. Just have to find them as they come up and make the appropriate adjustments I suppose.

Pretty unlikely that we will do anything like the CivRev mod anytime soon. Tons of things on the design docs already which are continually being pushed aside for other ideas that swarm in. Main reason we don't tell people what our plans are for the future of the mod are because we keep on revising and expanding on ideas and haven't the time to develop them all.

Well in some respects it's too bad that it couldn't be worked that if barbarians are left to themselves long enough, they might become a separate Clan of Embers race. Or maybe if fiddle around so they join the game as Sheaim if the Clan is already in the game (due to Archeron) or Doviello depending on who is or isn't in the game.

In the new version, I'm getting advisor pop-ups ("this city wants to build a settler", "you've claimed your first food resource", etc) all the time even though I've got them turned off in options. I'm running FF 42L on FfH 33G.

I was thinking about something like Revolution for FfH/FF lately too, because I really like this mechanic, but FfH/FF is very different to BtS in many respects, not only from a lore perspective:

One problem: At the moment it makes only sense to let the barabarian cities become the Clan of Embers "civilization". You could get around this by adding dwarven, human and elven barbarians, but then you would have to take care that a barbarian city stays with a certain race and is not producing a potpourri of units from different races.

Another problem: There are some civs which are very likely to split in two civs. Take the Ljosalfar/Svaratalfar or Amurites/Khadi for example. For most of the other civs it is more difficult. Why the hell should an elven race revolt in the middle of Clan of Embers territory, if they never lived there or how likely would it be that the Bannor found their own state in Khazak? You could around this by allowing the same civ under different leaders, but you are limited by the number of possible different leaders then.

patch N : I captured a giant spider, and in its mouseover info it says "hidden on DECODE" and "can see DECODE" , not sure what "DECODE" means though.

also, on patch N barbarian world setting leads to A LOT of sea monsters, not sure if it's intended or if it was an issue already solved in patch O ;)

edit @Jean Elcard: actually the limited number of leaders is an issue easily solved by doing what Revolution does: spawn a new leader with the same traits and a different name :D

I was thinking about something like Revolution for FfH/FF lately too, because I really like this mechanic, but FfH/FF is very different to BtS in many respects, not only from a lore perspective:

One problem: At the moment it makes only sense to let the barabarian cities become the Clan of Embers "civilization". You could get around this by adding dwarven, human and elven barbarians, but then you would have to take care that a barbarian city stays with a certain race and is not producing a potpourri of units from different races.

Another problem: There are some civs which are very likely to split in two civs. Take the Ljosalfar/Svaratalfar or Amurites/Khadi for example. For most of the other civs it is more difficult. Why the hell should an elven race revolt in the middle of Clan of Embers territory, if they never lived there or how likely would it be that the Bannor found their own state in Khazak? You could around this by allowing the same civ under different leaders, but you are limited by the number of possible different leaders then.

It wouldn't be hard to make "culture groups" where new civilizations would have a preset race, some civ from that race's tech tree, and a random leader.

Sorry about the DECODE bit, I got a tad overzealous in cleaning up my text keys. If you add this chunk to any of the GameText XML files it'll work properly.

Code:
    <TEXT>
        <Tag>DECODE</Tag>
        <English>%s1</English>
        <French>%s1</French>
        <German>%s1</German>
        <Italian>%s1</Italian>
        <Spanish>%s1</Spanish>
    </TEXT>

And the tons of sea monsters is a feature waiting on feedback from playtesting. Previously water creatures were VERY restricted in how many could ever spawn, I thought that was a bit harsh, so cut the restrictions back quite considerably.

I am more interested less of your own cities revolting than barbarian cities becoming minor/major civs later on. I mean in a way if barbarians have cities, large territory with roads, farms and the like, then they aren't barbarians anymore, right?

However, in regards to your other point, I have always wished every civ, regardless of BtS or FfH/FF had a minor civ associated with it so if there was a rebellion, there would be a preset group w/a leader(s). In some ways, it would seem easy to have these leaders be the opposite of the current leader so if you have a Agg/Ind leader, the counter leader would be Phil/Fin for example to show that certain elements of the Civ don't want to go where the current leader is leading.

Another idea is to put a twist on the Minister Kohn idea. In Sid Meier's Alpha Centuari: Alien Crossfire, they had a Civ that represented slaves that through off their chains. While you could play them from the beginning, they had a mechanic that if a Civ's city got bad and revolted, it always went to this Civ. So maybe you could have a minor Civ that comes about due to unhappy cities and if left alone, this Civ would grow as other cities revolted.

Not sure if this is the thread for cosmetic issues, but I find the Order's custom religion-based interface makes it difficult to read certain text. Specifically, the amount of gold I have and how much gold I am gaining per turn. Actually, pretty much all the white fonts are difficult to read (time, turn, unit stats, etc).

Obviously I can just play without that option, but I'm curious whether it can change the font color too, or maybe just darken the background a bit.

Can probably change the font pretty easily, not entirely certain on that one though. Ideally they will all get a nice overhaul sometime to match better with seZereth's new default HUD, but I lack the time (and skill) to do it myself any time soon.

City screen stuff mostly readable? If the only issue is the gold/GPT then I could make that change for the next version easily.

City screen's pretty bad too, specifically buildings and number of resources the city has (although that information isn't exactly important). Not quite as terrible since you can mouse over most things in the city screen and get a detailed tooltip that uses the default HUD interface colors.

That's what I kind of figured. So a complete redesign would be needed, or going through and deciding on precisely which elements need the font color changed and which font will be the most visible/least distracting.... Something I tend to prove horrible at doing ;)

I'll mark it on my list of things to do at some random point though to maybe just make the current skin all a bit darker.

Due to a misplaced semi-colon, you'll notice that Mana Surge is able to be cast at any time you so desire until you run out of uses. It is intended that you cannot construct it unless someone you are at war with has a project with some production invested. I've fixed it for the big Scions release post-FfH 34.

a couple cosmetic issues: the new hud is great, but I still feel it makes it very difficult to see the helth bar under units' portraits. the religious interfaces are cool, but for now I'm playing with those switched off cuz sometimes they make it difficult to see the info ( the OO interface is a nightmare for example with all those tentacles :D )

I am more interested less of your own cities revolting than barbarian cities becoming minor/major civs later on. I mean in a way if barbarians have cities, large territory with roads, farms and the like, then they aren't barbarians anymore, right?

This is something I have been complaining about in FFH for several versions now. I think the main cause of the problem is that the AI NEVER razes any cities anymore - except for the those with a pop. of 1. EVERY city is captured now despite the location. This includes the barbarians too, and I think it is not with what you might think raging barbs would do. They truly become squatting barbs vs. raging barbs.

They get plenty of cities through spawning, and if you select the Barbarian World option. I would like to see them raze every city they take. Of course this would move the counter along faster too unless you had Adepts running around sanctifying all the ruins to help lower it a bit.

It just doesn't make sense to me either having barb cities building all those improvements, having beaucoup Workers, Wonders, Great People, Forbidden City, etc.

Top Bottom