Final Fantasy Mod Progress Thread, Part III

:king: bump
Hey, was just wondering whether o r not ny new progress had been made. Im just so excited for this mod ^^

No, not much... been too busy with the hollidays and such (I just got back from a 3-day trip down to Parris Island to watch one of my best friends graduate from Marine Corps boot camp) to get much done aside from a few units and to kick around a few ideas....

One of the top priorities, once I get the Orcish Warmachine done (a.k.a Ork Gargant) is to implement a whole-new set of unique techs that allow different stuff for good, evil and neutral civs....

For instance, only good and neutral civs can build churches and temples... Evil civs build Chaos Shrines and Dark Altars instead, and only good civs can build Aeris' Church, while the Evil and Neutral civs will have something in its place they can build.

In addition, only Evil civs will be able to research the tech for an Imperialist government (basically an amalgum of the style of governments that the Shinra corporation, Jeuno, Vector and Galbadia were under), and only good good civs can research democracy. There will be other things, but it will take quite a while to re-structure the entir tech tree (as well as finish up the modern era one), and as I've said many many times before, If I had some help with some simple, but time-consuming things, such as ferreting up pics for tech icons and such, I'd probably be done by now, but as it is, all my civ-modding time is currently being hogged up by unit making.

Okay, This will be one of the last posts made in this thread....

Currently, I've almost got the entire tech tree (including the background arrows) almost done, and will be shoring up the unit lines now.... I've realized (after seeing all my LHs given a 1-star rating, and the results of the past few graphics competitions) that I have no talent as a unit, LH or graphics creator, so I'll be throwing together a mish-mash of placeholders and hoping that the impending beta release will get some people with actual skill and talent involved to replace all the crappy stuff I wasted my time creating with something that looks decent.

Anyways, once the units and buildings are set (with placeholders where needed), I'll be uploading the first beta onto the Storm Over Civ fourms, and posting a Beta-testing thread over here.

In addition, the Final Fantasy forums are up over at Storm over Civ, but I request that you refrain from posting until I copy over and edit the data contained in the first pages of this thread.....

Stay tuned for further progress updates.

Anyways, once the units and buildings are set (with placeholders where needed), I'll be uploading the first beta onto the Storm Over Civ fourms, and posting a Beta-testing thread over here.
Sweet! :D

Who the hell gave your LHs 1-star!? Sure they didn't look EXACTLY like the characters, but they still look great.

Woahwoahwoah mate, your LH's and Units are great! You're a very talented unit maker and they're perfect for both the mod and for any fantasy or scifi mod!

Well, you could chalk it up to a combination of Seasonal Affective Disorder (I hate winter), the fact that I've been freezing my butt off for the past week (I REALLY hate winter), and lack of sleep... Otherwise I probably wouldn't care.

I WILL try, time permitting, to find a half-decent placeholder for Emperor Gramis Solidor (I think Rob made a few gray-bearded old imperial looking dudes), and maybe make Emperor Paramekia and Grand Vizier Razfahd, but that depends on how long some important business that needs to be taken care of this weekend takes.

Hopefully, if I don't have a ton (or for that matter, a tonne) of homework tonight, I'll be able to finish up the tech tree.... I may have to "wing" it for the techs, but whatever.

Also, about some of the alignment-specific techs, I've decided to add a few additional buildings and such to reflect the charachter of the alignment and complement their abilities, etc....

For instance, with the ALignment-specific tech "Way of the Ancients" (good civs only), they get a no-maint happiness building (due to the fact that the best government for good civs has WW, low unit support and no MP) called "Cetra Shrine" (which will be modeled either after the ampitheater type building or the central Shell shrine in teh city of the ancients) and Aeris' Church, which has the same effect as JS Bach's (although only 1 good civ per game can build it). Neutral civs will have a wonder called "Myrrh Trade" (as in FF CC) or something similar, which gives them an economic boost, since their best government, unlike the other two, doesn't have a tile trade bonus, etc.....

Don't be too hard on yourself. Your works are just what fantasy and steampunk modders need. :) Speaking of which, are you still up for making that terracotta re-color I requested? It was one of your recent units.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Your works are just what fantasy and steampunk modders need. :) Speaking of which, are you still up for making that terracotta re-color I requested? It was one of your recent units.

I'll get around to it after the beta release....

the fact that I've been freezing my butt off for the past week (I REALLY hate winter),
If it makes you feel better, it's probably colder where I live. The temperature's not forecasted to hit 20F for at least ten days and tomorrow night's gonna be -8F. However, I'm used to the cold.

I WILL try, time permitting, to find a half-decent placeholder for Emperor Gramis Solidor (I think Rob made a few gray-bearded old imperial looking dudes), and maybe make Emperor Paramekia and Grand Vizier Razfahd, but that depends on how long some important business that needs to be taken care of this weekend takes.
I could look for some placeholders for those guys since I'm pretty familiar with what they look like. I doubt I'd find one that looks remotely close to Emperor Paramekia, because he looks kinda funny, so you might have to make that one HT.

Neutral civs will have a wonder called "Myrrh Trade" (as in FF CC) or something similar, which gives them an economic boost, since their best government, unlike the other two, doesn't have a tile trade bonus, etc.....
That sounds kinda interesting.

BTW, your units are great and you're more talented of a unit maker than I am. It's just when you go up against Plotinus, Aaglo, and Wyrmshadow every month it's tough to finish any higher than 4th.

It's just when you go up against Plotinus, Aaglo, and Wyrmshadow every month it's tough to finish any higher than 4th.
I agree completely. Like trying to make terrain to compete with Ares, or techs vs. SpacerOne, etc. etc. Most of us are lucky there's no Mod of the Month contest. So we all learn to make what we like & if others like it also that's the sprinkles on the cupcake.

I think your graphics are fine; I think one reason they tend not to do well in the competitions is simply that people do tend to vote for things they use themselves (annoyingly) and because your units and LHs are quite specifically for Final Fantasy they are less likely to be used for other purposes. Anyway, it's still a good idea to try to put together a beta with place-holders, because it gets things moving and varies what you're doing. I think you'll find it encouraging and motivating when you get feedback from other people on what you've put together, and the last few graphics won't be such a slog; also, people are likely to come up with all kinds of ideas (including perhaps alternative graphics to use) that will help with the final touches.

I like winter. This time of year depresses me a little because although the nights are still long, they are visibly getting shorter. I hate the long days and short nights of summer.

Well, Plot, that's pretty much why I'm pushing for the beta release: I'm not a unit-making machine like Aaglo is, and if I were to wait until I was finished making the units, then I'd be lucky to release the mod before 2050....

On top of that, I'm in a time crunch due to college (this past week, between work and college seemed like it would never end), so I'm having to shelve all my unit projects; I can make about 4 buildings or 2 LHs in the time I can make 1 unit.

Like I said, I've still gotta find or makes some tech icons to represent the following summoned creature techs:

FFIII: ?

FF IV (Baron): Odin, Produced by as yet to be determined SW the tech for which also needs to be named

FF V (Tycoon): Undecided

FF VI (Vector Emprie and Returner Alliance): Undetermeined summon produced by the Esper Statues SW which requires the Magicite unique tech.

FF VII (Shinra): Produces a Sephiroth Clone (Shiro's One-Winged Angel) from a Jenova Project SW which requires the Shinra SOLDIER Program unique tech.

FF VII (AVALANCHE): Bahamut Zero (Kinboat's Black Dragon) produced from a Huge Materia SW that requires the Unique tech Summon Materia.

FF VIII (Galbadia, Garden and Esthar): Leviathan (Orthanc's Asian Dragon) produced by a Garden SW requiring the unique tech Guardian Forces.

FF IX (Lindblum and Alexandria): a Ramuh summon (made by yours truly) is produced by a SW called the Eidolon Wall which requires the Eidolons unique tech.

FF X (Al Bhed and Yevon): Most likely a Yojimbo (Kinboat's Kensai) summon produced by a Temple of the Fayth (or something like that) SW, which requires the Farplance unique tech.

FF XI (Bastok, Selbina, San d'Oria, and Windhurst): Most likely a Garuda summon (Aaglo's Keeper of the secrets) produced by a yet to be named SW requiring a unique tech called Avatars

FF XII, Tactics and Tactics Advanced (Archades, Dalmasca, Lesalia and Bervenia): A summoned unit called Ultima (Kinboat's female angel) will be produced by a SW called The Zodiac Stones which requires a tech called Totemas (that way I can kind of tie the Zodiac Braves/Totemas/Espers from the three World of Ivalice games together, since most of the Zodiac Braves (including Ultima) also appear as Totemas in Tactics: Advanced and Espers in XII)

FF CC: No Idea

Help in finding graphics for these and suggestions for the games where I have a ? or "No Idea" would be appreciated.

@Chris85: that would be the plan... I have had a half-finished version of Paramekia (even the correct skin-color) sitting around on my HD for a few months, but couldn't figure out what to use for the hair.... Until I saw a hair prop for Aiko 3 over at Renderosity that looked exactly like Paramekia's hair (even had the wierd horn-like topknot thingies in it...) Just need to scrape together the cabbage to buy it.....

In FF3 the 2 summons that played the biggest role in the story was Bahamut and Ifrit. Since you already have a form of Bahamut for AVALANCHE, you could go with Ifrit.

Not sure about FF5, I haven't played that one in a while.

For FF6, maybe Maduin who was Terra's father.

FF CC didn't have summons but it does have a village of Carbuncles, so probably Carbuncle.

I haven't bothered to check to see if there are any suitable graphics available for any of these.

Ok, The lava Elemental it is for III's Ifrit and Phoenix for V...

Also, I just thunked of something (since I have no idea what Maudin looked like), did FF VI have Titan? If so, I could use Aaglo's Stone Giant for him.....

Top Bottom